isuzu trooper auto or manual?

Mar 22, 2005
Visit site
we have been looking around for a diesal 3.1 isuzu trooper and have found that there are lots of imports about, at quite reasonable prices. but most of these seem to be automatic. would the automatic be any good for towing an average size caravan?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi John - having had both I would go for the auto every time. Better control, less stain, so smooth.

I am now a complete convert to auto's but at one time would have rejected them out of hand.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I've got an automatic Monterey which, of course, is a Trooper just under another name and, over the 5 years I've had it so far, I've never had any problems when towing, not even crossing the Pyrenees or Alps.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John - most 4x4's (perhaps not the smaller ones) are built to go anywhere. This means that they are built to tolerate more extreme conditions. Towing a caravan in a Trooper should be no problem for an automatic or manual.

The only negative thing I have heard about the Trooper is that the 3.0L diesel has had its problems. Not anything to do with the 3.1L tho'.

There is an active owners club (do a search on Google or whatever) and when I last looked at its web site it seemed to give some excellent tips etc. May be worth a look.

As you may have noticed I am a Land Rover enhusiast but when I look at the load space in a Trooper I am very envious. I have to admit that the design of the Trooper takes a lot of beating.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
John,

I tow with 96 Trooper 3.1 SWB and it is an ace towcar, currently drag a Bailey Olkahoma at 1.5 Tonne and it copes well. It's manual and has a very good clutch action but I have towed with Auto before and it is better in every way - Auto with cruise control and a stonkin big diesel is the only way to fly!

Considered an import (bighorn) and they do have all the toys but the insurance cost put me off.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
John,

Sorry fogot to mention - there is an issue with the radiator on the 3.1 TD - they come with a two row as standard and I find this is operating at it's limit at high speed and towing up long motorway inclines. Temp gauge goes up to hot. Imports and models with AC should have the heavy duty rad which is no problem.

I have fitted a kenlow fan to give peace of mind.

David

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Even when not hanging about on alpine mountain passes my automatic 3.5 petrol doesn't show any temperature increase on the gauge when towing a 1300kg caravan.

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Yes but clive was asking about the 3.1 which is a diesel and has different characteristics under high power - it has to get rid of more heat because of the higher boost pressure under high load and does benifit from the HD rad.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts