Italian lakes

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello. We've got the ferry booked for next summer but not decided where to go. I fancy the Italian lakes. Any suggestions please? Will I be plagued by mosquiutoes and humidity? Thanks in advance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bernadette

We have been to the Italian Lakes twice, 06 and 07. In 06 we stayed near Lake Como and then went on to near Venice. This year we went down to Rome first and visited Lake Iseo on the way home.

In neither place were we greatly troubled by mosquitos or the humidity. The Italian Lakes tend to have quite a lot of flash thunder storms in our experience - a combination of mountainous terrain, lakes and high temperatures. The Lakes, also, provide cooling breezes which offset the temperatures.

If you want to see my camping reviews have a look on this thread

and,also, on the Overseas campsite section of caravanning4u.co.uk and I've posted my reviews of this year's sites on this thread recently "Camping Riva di San Pietro" and "Camping Roma Flash Sporting". I've, also, given info on Italy on

"Campsites in Italy" and "We're new to caravanning please advise" threads on this forum.

Near Lake Como we stayed at Camping La Riva and on Lake Iseo at Camping Riva di San Pietro. We loved the last site where we had a pitch with stupendous views of the Lakes and mountains.

We love Italy. If you have any further specific questions please post them and I'll try to answer them.

Best wishes

Tim

Apr 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi Bernadette

My wife and I stayed for 6 weeks in Italy this year, staying at three campsites in the Lakes. We travelled between the middle of May and the end of June. The weather was mostly great, with the odd thunderstorm. We stayed at Camping La Riva on Lake Como in a place called Sorrico. We had a pitch by the lakeside and it was beautiful looking across the lake. The town was not very 'touristy', more a typical Italian town. We also stayed at Lake Garda in Lazise which is very convenient for Verona and Venice - both 'must visits'. We stayed at a campsite called La Quercia, there, which was very good. This is a large site with great amenities and facilities. We try and pitch away from these facilities, preferring the peace. The site has areas which accomodate this. The towns around Lake Garda will easily fill a week of exploring. Lastly, we stayed at Lake Maggiore and had the best pitch of all. The campsite was called 'Camping Parisi'. The site is a bit haphazard, with, mostly, camper vans parked all over the place. We were lucky enough to get a pitch by the lakeside where the views (including at night sitting with a bottle of wine) were simply stunning. The faclilities at all of these sites were reaaly good. We travelled from Hull to Rotterdam and down through Germany and Switzerland. We prefer to pay the vignettes in Switzerland at around

Sep 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

Just back from Lake Garda without the van. Pleanty of sites from the bottom of the lake around Garda up the east side of the lake. It looks like they may be busy in high season with europeans (not Brits)

Well worth the trip although we like Lake Como better although camp sites did not seem to abound.

Wayne

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Hello Bernadette,

happy to reply to you directly from Italy. I would like to ask you if this visit will be the first one and you will prefer to stay near Venezia. If yes, I will suggest Lago di Garda the most eastern and beautiful in the North of Italy. If you need more information I will happy to reply to you.

I live in Milan and I have been in all Lakes in the North of Italy.

Regards

Dario

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
A very interesting thread and thanks to all contributors.

I've heard that pitches in Italy tend to be very small and somewhat unsuitable to large vans i.e. 7+ m long and needing to put up an awning. I have a mover fitted so narrow approach should not be too much of a problem so long as the pitch is reasonable.

Any views on this please ?

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ray

We were in Italy in May in the Ligurian region. The pitches are smaller and caravans were closer together than say a CC site here. However, many had awnings or sunshades on the sides, so there was room for these. In general, the British vans were by far the longest, as ours was on the sites we used, it being 6.5 metres long. I think though, you will manage without too much trouble. Hope this helps.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts