Jobsworth Wardens

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
philspadders

all pitches in the book are the same price grass or hard standing ,i allways inform the site before hand that i am 41 feet in length car and van, but they know any way because its on the outfit details stored on there computer ,so she also new the size of the next outfit ,and about swapping pitches she was adamant that i went on 17 she even circled in on a site plan , i just thought she was saving the larger pitch for her friends ,but i was wrong on that score ,she deliberately wanted the larger outfit on the smaller pitch , and the smaller outfit on the larger pitch ,

Aug 14, 2008
Visit site
just read your comments - did you speak to the warden about staying past 12 - normally we find that unless there are restrictions in the entry/exit roads and/or the site is fully booked most wardens will let you stay. It pays to ask!

Dec 28, 2006
Visit site
Hi

Some sites do specify an arrival time, usually for a very good reason and to ignore this is disrespectful both to the wardens and your fellow caravanners.

In my book it does specify that pitches must be vacated by 12 noon, can anyone tell me where it says I can not arrive before 12 noon.

Barking

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
So glad I took some downtime to read this thread. Having never used a CC club site, I now know that I will never use one. All of our caravanning has been on CL's. Never had a bad experience, some CL's are better (visual location)than others. Some are spacious, some tiny, some manicured lawns, others rough pasture. Almost all CL owners helpful, some relatively anonymous.

Cost comes into it, CL's very reasonably priced. We get all we need for around

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
So glad I took some downtime to read this thread. Having never used a CC club site, I now know that I will never use one. All of our caravanning has been on CL's. Never had a bad experience, some CL's are better (visual location)than others. Some are spacious, some tiny, some manicured lawns, others rough pasture. Almost all CL owners helpful, some relatively anonymous.

Cost comes into it, CL's very reasonably priced. We get all we need for around

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Norman - so a few comments by a minority of CC site users has put you off all CC sites?

Remember, forums are full of unhappy/disgruntled comments - the Happy Campers are out there enjoying themselves.

And, the only reason I'm unhappy/disgruntled is because we're unlikely to have time to have a holiday this year

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
Well done,for managing to get a weekend at Clumber Park because the chances of this are just about nil unless its booked on the first day that the booking system opens up.

Cheers R

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I dont really understand the problem some people have with following rules.

they are there for the benefit of all, if everybody arrived first thing when the gates opened and stayed until just before the gates shut on busy sites getting a pitch would be chaos

well done the wardens for upholding the rules my view is if you dont like the rules go elsewhere then the rest of us who do follow the rules may just get the awning up before it gets dark.

I heard an argument in the office of a CC site we were trying to get booked into once last year this irate chap was slagging off the wardens because he had been told to pack up leave as he had overstayed by 2hrs on his pitch with the excuse that his "awning was not yet dry" so why did you not take it down yesterday when it was dry asked the warden because the dogs would not have anywhere to sleep and besides what the hell was it to do with anybody?? Well said the warden "this chap here pointing at me is waiting to get on to that pitch so it is acctually now his pitch not yours" redfaced he left the warden appologised for the delay with booking in and offered us a premium pitch as an alternative for the duration of our stay but as it was further from the amenities I declined the offer and waited a extra hour before pitching up.

a bit inconvient but as we got the first night free as compensation it turned out ok in the end,

just imagine if all members acted like that in such a selfish manner who would want to be a warden not me thats for sure.

colin

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
I have read this post with interest we were down south two weeks ago for two weeks with only one site pre booked, Rowantree park in York. On the way back up we wanted to stay a couple of nights midway, which was Clumber park,we phoned the day before , no problem booked for two nights, great site helpful friendly staff, left early on the Sunday to head for Rowantree, bearing in mind this was the day of the Grand Prix and an England game, we arrived before 12 noon, yes I know we werent supposed to but I wanted set up for the grand Prix, unfortunatly about 20 others wanted set up for the football, again the wardens( is that a good name for them?) went out their way to make an exception getting everyone booked in etc so they could be set up early, no mean feat when you see the access roads etc. again great site, helpful friendly staff with only one rule Rigorously enforced , SPEED more so because I believe they have had a serious accident over the past year involving a child.

