Isabella Thor chairs - any good?

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We're thinking of getting a couple of Isabella Thor chairs. Does anyone have experience of these or similar in the same price range?

Just chairs, not recliner.

Thanks

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We're thinking of getting a couple of Isabella Thor chairs. Does anyone have experience of these or similar in the same price range?

Just chairs, not recliner.

Thanks

We have had them for years. They are fine, not exceptional and a bit overpriced. But better than most I guess.

John

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We have had a pair now for possibly three years, as a chair they are good and solid and make an acceptable recliner. We have the extensions.
But, they really weigh a lot for what they are and their camping role.
The "deal" came with "free" two chair Isabella bag, lumping a pair around is no joy, if you are the age where you would like to be just 75 again!
I think they were specified for up to 120 kg persons, thankfully we are way off testing that but it does imply they ought to be solid.
If buying again today they would remain a contender, but I wish they were lighter.
They still need an occasional screw tightening.
The fabric does fret up a little locally where the two stowed together shuffle against each other in transit. Camping chairs over the years I feel have become an item that has its finite life, these better than others we have had.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have 2, they are comfortable and supportive, although they take up quite a bit of space, tend to use them in the garden at home, and take smaller pair in caravan, think they are Quest, so long since Ive seen them I am not 100% sure

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have 2, they are comfortable and supportive, although they take up quite a bit of space, tend to use them in the garden at home, and take smaller pair in caravan, think they are Quest, so long since Ive seen them I am not 100% sure
Lafumas for us with a couple of aged wood and sailcloth directors chairs.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
We have tried chairs of that type before and TBH they don't suit me. We have had both normal chairs and recliners. I have never been a fan either of those cheap fold up camping chairs, canvas type, so when a more expensive set of those were recommended to me I was highly sceptical to say the least. However, having tried them, I bought a pair instantly and they are the best and comfiest chairs we have ever had. Everybody that has tried them has said the same. See
Vango Titan Chair | Camping-equipment | Vango UK

Just looked, the new variant, Vango Titan 2 is down from £70 to £54.95 at Winfields.
Vango Titan 2 Super Strength Chair | Winfields Outdoors

Last edited:

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
We have had a pair for about ten years. As previously stated, they do need the occasional screw tightening but the fabric has stood up well to very frequent use. although the elastic holding up the headrests has stretched and needs to be fastened with clothes pegs.

If I'm honest I don't think I would automatically go for the same as replacements. I find the way they are folded up for transit means quite a bit of fiddling about to store them in the underbed locker, and they do seem relatively heavy compared to newer arrivals from other manufacturers.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies.

We'd prefer high backed chairs and the headrest on the Isabella looks as if it might be good. Just a shame we can't get anywhere to try them out. The weight at 5.5Kg didn't seem excessive and maybe weight and durability is a trade off.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies.

We'd prefer high backed chairs and the headrest on the Isabella looks as if it might be good. Just a shame we can't get anywhere to try them out. The weight at 5.5Kg didn't seem excessive and maybe weight and durability is a trade off.

I agree the weight seems OK. I was surprised when others thought they are heavy. Like JTQ, ours came with the extensions. I much prefer this idea than those full recliner chairs, As they don’t double very well as dining chairs.

John

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
The weight comment was made in context of also owning some much older Lafuma Batyline chairs at less than half the weight 2.3 kgs LINK.

These I think are getting on for a decade old and though showing their age are still in service and the ones we pick up more readily for the day out picnicking.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Lafumas for us with a couple of aged wood and sailcloth directors chairs.

Definitely +1, and a darned sight cheaper!

If going to France the Lafuma shop in Marques Avenue near the Shuttle terminal sell them at good prices although I must admit not necessarily always in stock!

Oct 22, 2019
Visit site
We've had 2 for a few years now, they are kept in the original plastic packing bag and wedged/propped up to the front console chest during transit. Fit just grand there in our swift.
We are not overly tall and a little high backed really but find them very comfy when relaxed back an afternoon siesta!
For us the weight is not a problem, there seems to be a knack for opening them as I struggle with them but Mr Jim doesn't - so it must be me..
Sometimes they are on sale for 2 for x amount and works out a bit cheaper.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have tried chairs of that type before and TBH they don't suit me. We have had both normal chairs and recliners. I have never been a fan either of those cheap fold up camping chairs, canvas type, so when a more expensive set of those were recommended to me I was highly sceptical to say the least. However, having tried them, I bought a pair instantly and they are the best and comfiest chairs we have ever had. Everybody that has tried them has said the same. See
Vango Titan Chair | Camping-equipment | Vango UK

Just looked, the new variant, Vango Titan 2 is down from £70 to £54.95 at Winfields.
Vango Titan 2 Super Strength Chair | Winfields Outdoors
Just look at the Vango Titan Chair they will be ideal for me plenty of room and the Max Load is great i have made a note of this (y)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The weight comment was made in context of also owning some much older Lafuma Batyline chairs at less than half the weight 2.3 kgs LINK.

These I think are getting on for a decade old and though showing their age are still in service and the ones we pick up more readily for the day out picnicking.
Just look at these the height and maximum weight would be and issue

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts