It’s finally time

May 29, 2018
Visit site
Today, we finally begin our first proper adventure with the caravan. Four nights away in a little place near Norwich. I’m hoping the roads aren’t too twisty to get there so fingers crossed all goes well. Will keep you all posted.

May 29, 2018
Visit site
So it’s been relatively successful. The van towed beautifully for 4 hours on a totally non motorway route.

We tripped the site out as soon as we arrived because I hadn’t turned all my gubbins off inside so as I connected to the EHU, everything tried to switch on. However we have a had a couple of other campsite wide trips so maybe not me. (Worth noting it’s only a small site with 5 pitches)

I’m now sorted with the water and heating although I do find the Swift touchscreen and the truma panel do tend to conflict with each other (made worse by the fact that our Truma panel despite being brand new needs a HUGE push on the knob to get anything selected)

Is a replacement truma panel expensive???

The awning (also new) had one pipe bladder leaking however it still went up relatively ok.

Other than that I think ok and we have a list of things to now get before our next adventure.

Was a little put to shame by a couple who managed to to fold an awning twice the size of ours into the same size bag with room to spare.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry about that man , at least you've getting out and about and trip one is sorted and time for you to chill out , hope you didn't forget the beer or champagne for your first trip mate , hopefully your next trip will be easier quicker and more chilled out , the more you get out the quicker yous will get into a routine between the two of yous when setting up , enjoy B)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes well done, at least you had the EHU cable with you, Last big trip out I forgot mine and had to go and buy. Another one, have three now.

Awnings, well known as DIAB, Divorce In A Bag, with practice you can get them back in the bag.
Good luck on your next trips out. WE can't get out as Anglian water have dug up the road to put new water pipes in. Maybe another two weeks.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Was a little put to shame by a couple who managed to to fold an awning twice the size of ours into the same size bag with room to spare.

If you have a look on youtube for an awning the same as yours, I am certain you will find a putting up/folding video. Is you can under warratny? If so, maybe a case for a claim for the Truma Panel.

I do find the Swift touchscreen and the truma panel do tend to conflict with each

How so?

May 29, 2018
Visit site
The touch screen can change the temperature of the van and this gets replicated on the Truma panel, as does the choice of energy combination however for water temp, you can select off, eco or hot on the touch screen but not the boost option. There is also no option on the touchscreen for the speed of the fan. Plus a couple of times I’ve come back to find that both have changed down to only 10 degrees - definitely not warm enough.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I would be a little suspicious about the EHU tripping the pillar it was a single user pillar. Do you mean the MCB or the RCD tripped? You would have to have left your heating on full bore, the fridge on mains, and be drawing some serious power at 12V to make the MCB - assumed 16A - trip. If it was the RCD on the pillar that tripped you may have some mains leakage or a faulty EHU cable.

Investigation needed methinks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Being a bit of dinosaur having been working with systems requiring multiple redundancy I have reservations re touch screens. Everything working from virtually a single source causes me angst. Cars with no control knobs for basics such as temperature or air direction must create distractions for the drivers. Give me tactile controls for the basics and touch screen for the nice to haves. Switches and knobs can generally be sorted or worked around if there’s a problem.

Ps typed and submitted by touchscreen :whistle:

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
otherclive said:
Being a bit of dinosaur having been working with systems requiring multiple redundancy I have reservations re touch screens. Everything working from virtually a single source causes me angst. Cars with no control knobs for basics such as temperature or air direction must create distractions for the drivers. Give me tactile controls for the basics and touch screen for the nice to haves. Switches and knobs can generally be sorted or worked around if there’s a problem.

You'd better get used to "soft" controls… It's a relentless journey that won't reverse. It's much cheaper to use "virtual" network based switching than to wire in individual switches. I could argue that there is less to go wrong!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Guzzilazz said:
otherclive said:

You'd better get used to "soft" controls… It's a relentless journey that won't reverse. It's much cheaper to use "virtual" network based switching than to wire in individual switches. I could argue that there is less to go wrong!

Yes but do the savings get passed on to the consumer? When it does go wrong you lose a lot if not all functionality and it’s more expensive to fix. Such is progress.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
The touch screen can change the temperature of the van and this gets replicated on the Truma panel, as does the choice of energy combination however for water temp, you can select off, eco or hot on the touch screen but not the boost option. There is also no option on the touchscreen for the speed of the fan. Plus a couple of times I’ve come back to find that both have changed down to only 10 degrees - definitely not warm enough.

It sounds as if you have a similar system to mine except I have the Alde rather than Truma.. Fistly I dont use the Swift Control Panel for the heating. There is a setting there for the heating to be controlled manually,, which is what I have set. In this case I just use the Alde panel. I also found (there is a thread somewhere about this) that the sensor for the heating is completely innaccurate. Have a look and you may find a temperature offset. I take a small thermostat with me, set the heating to the temperature I want and then compare that to the portable thermostat. Usually finding that its around 3.5 degrees cooler than my Alde Panel suggests I can then set the offset to match the portable thermometer.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I agree Thingy, our Alde display always reckons it is warmer than it is in the van. It will say it is 23 degrees which should be quite warm enough, but it’s cold, so we tend to set the thermostat 3 or 4 degrees higher. It is not that I am “Nesh” as they say in your part of the country.
Mel

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
Sorry, just to be clear it tripped out all of the posts on the campsite, not just ours.

Congrats and a big Well Done to you Ste6T9.

Score and claim bonus points if you can do it just after dark and at breakfast time :p

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Ste6t9 said:
We turned up at 7.30 in total darkness and tripped out 4 other vans and 2 motorhomes.

Bonus points all round.
Five pitch site! Bonus points all round, including the owner!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts