Jag's as tow cars

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Doe's anyone on the forum use a Jaguar saloon or estate Diesel, 2 or 4 wd, as a tow car. How good are they and any problems, Bazz.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

One of the guys (Nessy) that attended the last EribaFest, towed an Eriba Feeling - that UK people would know as the Hymer Feeling (MTPLM of 1350 kg) with a Jaguar S-Type 2.7 Diesel / twin Turbo / automatic and it looked OK.

The S-Type has the advantage of rear wheel drive, so Nessy had no trouble manouvering on grass. If this type of car is of interest, I can make contact via the Eriba forum.

If you are thinking of an X-type, then basically that's a Mondeo - and except for the possible wheel spin limitations of the front-wheel drive models - then the Mondeo is generally known as a good tow car (for the right MTPLM)

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Robert

I have been thinking about one of these. Unfortunately the diesel is not 4wd though. Also I thought it was maybe a bit light for my pastiche. what did you think?

DavidC

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Davidc, yes it only has a tow limit of 1500 Kgs as I have found out today! Not very encouraging, I could always take the van to a weighbridge just to see how much it does weigh in at, still looking Bazz.

Sep 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

One of the guys (Nessy) that attended the last EribaFest, towed an Eriba Feeling - that UK people would know as the Hymer Feeling (MTPLM of 1350 kg) with a Jaguar S-Type 2.7 Diesel / twin Turbo / automatic and it looked OK.

The S-Type has the advantage of rear wheel drive, so Nessy had no trouble manouvering on grass. If this type of car is of interest, I can make contact via the Eriba forum.

If you are thinking of an X-type, then basically that's a Mondeo - and except for the possible wheel spin limitations of the front-wheel drive models - then the Mondeo is generally known as a good tow car (for the right MTPLM)

Robert
Here we go again "An X-Type is basically a Mondeo". Just to dispel a few myths:

The chassis - the floorpan is based on the 6 hard-points from the

Mondeo Estate, but shortened overall by six inches and modified to

accommodate AWD (there are no 4WD versions of the 2000-2005

Mondeo). The length, width and wheelbase are all different, so the

X-type chassis would not fit under a Mondeo and a Mondeo chassis

would not fit under an X-type. The X-Type chassis/body is stronger

and stiffer than the Mondeo.

Engine & transmission - the petrol engines are based on a

strengthened version of the Ford Duratec block (the Mondeo V6

version uses the standard Ford Duratec engine) but it has Jaguar

cylinder head and internals (the Mondeo does not have Variable

Valve Timing etc). Diesel engines are Ford, as used in the Mondeo,

with little change. The automatic gearbox is Jatco, not Ford; the

manual box is ZX, not Ford. The AWD system is simply not available

on a Mondeo and is all Jaguar.

Bodywork and interior - virtually all Jaguar, except for some

switchgear and a fair bit of the electronics. The seat frames &

motors may be Mondeo.

Sit in an X-Type, smell it, drive it, be amazed by it - its certainly not "basically a Mondeo"

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Does anyone know the noseweight for the Jag SE type 2.7 diesel.

I have looked it up on the cars web sites and it says 75Kg. A friend of mine who tows a 1700Kg Hymer was told they are 90Kg.

I thought he may struggle to achieve 75Kg with this van.

Jim

May 21, 2008
Visit site
My brother-in-law has just got a 4 Litre S type which I can't wait to try our twin axle behind.

I think I'll let him put the petrol in though!!

I had an XJ40 that was tuned by Motor sport of Ross on Wye. It went like sh*t off a shovel. 155 Mph and banging on the limiter quicker than a Mondaeno can do 0 to 60.

But at 4MPG, Yes 4MPG you could see the fuel guage moving and I'm sure I could hear the vent in the tank whistleing like a kettle.

Great fun on a drag strip, but painfull on the wallet!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Here we go again "An X-Type is basically a Mondeo". Just to dispel a few myths:

The chassis - the floorpan is based on the 6 hard-points from the

Mondeo Estate, but shortened overall by six inches and modified to

accommodate AWD (there are no 4WD versions of the 2000-2005

Mondeo). The length, width and wheelbase are all different, so the

X-type chassis would not fit under a Mondeo and a Mondeo chassis

would not fit under an X-type. The X-Type chassis/body is stronger

and stiffer than the Mondeo.

Engine & transmission - the petrol engines are based on a

strengthened version of the Ford Duratec block (the Mondeo V6

version uses the standard Ford Duratec engine) but it has Jaguar

cylinder head and internals (the Mondeo does not have Variable

Valve Timing etc). Diesel engines are Ford, as used in the Mondeo,

with little change. The automatic gearbox is Jatco, not Ford; the

manual box is ZX, not Ford. The AWD system is simply not available

on a Mondeo and is all Jaguar.

Bodywork and interior - virtually all Jaguar, except for some

switchgear and a fair bit of the electronics. The seat frames &

motors may be Mondeo.

Sit in an X-Type, smell it, drive it, be amazed by it - its certainly not "basically a Mondeo"
Fascinating (really)

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
I use a Jag X type saloon to tow my 1200kg swift. It tows it really well. The 2.5 & 3ltr petrol models are permanent 4 wheel drive with 60% bias to the rear wheels.

Mine is a 2.5 & I can't fault it. 5th gear is perfectly usable on the motorway except on moderate inclines.

Jim,

the Max Nose Weight for a 2005 S Type 2.7 Diesel Sport 6 Speed Auto. is 75 kg. However there was a facelift in 2004. So earlier Models may differ. This info. is in the Hand book of Mine. I have used this Model for Towing My 2003 Swift Challenger 490 Lse. Since Jan. 2005 this is an exact 85% Match. I am delighted with it's Towing Ability. I Sold a 2003 Shogun 3.2 TDi.Long Wheelbase for the Jag. Whilst the Shogun is probably the ultimate Tow Car, it's useless Solo and thirsty either way. The Trip Computer in the Jag. shows 27. Mpg. With currently over 3000 Miles mostly Towing. Solo I get around 35. With a heavy Right Foot. The performance is awesome from the 205 Bhp Twin Turbo Unit. The downside is, poor Headroom in the Rear, and a Shallow Boot. Neither of which affects just the Two of us. As there is a new S Type due 2007/8 there are some good deals about.

regards

Eddie 1. From Nottingham.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Jim,

the Max Nose Weight for a 2005 S Type 2.7 Diesel Sport 6 Speed Auto. is 75 kg. However there was a facelift in 2004. So earlier Models may differ. This info. is in the Hand book of Mine. I have used this Model for Towing My 2003 Swift Challenger 490 Lse. Since Jan. 2005 this is an exact 85% Match. I am delighted with it's Towing Ability. I Sold a 2003 Shogun 3.2 TDi.Long Wheelbase for the Jag. Whilst the Shogun is probably the ultimate Tow Car, it's useless Solo and thirsty either way. The Trip Computer in the Jag. shows 27. Mpg. With currently over 3000 Miles mostly Towing. Solo I get around 35. With a heavy Right Foot. The performance is awesome from the 205 Bhp Twin Turbo Unit. The downside is, poor Headroom in the Rear, and a Shallow Boot. Neither of which affects just the Two of us. As there is a new S Type due 2007/8 there are some good deals about.

regards

Eddie 1. From Nottingham.
Eddie

Was chatting on phone today with my old mate and he's delighted with his SE Jag 2.7 2006 model. He says he can achieve the 75 Kg nose weight quite easily and says it tows smoother than his VW toureg.The excelleration when solo is awesome.

Jim

TRENDING THREADS