Isle of Arran

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
We are planning to visit Arran this year and I wondered if anyone has any help and advice they might offer. Some questions I have are below but any knowledge would be appreciated.
We plan to take the Claonaig to Lochranza ferry which I know can't be booked - what is the waiting time like?
Any campsites recommended for a touring caravan?
Where to go and what to see?
Where to get diesel on the island or do we fill up on the mainland?
Where to eat?
Any other things we should know?
Thanks.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Six years ago we did a grand tour up the west coast.

We sailed from Ardrossan to Brodick. Spent a week at Seal Shore site Kildonnan. Sloping grass virtually on the beach. The owners were great.

Lovely facilities with super power showers.

Fuel is approx 30 p more a litre than the mainland.

Fill up before you get the ferry!

Next door is the friendly comfortable Kildonnan Hotel. Excellent meals with stunning views of Ailsa Craig and the beach /sea,. The same view you have from the front of your caravan.
We then travelled to the north of the island and boarded the ferry at Lochranza.
There is a site at Lochranza but IMO not as good as Seal Shore.
Arran has a lot to offer. We had a great breakfast at the local golf club even though we don't play golf.
Do not stay at the Sandylands site at Saltcoats!!

The north of the island is very much like the Highlands with breathtaking scenery.

You'll enjoy it.

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info.
L-W, although it's the same distance from us to either of the ferries I prefer not to have to travel the A9 if i can help it. Also Glasgow and north Ayrshire does not appeal too much! I live to the west of Inverness so Fort William etc, is a good route for me.

Dustydog, I looked at seal shore and though it would be a good venue, thanks for the confirmation, what put you off Sandylands? I thought fuel would have a premium, thanks again.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Highlander.
Avoid Sandylands.
Well overpriced. No view at all. The Ayr to Glasgow railway runs between the site and the beach.
The tourer Section Is so small and cramped, on grassy dirt.
When we were there the toilets were a very rough dirty portacabin.
The bar come lounge was full of people worse the wear for 10 pints of Drybrough Heavy.
The week before someone was stabbed to death in the bar.

Stay at the CC site 10 miles to the nortb

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
www.visitarran.net/transport/claonaig_lochranza_ferry_isle_of_arran.html gives info on ferries.
We went to Lochranza campsite, deer wandering through the campsite (which you must not feed). Lovely site next to a golf course. Plenty of places to eat and I seem to remember a garage on the east side. The Lagg hotel down south does best 'posh' fish and chips. As with all Isles and West Coast always keep fuel topped up (some may say different), but we lived on the West Coast and often they run out. You can drive all round the island in a couple of hours. Arran is a mini Scotland, mountains in the north and lowlands in the south. Also be aware thee are Adders on the island, not round campsite but on the hills. Photos of campsite if you want to PM me.

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
Hope these are ok Highlander 09
100_1508-1.jpg

100_1491.jpg
100_1527.jpg

100_1476.jpg

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
The deer wander in between caravans and tents, but you are told not to feed them as they can do a lot of damage if they think the caravan is a source of food, but it was lovely seeing them wandering around.

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
Sorry photos are all separate. I was trying to put several on but it would only do one at a time.

Also please note the B8001 from the A83 to Claonaig is single tracked most of the way, but we have done it several times with no problem. Enjoy the scenery and when about 2 or 3 miles from the ferry terminal if you look across the sea, subject to weather and ferry times, you can see the ferry coming and going. Ferry journey is 30 mins approx.

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Christine. we have deer in the croft field next to our house but never as close as that.
Thanks again for your help. Can't wait until the end of August now!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts