Isle of Arran ferry to Kintyre

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
First post for me so hope I'm in right place!

We're going on our first caravan holiday to Scotland for about 5 weeks, and planned to get ferry from Androssan to Brodick on Arran, for few days, and then ferry from Lochranza to Claonaig,on Kintyre, travelling on up past Oban to Onich and so on up north.

Question is, is the road suitable for towing when we get off ferry from Claonaig till it joins the A83?

Towing a Senator Indiana with VW Sharan.

Any advice appreciated.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Karen

We did the same journey two years ago. Mistake number 1 was staying overnight at Sandylands caravan park, Saltcoats. The absolutely worst site I have been to in my life. Try the CC site at Craigie gardens Ayr. Not too far from Ardrossan.

We dirries as you plan , not cheap, about

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks, Alan for all the info. We were going to use the site at Lochranza but will look at the one you suggested now, and the CC one on Kintyre. We're doing a 3 day trial run at a local site next week, and then shall start our tour on 6 May, the same time you were there last year. Hoping for fine weather, but more concerned about the possibility of fuel shortages.

Thanks again

Karen

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Karen

Yes the weather was very good when we went. We are a bit fussy with sites and I have to say Seal Shore was in my opinion the best. If you let the Mod give me your e-mail address I'll happily send you some of the pics we took. If you live near Cirencester Gloucestershire you can pop round for a cuppa an dchat.

Cheers

Alan

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Karen,

Please think very carefully about your holiday.We live in Scotland and the strike at Grangemouth this weekend is causing problems for people trying to fill up with petrol/diesel.

Some garages are limiting the amount you can buy at any one time ,but a lot of garages are running out of supplies because of panic buying.We are also supposed to be starting our holiday touring the very north of Scotland after the holiday weekend but are going to monitor the situation during the coming week and maybe postpone it until supplies are back to normal.

If you want up to date news... try BBC Scotland News on your computer.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Maureen

OMG.

We are off to Cornwall 10 days time. According to the news Grangemouth supplies 33% of th ewhole UK fuel. It may well be that down south will be as bad as up north.

Who knows the latest????

Chers

Alan

Jun 13, 2007
Visit site
I brimmed my tank last week and just as well as it was on the local news tonight that even garages in EDINBURGH are running out of fuel. They're also saying Lothian Buses may not run on Sunday because they may not get their usual delivery of fuel. It is being prioritised to keep the petrol stations stocked. I am also worried about this as I go on my first tour in 2 weeks, to the same area as you actually Alan. I'm starting down from Glasgow and working my way up to Machrihanish. And I know from previous visits that the fuel in that area is ridiculously expensive at the best of times. Funnily enough tho, some ways down the road in Dunoon, and occasionally Lochgilphead, it's the same as what I pay in Glasgow.

Apr 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Maureen, I'll have a look at other forum for sites, and yes, we are thinking of alternatives if fuel situation continues - may even go to France, we've been few times with tent, will check out ferries...

We live in North Devon, so if you run out of fuel on way down to Cornwall, Netti and Alan, you're welcome to pop in!

Karen

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Karen

Fingers crossed the fuel thing gets sorted before monday week.My local garage has plenty of diesel but they say the unleaded petrol is in short supply.

Coincidentally my old mum and dad live at Fremington N Devon.

Hope your Scottish tour doesn't get spoilt.

Cheers

Alan

Feb 26, 2007
Visit site
Karen,

Just in case there's a misunderstanding......I didn't mean a different forum.

It's this forum BUT under the heading UK parks & Touring

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
A a resident of Ardrossan I highly reccomend Arran as a holiday destination. I would however agree that SandyLands in Saltcoats is a horrible park and if you are looking for a site near the ferry try the Caravan Club site The Ranch in Maybole it is fantastic and just about 45 minutes drive from the Arran ferry.

TRENDING THREADS