"Just in case" kit?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Does anyone else carry "just in case" kit of food and water with them in the winter in case they get stuck? We also have a small gas stove in the car. We always have water in the car and during winter a can or two of food. Maybe overkill, but many years ago getting stuck for a short while because of heavy snow was not pleasant.
Whenever we are out and about I always make sure that we have plenty of fuel in the tank. What I do not know is whether it is safe to have the diesel engine running to keep the vehicle warm?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We tend to be guided by the weather forecast and where we will be travelling to. But in winter we always have good warm weatherproof clothing with us, and both cars have hi viz jackets and foil thermal emergency wrap around blankets.

https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/advice-services/road-safety/drivers/winter-driving-tips.pdf
Since visiting France many years ago we have always carried the hi-viz jackets with us. The last time we were caught out, rain was predicted and not snow so that is our excuse. LOL!
I seem to remember the foil emergency wrap around balnkets from my days in the services. I think they were used for shock when involved in a conflict i.e. gunshots or IEDs.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Does anyone else carry "just in case" kit of food and water with them in the winter in case they get stuck? We also have a small gas stove in the car. We always have water in the car and during winter a can or two of food. Maybe overkill, but many years ago getting stuck for a short while because of heavy snow was not pleasant.
Whenever we are out and about I always make sure that we have plenty of fuel in the tank. What I do not know is whether it is safe to have the diesel engine running to keep the vehicle warm?
Keeping the engine running to stay warm _should_ be safe. But if you can smell any exhaust, or if you feel light headed or sick after sitting stationary for a while, you probably want to switch off and ventilate. Ironically its one area of having an EV that is simply no longer a worry, but is often pointed to (wrongly) as a weak point for an EV.

If there is snow on the ground before I leave, I take a small snow shovel, spare water (enough to both drink and wash the windscreen in the event of frozen washer jets) and an extra coat.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I once drove from Bradford to Liverpool along the M62 early evening. Dark, cold and busy. A cattle bridge came down so we were all directed on to the old cross Pennine road. Now crawling on a single track road in fog. Pulling off anywhere was impossible as I could not see the verges.

A bottle would have been a boon at that time.

John

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
The AA have warned that anyone travelling in icy conditions should take a shovel, blankets/sleeping bag, extra clothing (including scarf, hat & gloves), 24-hour supply of food and drink, de-icer, rock salt, torch, spare battery, petrol can, first aid kit and jump leads.

I looked a right
censored.gif
on the bus.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I once drove from Bradford to Liverpool along the M62 early evening. Dark, cold and busy. A cattle bridge came down so we were all directed on to the old cross Pennine road. Now crawling on a single track road in fog. Pulling off anywhere was impossible as I could not see the verges.

A bottle would have been a boon at that time.

John
Not being able to pull off and grasping for a bottle requires extreme concentration and dexterity.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
First aid kit, 2 x1kg fire extingushers, Water, 2 litres at all times, Nutty bars x6, foil blankets, collapsable snow shovel, mud Ramps (yellow Milenco) 3000kg tow strop and shackles, jump leads, 5 hiviz jackets plus one for the dog, dog food for 2 days( in case we overnight in a pub )tyre inflater and worm tyre puncture kit.
And two cd's of "Around the Horn."

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Yes it should be safe to use you engine to keep you warm in an emergency. But not to keep you warm whilst waiting for the kids. I think it might be illegal to keep and engine idling for prolonged periods while parked, for environmental reasons. Or it might be a mention in Highway code.

Reactions: Tobes
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
It's illegal to start your car and leave it running then leave the car but sitting in it idling isn't yet illegal-not environmentally friendly but if cold and you need it then it's up to you that one-except in some towns i think where local bylaws mean you should swithc off if idling for a set time-don't think anyone would persue legal action though if you were stuck or snowed in! As for emergency kit-only carried if weather forecast predicts extremes-(but we always have coat first aid kit etc)

Reactions: Tobes
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Running the engine to keep warm when stranded in snow or inclement weather would be looked on as a prudent measure. But leaving an engine running unnecessarily can be construed as an offence. It’s not just a cold weather measure at our local schools it’s commonplace all of the time. The link below may be of interest.
https://www.rivervaleleasing.co.uk/blog/posts/engine-idling-fine-parked-car-uk
However when you restart the vehicle I would think that it may bellow out more toxic fumes than if the engine had been left running assuming that if left running it would have been maximum about 5 minutes. Not sure how they would define necessary and unnecessary in very cold weather?

However my question revolved around leaving the engine running while stuck in very cold weather and whether it would be safe to do so for the occupants. Question seems to have been answered. Thanks.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
However when you restart the vehicle I would think that it may bellow out more toxic fumes than if the engine had been left running assuming that if left running it would have been maximum about 5 minutes. Not sure how they would define necessary and unnecessary in very cold weather?

However my question revolved around leaving the engine running while stuck in very cold weather and whether it would be safe to do so for the occupants. Question seems to have been answered. Thanks.
As I said in the post you have quoted running the engine when stranded in snow or inclement weather would be looked on as a prudent measure. I leave it to you to decide weather to run it continuously or intermittently. I’d count five minutes of running as intermittent but five minutes in what period? No one can say if leaving it running continuously is safe. ROSPA advise against running the engine at all. Surely it depends on the integrity of the exhaust system, weather/wind conditions and the integrity of bulkhead/penetration and door seals. So it really comes down to an individual taking responsibility for their actions dependant on the circumstances. Carry your caravan CO meter and put it on the dashboard 🤣

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
We do have two blankets in the boot and I carry a shovel if it snows but since having a job where you have to drive if possible I simply do not go out in the car if the weather is so bad I might get really stuck. We only use the caravan in Winter for trips at short notice and decent weather forecast.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
There isn't much CO released in a modern engine-not enough even if there were a leak to cause any ill effects I don't think! Now pre cat-is a different matter as is a bbq ! In the car -mmm-but not in an awning either-sorry digressing!

Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts