Sep 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi - Sorry about last message left today at 9.01 but to carry on from there, we intend to broaden our european trip next year to lake garda but hear such horror stories of low bridges and tunnels in Italy. Could anyone advise whether ther any, travelling through France fr Calais over the swiss border and then into italy, or can anyone give us a better route to take. We would also be interested in any sites with good toilet facilities on the south end of the lake - Thanks Paul & Jan

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Er are also looking to go to the southern part of Lake Garda next year although we are still studying our route.

We will be going to a site called "Fornella". We have heard good reports about the restaurant and also the cleanliness of the toilet blocks on this site. The site also offers larger pitches for a small supplement.

Aug 10, 2008
Visit site
www.camping.it/

Site above is full of options for lake garda. Which we will be visiting again next weekend. Toilets ? never seen or herd any horror stories.

As for the route, Norfolk line seems to be doing pretty good deals these days [cheap] they cross to dunkirk, which is as good if not better than the calais route for getting to Italy germany ect ect. no difference in mileage,and as you are towing no diference in time either.

goog luck.

Cheaper fuel in luxemburg, no tolls till you drop back into france,if thats the way you want to go.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We spent a week at Camping Fornella this Summer.

Its a really nice site, with lovely pool areas (busy or quiet), which shut at 7pm so if you are pitched nearby, you dont have the noiseoo late.

The restaurant is indeed very good, with huge portions. The female 'maitre d' was so friendly and all the waiting staff were really good. It does get busy, so you may have to wait on occasions, but its worth it. One tip though from what we saw of others (love people watching!) is perhaps not to order Pizza with a 'normal'plated meal, as they arrive at different times - even the staff pointed this out to you when ordering.

The pitches, as I had expected, are smaller than in France for example, and a little on the tight side in places, but you just get on with it.

The site is located on the south western side of the Lake. The western side is by far the prettier in my opinion, with the drive up to Riva del Garda really lovely (loads of tunnels), but NOT for caravans!

The eastern side is far busier, with no tunnels, so thats where you will find all the coach parties.

We would go back to Fornella. The area is beautiful, and day trips to Verona and Venice are easy from the site.

If you like wine, Valpolicella is made in this region also.

Hi Paul,

I was at Lake Gardar this year for my holidays (not with the caravan).The place is stunning and peacfull apart from Sundays when all the Italians decended on the lake,with very narrow roads and very small roundabouts it was quiet stresfull just driving never mind towing.They are lots of sites on the lake to pitch up but my main concern was the suden down power of tennis ball sized hailstones.We were luck enough to be 6 miles away from the storm,when we got back to the hotel there were about 30 cars all damaged.ie windows smashed dented roofs,wings anddamage to the hotel.The manager of the hotel said this was only the 2nd time in 100yrs this had happend but when I got home I went to u tube and saw lots of ppl with movies of the hail.So much for twice in 100 yrs.I checked out the caravans that were static on sites and they seemed to have a canopy covering the whole caravan.If you want any photos sent of the damage plz contact me.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
We went to lake Garda in June this year, travelled down via Luxembourg, Switzerland and stayed at Camping San Francesco in Desenzano, really first class facillities.

Steve W

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi Paul just back from 6 week trip with 4 of those in lake garda have been there 3 times now once from calais down and in through switzerland but the gottard tunnel was closed due to a landslide so that made the crossing to italy difficult the other two times it has been down through france from cherbourg over mont blanc which i think is by far the easier of the two border crossings i have stayed in a few sites on the southern end but found ourselves returing this year for the third time to camping san francesco which is a beatuiful site with large lake front pitches and awell kept site with every thing you could need the lake side of the site is peaceful and relaxing and the other side has the pool complex and activites areas, you will have no problem driving there as you come off the moterway at the sirmione exit and its a simple 3 k to the site as a base you can easily tour the lake and surrounding areas like millan modena or take in the opera in verona or take a train in to venice . there is a food and drinks wholesaler practically across the road a good caravan shop about 8 k to the east, and everything you want or need at hand. best of all the site is well run and secure and has large and well laid out pitches, it is a site not to be missed and an area you will fall in love with. luke

ps . with regard to the weather its warm sunny and prone to the odd heavy down pour but if you pitch on a lake front pitch bring stormstraps and some good pegs as it tends to get windy between about 4am and about 7am but this is fine if your prepared for it and is welcome for the cool air ,dont let this put you off or you will miss out on a gem

Jun 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi Paul just back from 6 week trip with 4 of those in lake garda have been there 3 times now once from calais down and in through switzerland but the gottard tunnel was closed due to a landslide so that made the crossing to italy difficult the other two times it has been down through france from cherbourg over mont blanc which i think is by far the easier of the two border crossings i have stayed in a few sites on the southern end but found ourselves returing this year for the third time to camping san francesco which is a beatuiful site with large lake front pitches and awell kept site with every thing you could need the lake side of the site is peaceful and relaxing and the other side has the pool complex and activites areas, you will have no problem driving there as you come off the moterway at the sirmione exit and its a simple 3 k to the site as a base you can easily tour the lake and surrounding areas like millan modena or take in the opera in verona or take a train in to venice . there is a food and drinks wholesaler practically across the road a good caravan shop about 8 k to the east, and everything you want or need at hand. best of all the site is well run and secure and has large and well laid out pitches, it is a site not to be missed and an area you will fall in love with. luke

ps . with regard to the weather its warm sunny and prone to the odd heavy down pour but if you pitch on a lake front pitch bring stormstraps and some good pegs as it tends to get windy between about 4am and about 7am but this is fine if your prepared for it and is welcome for the cool air ,dont let this put you off or you will miss out on a gem
by the way dont worry about any low bridges or tunnels if you stick with the motorway i have a nissan patrol and a twin axle and had no problems whatsoever. luke

Sep 19, 2008
Visit site

Thanks for that will have a look for the site in the european caravan club book Cheers

TRENDING THREADS