just a friendly flash ?

Feb 12, 2006
Visit site
HI All

on a recent trip to scarborough c&cc site, a long the way i flashed ( meaning with headlights) a few of the on coming fellow caravanners, is it just me or is the friendly club not so friendly , or is the flashing seen as a problem ?

i think we all should at least say "hi" on the road , even if just to pass the time to the site !!

in 4 weeks i am on my way to sandringham c&cc site , i will also test the friendly flash again,

IF YOU SEE A BLUE HONDA CRV PULLING A 2005 ADRIA , FEEL FREE TO FLASH LOL

thats all for now

cheers

dave

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave, it is not a case of the "friendly club", which is the Camping and Caravanning Club, not being as friendly.

The subject of flashing headlights was aired in the forums a while ago, and the result was that there are to many variables regarding flashing.

HGV drivers use this to signal it is safe for overtaking vehicles to pull in, in front of them, as the overtaking vehicle is clear of them.

Some drivers use headlight flashing to indicate the proximity of Police Speed traps

Some drivers use headlight flashing to indicate they want you to come on, or let you out in front of them.

There are so many "reasons" that flashing another driver , just because he is towing a caravan seems pretty pointless, and leaves the other driver, who has not a clue who you are or why you flashed him, why he has been flashed, and most probably will stop as soon as possible, thinking there is something wrong with his car or van.

The Higway Code advises that flashing headlights means just one thing,"I AM HERE", and nothing more, but as has been said, it has many "other" uses, its knowing which one YOU mean when you flash, and whether the other driver knows what you are meaning.

So, if I see you, I will NOT flash you, as I dont want a passing HGV pulling in on me prematurely, and neither do I want someone waiting at a junction thinking I am meaning them to pull out in front of me.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dave,

Scroll down this forum, back to the previous page, to the topic 'Flashing - a different point of view' posted 23rd. June. The last but one posting says it all ! Sadly.

Mike E

Jul 17, 2005
Visit site
Dave

Never mind a friendly flash...we have tried a friendly wave and no-one waves back!

We were on the way to Derbyshire a couple of weekends ago, every van I saw, I gave a very friendly wave....now after about 9 vans and no other waves back I was feeling a little put out.

Come on van lovers get into the spirt...in the end 'the long suffering' made me stop.

I agree with the highway code bit about the flashing...hence my waves

HayHo

F

Feb 12, 2006
Visit site
so..............what other ways would be similar to a flash?

cleary the " wave " doesnt work.........

it was only an idea, as there is so much oppposition , i thought the caravanners may aswell stick together !!!

dave

PS: i agree about flashing now , i have the error in my ways !!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Buy a motorhome and you will nearly always get some form of acknowledgement. I am a former motorhome, now a caravan owner and gave up trying to be friendly to other van users on my way back from the dealers.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Why do you want to wave or flash to totally strangers just because you are towing a caravan? Some people seemed to be obsessed with flashing and waving to perfect strangers travelling in the opposite direction.

I would assume that there was something unknown ahead in the road that I did not know about and would slow down, but would be very annoyed if there was nothing and had to accelerate to get back to my original speed. Maybe all BMW etc drivers should start waving and flashing or for that matter what about cyclists or even tractor drivers.

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
At the risk of being a miserable old bu**er. Get real guys.

The next thing you will have is Volvo owners, or Mini owners, or 4*4 owners, or people with hanging dice or nodding dogs on the windscreen, or even black tyres on the front of the car as a reason to flash. The A.A. man stopped waving a long time ago, the world has moved on, the highway is not a friendly enviroment any more, one does not have time to wave, flash or wriggle your backside anymore,

ttfn

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts