It's just getting from bad to worse

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Ok I know there are 100's of you vanners out there with brains and brawn.

For our holiday this year we wanted a mover (essential for me)and new hitch ( because on the new car they put the new swan neck on).

No mover, found out to late we have to have powertouch themselves out to fit they won't garantee the mover unless they do it because we have older van.

Hubby just got home with new alko. Absolutely no way could I lift the stabilizer, I have a serious neck problem which really prohibits me lifting or even carrying a shopping bag.

I see lots of you people on sites with these alko's is it still because it's new?

Even my hubby needed two hands and a lot of hump to do it.

Give me the tips? Does it get easier?

If not all you men out there, beware you will be approached buy nice lady wanting you muscles. hee hee

May 5, 2005
Visit site
Cant lift mine at 75kg either ,just wind it up and down with jockey wheel or have I misunderstood.Am nearly 60 and my days of lifting 1 1/2 hundredweight are well over,however pretty you may be

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I think the original poster means that she can't pull up the handle of the Alko stabiliser - because they work by friction they are very difficult. It doesn't get easier, either - ours is an Alko hitch, and it's now ten years old, but no easier than it was when it was new. The friction pads have to be tight to work, and so are check at every service (and between by OH) to make sure they are a tight fit.

I think, as she mentions, the only solution is to 'ask a strong chap' for help!

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi all

We have the same problem both with the hitchlock and our backs!My clever hubby solved it using a metal bar to lever through the handle (levering against the handbrake NOT the plastic fairing). Works a treat. We use the mover handle, but anything strong and metal, maybe a steady winder would work.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think the original poster means that she can't pull up the handle of the Alko stabiliser - because they work by friction they are very difficult. It doesn't get easier, either - ours is an Alko hitch, and it's now ten years old, but no easier than it was when it was new. The friction pads have to be tight to work, and so are check at every service (and between by OH) to make sure they are a tight fit.

I think, as she mentions, the only solution is to 'ask a strong chap' for help!
Mine's the same too Val!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts