just bought caravan

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hello to all,we have just bought an eldis scirroco 2004 1621kg unladen 1900kg mtlm,lovely caravan just what weve been looking for in terms of layout, and a kitchen worktop that will actually accomodate more than a side plate perched precariously on a handkerchief sized one.. the caravan is of course larger than i ideally would have liked, and here lies a question.. i have a nissan xtrail 2.2 dci 136bhp 1620 kg kerbweight.if i really dont put any extra equipment in the caravan will the towing be on the dodgy side? i have towed before and i will have to admit not a complete berk[well driving wise at least] and two other bits of advise please,any recommended storage around southampton areas,handy for the new forest trips and easy access routes etc,and any suggested insurance companies? i do hope someone can give some practible advise. thanks Pete&Sue.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Diane I think the 85% ratio would be 1450kg but I am sure the Nissan recommended maximum towing weight is 2000kg. I don't understand this however as it would be way over the 100% mark.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Peter, the figures you need to take into account are the kerbweight of the car, the MTPLM of the caravan and the overall train weight.

To have a caravan in which you have to take OUT items to reach the 85% guide, what are you going to do about all the things you need, like gas bottles, clothes, bedding, cutlery , crockery etc???

If you do tow, and are over the manufacturers limits, especially the train weight, any insurance you think you have would be invalid as you would be driving illegally.

Just a few thoughts.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Diane as I would like to buy one (wife has other ideas though) I have looked into the technical specification and now been on the Nissan web site where it is stated that for the 2.2 litre TDI the maximum recommended towing limit is 2000kg. The petrol version is far less at a paltry 1350kg. Why such a difference was not explained.

May 29, 2007
Visit site
Don't you already own a 4x4?

Well i am just going by the figures out of the which caravan mag so i don,t know. Ade recons the X-trail is to small to pull the scirroco as thats bigger and heavier than our Abbey Spectrum 540. We were looking at one for me and get rid of my Type R. He said it would be no good to pull our van and so did the guy in Wessex Nissan. So not sure now.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Diane I do own a 4x4 but it getting a bit long in the tooth, although still providing sterling service. I will agree with you that what Peter is envisaging it would be a tad over the top. However our caravan is only max. 1400kg (Bailey Ranger 500/5) so would be more than adequate for our needs. As I previously stated though SWMBO will not let me have one so it is at this point in time a definate no no. Incidently bought one of those

May 29, 2007
Visit site
I bought the value one to keep in the van and its fine. Keep your receipt cos i know some of them go up the spout. They tend not to send them to be repaired cos of the cost, they just replace them.

Aug 12, 2007
Visit site
Hi again,and thanks for your advice,my car handbook states a kerb weight of 1650kg and a gross vehicle weight of 2050kg,but if i do put anything in the 'van its the battery,and quilts only,all the other stuff gas bottles, awning,etc etc, will go in the car,so the weight will only be a little more than the factory stated kerb weight of the caravan 1621kg,whattowcar comes up with 101% as a standard ratio with their limits [although the car weighs 1620kg on their listings],bearing in mind the additional weight put in the car i would have realistically thought the car was then an amount heavier,not 85% but still okish?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I bought the value one to keep in the van and its fine. Keep your receipt cos i know some of them go up the spout. They tend not to send them to be repaired cos of the cost, they just replace them.
That's the one we had, thanks for the tip.

Jan 31, 2007
Visit site
Hi again,and thanks for your advice,my car handbook states a kerb weight of 1650kg and a gross vehicle weight of 2050kg,but if i do put anything in the 'van its the battery,and quilts only,all the other stuff gas bottles, awning,etc etc, will go in the car,so the weight will only be a little more than the factory stated kerb weight of the caravan 1621kg,whattowcar comes up with 101% as a standard ratio with their limits [although the car weighs 1620kg on their listings],bearing in mind the additional weight put in the car i would have realistically thought the car was then an amount heavier,not 85% but still okish?
are you really putting your gas bottles in the car. in the event of an accident they would be missiles.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts