Its my first time...Please help.

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi all

I am currently looking to book somewhere in France for next year and I am a Little aprehensive.

I am a keen caravanner and we try to get away most weekends in addition to our annual pilgramige to Cornwall, but fancy France next year. I have never driven abroad let alone tow, Can some please suggest a good site with minimal driving "that" side and is easy to find?

Many thanks

Feb 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jonny,

The first time we took the caravan abroad, we took it to France and we stayed at a site called LE ANSE DU BRICK, it was near Cherbourg, We found it to be a lovely site and a good introduction into caravanning abroad. It is approx 9 miles from Cherbourg port, after our first taste of it, the following year we did a mini tour of Europe, we went to the French Alps, Italy, Austria and Germany and had a FANTASTIC time, so it is nothing to worry about, go for it and have a great time!!

Best wishes,

Jonah.

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Jonny

Go for it and enjoy, the first time I drove abroad i was in a 62 foot drawbar wagon, after a couple of hours you will be fine, far better than driving in the U.K.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jonny boy rebel

We know exactly how you feel, like yourselves we were very nervous about our first trip abroad to France last year, we chose the Portsmouth to St Malo ferry, which is an overnight trip, very relaxing and allows you a clear head for the journey onwards, the site we chose is called 'Le Chatelet' in St Cast,Brittany(it's in the CC Continenal Caravanning Brochure)the site is approx. 22 miles from the port, and fairly straight forward once off the ferry, and like others say the roads are less congested than here in the UK.

We found the site very relaxing, almost all pitches have a stunning sea view, a beautiful pool, direct access to 2 very nice beaches, approx. 1 mile into St Cast town with good restaurants, shops and a large child friendly beach, plus there are some wonderful locations a short car drive away.

Altogether we found it to be an excellent choice for ourselves, and would highly recommend it.

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi JBR

We go from Calais to Malaga in just over two days, if you live in Devon and your annual trip to Cornwall is a pilgramige, then stick with Calais, if not, then come to the Costa del Sol, It's a great place.

Jeff.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
Regarding getting to the South of Spain in 2 days,We take 4 1/2 days actual driving to the South of Spain and factor in lots more rest stops along the way. I cant imagine what state the drivers are in after 1300 miles in two days. If you have not done this before there is no need to be to timid about travelling some distance as it is much easier than at home but unless you have a few weeks, the South of France or just into Spain is going to be plenty far enough.

Dave

Feb 6, 2010
Visit site
First driving with a caravan in Frace is easier than the UK as generally the roads are less crowded with the exeption of the outskirts of Paris or central Lyon during rush hour (I lie its always rush hour in Lyon) Plan your route and post a list of towns to head for on your dash. Invest in a european sat nav. driving between mid day and around three is a doddle as lots of lorries take a long mid day break. You are eased out of the french ports on the correct side of the road so you just look ahead to see how the cars filter out of juntions etc, stick another note on your dash to remind yourself that when you pull back on to non motorway roads you drive on the right. Keep euros handy for your wife to pay at auto route tolls and don't try to get to close to the toll booth or you will clip your van on the barrier. Don't worry / panic drivers are more caravan tolerent and enjoy the experience it is much more fun than a trip down the M5. If you get bored pull off the a roads and go cross country where it is possible to drive and stop for lunch with only an occasional car or motorbike for company. If you are still nervous book a taster with the Caravan Club or book a Brittany rally with a CC 'Centre' you will get all the encouragement you need.

Sep 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi

be careful with the speed limits in france, as they all changed last year, I go every year, so keep well informed.

The old speed limit (which a lot of people think still applies) was 82 mph for a car and caravan, but this is now complicated:

If the data plate under the bonnet of your car states that the max train wieght is above 3500kg, then you are restricted to 56 mph the same as hgvs it makes no difference if you are towing a twin axle caravan or a 100kg box trailer its the plate that determins the law!

hope this helps, as the on the spot fines in france are VERY HEFTY and if you are 12 mph over the speed limit your vehicle can be impounded, but if you are doing the old 82mph instead of 56mph you can be arrested and tried in court the next day and your vehicle and licence taken away!!

Steve

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Hi JBR

We go from Calais to Malaga in just over two days, if you live in Devon and your annual trip to Cornwall is a pilgramige, then stick with Calais, if not, then come to the Costa del Sol, It's a great place.

Jeff.
Hi JBR I am interested in your pilgrimage to Malaga each year! we are going to tackle the journey this yr in our campervan assisted by 2 dogs.. we normally take the route down via calais, madrid (by car)to malaga but we are now thinking we would like to make things extra difficult for ourselves and also tour open jaw via france to or from! - have you tried this route?! an any tips on where to stay en-routo in spain!

thanks!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As Stephen says it pays to be law abiding in France these days. (And in spain too if you venture that far).

Suggest you look at the Caravan Club website and their information on speed limits in France - it is well written with a worked example and then you should know exactly what you have to do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts