Isuzu Bighorn Plaisir

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Hi Everyone.

Anyone got one of the above mentioned 4x4s? Hubby's seen one and fallen in love with it!. We tow an Abbey GTS Vogue 417. Oh and its a 3.1litre. Just wondering what they're like on diesel and towing capability. Many thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
claire, we've got a 3.5 trooper and quite simply we are unable to fault it. there have been some recalls however on either the 3.0 or the 3.1 motors but check out the isuzu owners club on www.itocuk.co.uk

cheers, dave.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Claire,

Your Hubby is right to fall in love - I first had a SWB Trooper and was so impressed I traded it for a LWB Bighorn. In their day they were amongst the most respected towcars and can hold their own with more moderns like the Sorento, Disco and Shogun. The 3.1 is the one to have - bullet proof reliabilty and should go to at least 250K miles with regular service - there is one reported case, on the owners club website, of a Farmer getting 750k before it got a "bit smoky" Aussie built Landrovers had a version of this engine fitted as it was so respected.

Basically with a kerbweight of about 2,2 tonnes, 130kg ball limit and tow limit of 3.5 tonnes they can tow any van on the market and are as economical as any big 4x4 can be, my auto does around 30mpg solo and 25 towing. It tows with little pitch and is not affected by sidewinds or truck deflections.

Don't be put off by the year, mine is 94, and aim for the lowest miles and best condition you can find.

Most Imports had a very easy life in Japan and have been strictly maintained although translations of service records are rare. Getting a freshly imported vehicle fully serviced after purchase is recommended.

Insurance is no more expensive - Tesco and Direct Line are two companies that will not differentiate between an import and it's UK equivalent model - there are others listed on the owners club website, which incidentally is a must visit site.(IOCUK)

If you are a DIY'er parts are readily available and cheap, how does

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts