i've dinted me new new van :(

Sep 25, 2005
Visit site
What a plonker I am! We have just had a new pageant bordeaux and upon setting up for the first time found we had not given thought as to where the rubbish bin was to go. The last van had an end bathroom in which we placed a small flip top bin, but alas no immedite position in new van. In my wisdom I decided that the caravan door pull knob thing made a sound hanger for a tesco bag in which to shove rubbish prior to dropping in site bin. All was well until Teenage son and heir put a peanut butter jar in the bag and then decided to exit to site facilities in usual teenage fashion. First - door flung open and thud the bag swings into the side of the van. Second, door slammed shut and heavy bag swings to other side of door. Following tears and shamefull drive home with appropriate apology from aforesaid teenager ( In the style of typical Kevin type tone SORRRY - it was a stupid place to hang it and its not my fault) I purchased 2 reflectors which cover the dints but as they are not at the same height look a bit rubbish. Firstly, Does anyone know if dummy vent grilles can be obtained which will cover one of the dints, secondly, does anyone have any suggestions as to where a bin can go inside the van and thirdly what are the views about leaving teenagers at home (16) as he promises to have no wild parties, consume no booze, look after the house and be home by 9.00 every night (honest dad you can trust me).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Carl if the dent is on smooth panel not ribbed it is relatively easy for a workshop to repair. I know this from experience when we damaged our van several years ago with an awning pole.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You can get a range of flat vent grills from B & Q etc.

If they do not match the van ones well enough you could use the ones that do match and cut off the bit that protrudes with a hacksaw.

Other ideas are an external power point/aerial inlet/gas BBQ point etc.

Our friends dented their new van on the dealers car park before completing the paper work and the dealer fitted an external shower to hide the damage

We got two dents on the ferry one time and an awning light and reflector covered them up.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I know it's hard to take when the caravan is new but believe me, over the years, it's going to get more dents. If they are not easy to cover up with something like the reflectors that you mentioned or a relatively simple fill and respray job, I'd leave everything as is if you're considering to keep the caravan a number of years. At first, your eyes will always be fixed on that one dent but over time, and especially after the second one when an awning pole has hit the side, you will learn to live with it and that it won't spoil your enjoyment.

Jun 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Carl,

If it's any consolation - my 1 year old van has a nasty scrape and dent in it post dealer service (which they assure me they didn't do). So i know how you feel.

What really shocked me - was when i asked them to cost out the repairs they quoted nearly

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
Carl, you think thats daft.

First time out in our new van we had a spare wheel but no carrier so put it in the van neatly over the axle. Didnt want dirty marks on the vinyl flooring so decided to put wheel in a black bin bag.

We now never need to worry about knowing the tyre size for the van as it has been indelibly printed on the floor in black print on a light beech type flooring. All we need to read it is a mirror to reverse the negative image.

At least the removable carpets will come in handy when the time comes to sell the van!

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we did a similar thing to you by having a hanging clothes airer that was suspended from the front ns window. This was also the entrance to the awning and I felt gutted when trying to squeeze by I knocked the airer and made two dents in a flat panel. Continetal vans may not shine as mush as UK ones but the dimpled surface certainly hides the dents far better. Anyway I obtained some pin striping body line (self adhesive) and rana line through the dents center line. They are almost impossible to see now. Another option would be to obtain some of the body stencils and cut one apart and use a piece on both sides to maintain symetry. I also saw a van with some nice high reflectivity lines (self adhesive) which actually looked realy good. A custom van al la Harley!

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
this might be a stupied idea but have you though about gining dentmaster or a company like them a ring they pull out dents in car with no rubbing compound or anything its like magic and they use special tools.they might do the van and it might be cheaper than going through your insurance and paying excess.

hope this helps.

jo-anne

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
my teenage son was helping me polish our van that was only 2 month old at the time, he was stood on the caravan step and over reaching to reach the top of the van when the step slipped and he fell forward, his knees hit the van first and we now have two perfect imprints of his knees in the side of the van. i tried dentmaster and another firm that does the same thing and both said they could not repair as they couls not get to the rear of the dents due to the vans insulation. quoted

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts