Isle of Wight Ferry

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi Everyone

Read the thread about going to the Isle of Wight and we fancy it this year.

Was wondering which is the most convenient ferry to cross with - Red Funnel or Wightlink (I've used Wightlink before and they're ok - despite having to drive through the middle of Portsmouth). What's access like to the Red Funnel terminal?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Mac

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mac

We are booked on the red funnel that goes from southampton - east cowes. We always use this ferry as we used wightlink before and it generally was not as pleasant. It is very easy to get to the terminal for the red funnel where as the wightlink was a little trickier. The orchards do a package which combines site fees and ferry crossings.

The staff at red funnel cannot do enough and on one ocassion we were early and they let us go on the earlier ferry.

Hope this helps

Ian

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hey Ian

Thanks for that - I think you may have swung our vote! I agree that the Wightlink terminal is a 'little tricky' to get to.

As for the Orchards - have you been? Could you recommend it? We want a site that has some facilities for our little girl but don't want it to be too noisy/boisterous/crowded. I've been to Nodes Point - is it anything like that?

Cheers

Mac

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mac

The orchards is a great site, and ideal for a little girl. We havn't visited for a couple of years but can't wait to return. When we went last time my son was 7 and he thoroughly enjoyed it there is a games room and a toddler park and even a small outside pool for toddlers. I would highly recommend it to anyone. The pitches are also spacious especially the hards. The site has an onsite take-away and great shop. The site gets extremely quiet once it gets dark so is ideal for young children.

The only problem we have ever had with the site is when we visited during easter a while ago the grass pitches at the bottom of the site were completely water logged and they had to use the site tractor to pull the vans out. Ever since we have paid a little more for a hard standing at the top of the site.

Hope this helps with your decision !

Ian

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mac

The orchards is a great site, and ideal for a little girl. We havn't visited for a couple of years but can't wait to return. When we went last time my son was 7 and he thoroughly enjoyed it there is a games room and a toddler park and even a small outside pool for toddlers. I would highly recommend it to anyone. The pitches are also spacious especially the hards. The site has an onsite take-away and great shop. The site gets extremely quiet once it gets dark so is ideal for young children.

The only problem we have ever had with the site is when we visited during easter a while ago the grass pitches at the bottom of the site were completely water logged and they had to use the site tractor to pull the vans out. Ever since we have paid a little more for a hard standing at the top of the site.

Hope this helps with your decision !

Ian
Hi Ian

Thanks very much for your thoughts - they're very helpful.

It sounds like the site is on different levels? Are the hardstanding pitches at the top of the site - and by the sounds of things, they're more spread out? Are they therefore more expensive?

Really appreciate your input.

Mac

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi Ian

Thanks very much for your thoughts - they're very helpful.

It sounds like the site is on different levels? Are the hardstanding pitches at the top of the site - and by the sounds of things, they're more spread out? Are they therefore more expensive?

Really appreciate your input.

Mac

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mac, yes the site is terraced if you have google earth you can see the site on there. The pitches are definitely more spread out at the top end of the site, these pitches are also closest to the entrance and close to pool ! The hard standings are an extra

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Cheers Ian

With the combination of your words/advice and looking at the site map, I'm putting together a mental image of the site!

Looks like we'll follow your advice.

When are you going?

Cheers

Mac

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mac we are going from Good Friday till the following Wednesday. Family all excited about it !

I will try and find some previous photos of the site and try to email them to you if you wish.

Glad to help

Ian

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
One of your readers is asking for the best route to the Island, well I perfer Lymington to Yarmouth (Wightlink) because the ferry only takes 30 minutes to cross the solent agaist Red funnel 1 hour and 5 minutes, Portsmouth to Fishbourne (Wightlink) 45 Minutes to cross. I hope this information will be of use to your reader. regards, Brian Knight.

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi Mac

We are booked on the red funnel that goes from southampton - east cowes. We always use this ferry as we used wightlink before and it generally was not as pleasant. It is very easy to get to the terminal for the red funnel where as the wightlink was a little trickier. The orchards do a package which combines site fees and ferry crossings.

The staff at red funnel cannot do enough and on one ocassion we were early and they let us go on the earlier ferry.

Hope this helps

Ian
I am sorry to tell you that red funnel will not let vehicles go earley than there booking times now unless you pay additional fare, I have been sitting on Royal pier Southampton and see feries leaving only 3/4 full and still made people waite.

regards,Brian Knight Isle of Wight Resident

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Hey Ian

Thanks for that - I think you may have swung our vote! I agree that the Wightlink terminal is a 'little tricky' to get to.

As for the Orchards - have you been? Could you recommend it? We want a site that has some facilities for our little girl but don't want it to be too noisy/boisterous/crowded. I've been to Nodes Point - is it anything like that?

Cheers

Mac
Mac If you need a camping site on the Isle of Wight that is good quiet and clean toilet block play area for children I would reconmend chine-farm camping site

Military Road

Atherfield Bay

Chale,Nr. Ventnor

Isle of Wight

PO30 2JE Tel:(01983)740901

www.chine-farm.co.uk

email:info@chine-farm.co.uk

Mac if you should happen to use this site please let me know how you get on by email Brian Knight

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I have family on the Isle of Wight and visit reguarly. If taking a car or car and Caravan I have always used Red Funnel, easy to get to all main roads and always very helpful. Definatley second the Orchards. Not been for a couple of years but a really nice site. Shower blocks and pool were very clean. The site is split level, we was at the bottom end in one corner which is nice. Very quiet area but everything's accessable by car. If going out for a meal you must go to The New Inn in Shalfleet, we go there for a meal everytime we visit the island. Have a nice time !

Mar 26, 2006
Visit site
Hi, we stayed at the Orchard site in March 07, lovely site, clean and the staff helpful. We went on the red funnel no problem at all will definitly go again, needed the car to get to places but all quite close lovely place, reccommended.

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi Guys

Thanks for all the info.

Couple more things -

Is The Orchards one of these sites with evening entertainment?

And the ferry to Yarmouth - how does that compare price wise with the others?

Oh Ian - if you're still on, yes - a few photies would be great mate!

Cheers

Mac

Dec 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mac

After much discussion and work arrangements we have decided not to visit the orchards no longer instead we will be visiting somerset for about 2/3 days. Had a look for photos cant seem to find them anywhere. They will probably turn up when I no longer need them. Sorry about that.

Last time we visited the site there was no entertainment however sites do change. Not sure on prices. As the others have pointed out wightlink is shorter time than red funnel so it is a hard decision really.

sorry bout the pics, hope you have a good holiday whatever your decision.

Ian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
mark, when I went there a few years ago at Spring Bank Holiday you could get membership at the adjacent community club.They run disco's, quizes etc. and gave temporary membership to persons staying at the site for a very nominal sum.

Our daughter was about 10 at the time and she had a great time.

I think the prices are similar for all routes so no great saving using Lymingtonto Yarmouth but is is easy lading / unloading, well organised and regular. They had 3 ferries on the route so with half hour trip and say half hour for unloading and loading there was no great wait.

Ray

TRENDING THREADS