It's official

Spending a weekend out camping resets the clock inside our bodies that influences sleeping habits, scientists at a US university have discovered.The first thing they learned on a week-long camping trip in winter was people were exposed to 13 times more light than at home, even though it was the darkest part of the year.
Their melatonin levels also started to rise two-and-a-half hours earlier than before the expedition and they went to bed earlier too.
The campers were now sleeping and waking in tune with their body clocks.
Another camping trip showed most of that benefit could be gained by just going away for a weekend.
Hopefully caravaning will go towards gaining some of the benefits or if not can always have a pint or two that generally helps sleep patterns

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Interesting piece of research. I wonder if the reason they went to bed earlier was the long dark nights and the cold. My reasons for not going tenting in winter any longer.

Yet at one time I quite liked ( or so I was told) living in snow holes in the Beacons, about on par with trudging over the bogs of Dartmoor. Yet when i bought a caravan last September after a period of abstinence where did we go? The Beacons. And where is our first booked trip in the next caravan this spring? Dartmoor. Nostalgia is a wonderful thing eh?

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I'd agree with that. When camping, we always get up early following a good sleep. It's been the same since changing to the caravan.

I think it has alot to do with being more relaxed and not thinking about the normal day to day stuff that disturbs sleep patterns.

Perhaps I should sleep in yhe caravan instead? :dry:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We always sleep well in the caravan, especially in the Winter when the late evening hot Chocolate with a Calvados "nippy" is almost compulsary.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I did read it and have to agree. We tend to sleep like logs on most sites but living next to a motorway we probably appreciate the quiet.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
I did read it and have to agree. We tend to sleep like logs on most sites but living next to a motorway we probably appreciate the quiet.

Funnily enough Ray the stay we had at Strathclyde Park was no where near as noisy as we were lead to believe.
The thing that woke us at 9.00am was the road sweeper machine!! :angry:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Raywood said:

Funnily enough Ray the stay we had at Strathclyde Park was no where near as noisy as we were lead to believe.
The thing that woke us at 9.00am was the road sweeper machine!! :angry:

Hi Dusty, I think the noise levels vary quite a bit and where you pitch also can help. The roadworks can be on at night but a lot depends on what they are doing and where they are. The road noise can be a problem for some during the day but does ease off at night.
If you are pitched in the corner near to the roundabout some people have been disturbed by the air brakes on the lorries as they stop at the lights.
Noise is a bit subjective though and affects some more than others. We have seen criticism of other CC sites on the reviews and been hard pressed to hear anything.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts