Isle of Wight

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello there

Has anyone stayed at the Caravan Club or Camping and Caravan Club small CL sites on the Isle of Wight. If so, can you let me have your views.

Thanks

Ann

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, we stayed at one listed for Newport last year, it was awful and we sent a letter of complaint to the CC and it's been removed this year. We did look at a couple whilst staying there and if you don't have children, the one at Merstone (listed under Newport)looked a lovely site. Its well placed in the centre of the island, so easy access to most places. We did also look at one near Ryde, but alas that one is also not in the book this year. I notice that there is now only 5 CC CL sites on the island now, so I wonder how many CCC ones there are. I have said, that if we return, we would probably stay on Grange Farm (www.brighstonebay.fsnet.co.uk) as this one seemed unspoilt, with beach access. Good hunting

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ann, how small a site are you looking for? or do you just want a peaceful site?

I live on the Island an have been using Beaper Farm Camping site for the last 30 odd years as a place togoand relax. It is a commercial site, as such, but has not got clubhouse etc etc. It is a basic site, has a small shop on site in the main season, good toilet and shower facilities, and is very well kept and quiet.

It is located just on the outskirts of Ryde, with a 24 hour Tesco 2 mins down the road, easy access from the main road, and easy access to the rest of the Island.

Why not give them a ring on 01983615210 and ask for a brochure?

Two pwoplw on an electric hook up is

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just a word about Brighstone Grange, it is located at the very southernmost point on the Island, and access with a caravan, from the ferry ports can be problematic if you choose he wrong roads togo on, being narrow with some very tight corners. The site is set back from the Military Road and is right on the edge of cliffs literally overlookin the sea, with very little protection when the wind gets up, in fact you will see how all the trees along that coast grow at an angle, reflecting how strong the wind is, for the majority of the time.Access to the beach is down the cliff, and this coastline is diminishing each year as it is washed into the sea.

There is nothing for miles each side of the site, the nearest main towns being Freshwater to the left and Ventnor to the right , as you exit the site,or Newport, which is in the middle of the Island.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, we stayed at one listed for Newport last year, it was awful and we sent a letter of complaint to the CC and it's been removed this year. We did look at a couple whilst staying there and if you don't have children, the one at Merstone (listed under Newport)looked a lovely site. Its well placed in the centre of the island, so easy access to most places. We did also look at one near Ryde, but alas that one is also not in the book this year. I notice that there is now only 5 CC CL sites on the island now, so I wonder how many CCC ones there are. I have said, that if we return, we would probably stay on Grange Farm (www.brighstonebay.fsnet.co.uk) as this one seemed unspoilt, with beach access. Good hunting
Thanks Janet, we will have a look at Merstone as we will just be the two of us.

Ann

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ann,

At easter we stayed on the Orchards CC affiliated site. Fully serviced pitch, indoor/outdoor pools, well kept site very clean and tidy, great views across a valley. Washrooms a bit out of date but very clean, pitches a bit small having to park car infront of the van. We had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay, the kids loved it.

You could try this site, don't know what it would be like in the middle of summer though if you like it quite ( I do)

Andy

Mar 30, 2005
Visit site
Ann,

At easter we stayed on the Orchards CC affiliated site. Fully serviced pitch, indoor/outdoor pools, well kept site very clean and tidy, great views across a valley. Washrooms a bit out of date but very clean, pitches a bit small having to park car infront of the van. We had a very relaxing and enjoyable stay, the kids loved it.

You could try this site, don't know what it would be like in the middle of summer though if you like it quite ( I do)

Andy
We stayed at the Orchards a couple of Octobers ago - site was fine but I imagine facilities could be very stretched in peak season, as even partly full it was pretty busy - and the power kept tripping (remember only about a third of pitches were using power) because everyone had their heating on as it was so cold!!! I o W lovely though - just a shame it costs so much to get a van & towcar over the water!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts