Isle of Wight

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Am thinking of going to Isle of Wight at end of June for two weeks.Have got a price of ferry (Wightlink using Tesco vouchers) of £140 flexi link from Portsmouth to Fishbourne.
Can anyone recomend sites and things to do,places to see.
Thanks in advance for any info.

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi dave,
It depends what kind of site you like, there are about 2,500 touring pitches on the Island.
If you like Club sites then the CC have Southlands near Newchurch and the C&CC have Adgestone , also near Newchurch.
Both are typically Club sites, good facilities but a bit remote and access especially to Adgestone is not particularly easy with very narrow single track roads.

If you like "all singing /dancing" sites then Park Resorts have Landguard at Shanklin, Nodes Point at Bembridge and Thorness at, Thorness near Cowes, then there is Whitecliff Bay near Sandown.
Typical commercial sites with all the facilities and the associated bits and pieces.

If you like a quiet base with just good facilities then Whitefield Forest near Ryde is an excellent site with large pitches, set in woodland but only a short way from Ryde in one direction and Sandown/Shanklin the other.

Places to visit...lots,,,,,Osborne House, East Cowes, Queen Victorias Island home: Carisbrooke Castle, Carisbrooke, Charles 1st was imprisoned there: Brading Roman Villa, one of the largest Roman Villas with amazing mosaics: Adgestone Vineyard, Adgestone: The Needles Pleasure Park and Battery, Alum Bay with its coloured sands: Yarmouth,picturesque village (one of many) and Harbour: Cowes, home of Sailing and East Cowes, birthplace of the Hovercraft: Freshwater and the Tennyson Trail:
Good shopping at Newport and Ryde (24hour Tesco at Ryde), Cowes has ainly Yachtie Shops with over priced Yachtie Gear.
Lots of god pubs and restaurants in most locations.

If you have anything in particular you want to know, ask me.

And if you are really lucky (or unlucky depending on your point of vie) you may even meet me........
smiley-cool.gif
or I may see you in Daventry next time I come up to see my Daughter

PS; The memory of Blckgang Chine as Carper remembers it is a long gone one, although still there, the whole lot has had to be moved inland a bit as the seaward side has all slipped away.

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi Damian The Whitefield site sounds perfect for us we'll have a look at the sites.Its very kind of you to give us some ideas and if you have any spare time when you are in Daventry it sounds great meeting up.
Many thanks
Dave

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Deli Dave_ said:
Thanks for that I'll have a look at the sites.
I see you are in Rugby we are in Daventry its a small world lol

It is a small world another forum I am on there is a member who lives just round the corner from me. My lad lives in Daventry as well.

Les

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Have a look at the Red Funnel advert in the club magazines. Ferry and five nights for £140. We've used it twice, and it's very good value.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
we go to orchard caravan site and find its cheaper for them to do the whole lot they will book your pitch and the ferry all in the one price apple durcombe is also nice but we are back to the orchard again .This time we are going from lyminton(may be spelt wrong )to yarmouth as its onl 10 mins when you dock we found southhampton very hectic can say the above sites are great .

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
……I hesitate to add to Damian’s excellent post.
He does mention the Needles and the Gun Battery.
Just to add that this site is also home to a small museum on the site of the UK’s once highly secret ballistic missile testing facility, built into the cliff.

http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/island-guide/places-to-visit/isle-of-wight-heritage-attractions/needles-rocket-testing-station/
(The above website is a good source of other IOW info)

The IOW ferries are considered to be the most expensive in the world mile for mile.(residents can obtain cheaper fares)
There was once a proposal to build a tunnel from Lymington to Yarmouth.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Just be aware I do belive that the Isle of Wight Festival is planning to move to the end of June in 2012. So if it is and you are still coming it might be best to keep away from Newport. Also the ferry fares will go trough the roof!
I live on the Island and we use Red Funnel quite a bit. Yes it is an hours trip but they can be a lot cheaper than Wightlink Otherwise the combined site/ferry deals are good...

Moderator note:
The word Wightlink substituted for unsuitable original description
Damian-Moderator

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The Isle of Wight Festival is indeed being run from the 22nd to 24th June 2012.
As in previous years, if you do want to either come over, or go back at this time you MUST book the ferry NOW as otherwise you will not stand a chance of getting on or off the Island.
As the festival starts officially on 22nd, people will be coming over prior to that along with all the "behind the scenes" traffic in the build up, and after, the clear up.

Newport will be busy, very busy, but a great atmosphere which usually means less people at the other attractions.
There is also a One Way road restriction put in place around Newport to try and ease the congestion, and it works quite well.

The Isle of Wight Festival and Bestival(later in the summer) are known throughout the festival world as being the most friendly of all.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
hunny said:
Just be aware I do belive that the Isle of Wight Festival is planning to move to the end of June in 2012. So if it is and you are still coming it might be best to keep away from Newport. Also the ferry fares will go trough the roof!
I live on the Island and we use Red Funnel quite a bit. Yes it is an hours trip but they can be a lot cheaper than Wightlink Otherwise the combined site/ferry deals are good...

Moderator note:
The word Wightlink substituted for unsuitable original description
Damian-Moderator
opps sorry about the mistype. ;)

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all for the input we'll have a good look at the sites.Usually go to France but its getting very expensive and we've never been there,it sounds very interesting.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Hope you have got good suspension we went there two years ago and the roads were absolutly terrilble, there were not only potholes but some of them were like craters!! Thought I was driving off road all the time
smiley-undecided.gif

Having said that agree with previous posters there is plenty to do, oh just remembered when we first went there 20 years ago, there was a pub with a differant type of whiskey for every day of the year, 365 differeant brands, it was still there when we went last time but we didnt go in, I dont like Whiskey!!!! sorry to wind you up but I cant for the life of me remember the name of it, perhaps someone will come to the rescue.
Also look out for the barge boat with an upper storey and a full size static mobile home on it's roof, think its on the road coming out of Yarmouth towards Newport.
Go for it Dave you will enjoy.
smiley-cool.gif

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The roads are still as bad. We now know that every council in England and Wales send all their potholes to us.
smiley-wink.gif

The pub with the 365 Whiskeys is the Wight Mouse at Chale.They do serve other pub drinks as well, amd the food is pretty good.
The Houseboat with the static van on top is at Bembridge Harbour along the road between Bembridge and St Helens.(the opposite side of the Island from the Yarmouth/Newport road)

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Damian-Moderator said:
The roads are still as bad. We now know that every council in England and Wales send all their potholes to us.
smiley-wink.gif

The pub with the 365 Whiskeys is the Wight Mouse at Chale.They do serve other pub drinks as well, amd the food is pretty good.
The Houseboat with the static van on top is at Bembridge Harbour along the road between Bembridge and St Helens.(the opposite side of the Island from the Yarmouth/Newport road)

Oopps, Thanks for putting me right Damien must of read the map upside down
smiley-laughing.gif

Ps; Went to Cornwall earlier today for work, armed with Sat Nav and printed RAC route planner, also Google Earthed it yesterday and I STILL GOT LOST
smiley-frown.gif

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Quote "; Went to Cornwall earlier today for work, armed with Sat Nav and printed RAC route planner, also Google Earthed it yesterday and I STILL GOT LOST
smiley-frown.gif
"

Dont even MENTION Cornwall to me Kev, went there a couple of years ago with brand new van and on day 5 of ownership on one of Cornwalls dirt track roads called A roads, put a dent from front to back on the nearside thanks to the wonderful pruning by hacking of the local Council.
So, new van and 2 weeks after buying had a new side!!!!!!
My car is now fitted with an engine immobilser if it crosses the border between Devon and Cornwall.

pS: It dosent matter which way up you read a map on the Island, whichever way you go within 45 minutes you will get wet !!!!!unless you stop at the coast
smiley-tongue-out.gif

TRENDING THREADS