I dont know if we have been lucky but with all the CC sites including our local ones at Killin and Inverness but with them and the C&cc sites we visit we have had no problems

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Just ask yourself " would i do this job for the benefit of others?"

If the answer is no then dont complain.

Interesting about speed,as its one of my bugbears.

Why oh why do people race around the sites in their cars.

I like to think of cars as bit of a nuisance on the site and that all roadways etc are actually footpaths and cars should give way to pedestrians. Even on club sites i see drivers exceeding speed limits and treating pedestrians as a pest.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Philspadders asks "Why oh why do people race around the sites in their cars".

Good point but why do they need to race around the sites with a caravan on the back?

Probably after going around the one way system looking for a pitch they finally decide on one and tearass around to get that pitch before the following outfit who were booking in behind them gets it :O(

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I have just come back from a great weekend at Ferry Meadows CC site in Peterborough. I have to say, the wardens were great - I arrived at around 5pm on Friday and on arrival, there was a problem with my booking (not my fault I hasten to add, but a glitch in the CC system). The warden phoned CC HQ for me and even asked them to confirm my booking for my main summer hol in 3 weeks time was OK - it is now, thanks to the warden!

The site is immaculately maintained and I can't recommend it enough.

We were due to leave today and my daughter asked at the reception if it was 12pm that we needed to leave by and the warden said we could stay until 3pm if we needed to so we could make the most of our last day. This was very gratefully accepted and we enjoyed our last day in the adjacent country park.

The wardens never stopped - cleaning, tidying, helping - I have nothing but praise for them.

No doubt there may be some wardens who are not quite obliging, but I have always found that politeness is always returned. However, if the wardens had said that we needed to be off site by 12 noon, then we would have complied and been home 3 hours earlier than we did - rules are there for a reason - for everyone's enjoyment.

Mar 2, 2007
Visit site
Just to get my threepennyworth, I arrived at the CC site Low Park Wood at 12.50 yesterday. The club requests departures before noon and no arrivals until after noon. The site has a very narrow approach road with a few car passing places. Half way along the approach road I met three outfits leaving. This necessitated a slow tight squeeze past each of them with my van brushing the hedge. None of the three drivers looked at me as they passed, obviously too embarrassed. Why do some ignorant people ignore rules believing them to be for others whilst making life difficult for those of us who try to adhere to the clubs requests regarding departures and arrivals.

henry 72

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
We arrived at the CC site at Kessingland at 12:15. For those who don't know it an awkward entrance due to parked cars and a tight turn. There is a no arrivals before noon because of this. We were stuck blocking the entrance in a queue of 6 outfits stopping cars getting out.

As our stay progressed there were people who arrived at 9:20am and others who were still packing up at11:55am (they may have paid for the full day) pushing the timing to the limit. I really don't think there is an answer to the problem - if you arrive much after noon on a busy site your choice of pitches is very restricted. It seems that "the devil take the hindmost" is applied by most caravanners.

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
My thoughts on this were

"I wonder if John actually approached the wardens with his problem"?

His comment like "I know there are rules but this is taking it beyond the extreme, do they realise that it is the members who pay their wages" goes two ways.

Yes, the wardens do get paid, like everybody else..........but they are also entitled to be treated with respect.

*Mod Note: Personal comment removed*

Wardens are NOT slaves, domestics or menials John. But even if they were at the lower end of the wage scale....there's no need to be abusive to them by using that word.

*Mod Note.Personal comments removed*

*** Certain comments have been removed due to their very personal content.

There is no need , or allowance made, on this forum to turn topics into personal vendettas or turn topics into a war of personalities.

Damian (Moderator)*****

TRENDING THREADS