Just retired

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Having just retired, my wife and i are considering purchasing a new caravan.( with my childrens inheritance tee hee)
could i please ask the forum members please on any advice good or bad on the following two caravans.
The Bailey Pegasus 4berth Verona and also the Bailey Olympus 620-6 double axle as we intend to use the caravan approx, 7 months of the year, the double axle one would obviously give us extra space. thank you.
Terry

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Terry
No doubt owners of Bailey caravans will be able to advise you on the good vs. bad points but the most obvious difference between the two models is the 159kg difference in the respective mtplm.

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
A lot depends on choice of van is wether you intend to site the van or lug it around the country site to site as i do.If moving about size and weight comes into consideration, ie fuel costs.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Congratulations Terry on your retirement.
smiley-smile.gif

You have to ask yourself why you will need a 6 berth?
Have you also considered the Bologna?
Take SWMBO and spend a good few hours sitting and lieing in all three models looking at where the TV will be . How large are the bathrooms bedrooms. IMO any new caravan purchase should be seen as at least a 4 year project so you must be certain what suits you both best in the long term?
Are the weights ok for your tow car?

Buy from a reputable well respected Bailey Dealer too.

Good luck in your choosing.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Sorry but can't help being cynical - that implies that there are still unreputable Bailey dealers around - I knew one but thankfully they went bust.

Di3

Jul 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi Terry
Congratulations on your retirement enjoy!!!
I agree with Dusty Dog, take your time deciding which layout suits you we have the Pageant Sancerre which is the same layout as the Verona. We choose the layout because we like the end bathroom; it’s not huge but has everyghing we need.
The first year we had the van it we went out 12 times in ten months (I was made redundant just after purchasing van, so took my GAP year at the age of 51!!) Enjoyed ever trip had no complaints two years on still have no complaints with van but if we were to change would be for the Unicorn Barcelona because would give us that little extra room, but as mentioned in other posts you then have to take into account towing weights and costs.
But whichever you choose enjoy
Also agree buy from a reputable dealer bought our first van from dealer that was just in the throes of being taken over, nobody told us when buying the van and when we collected it had to ask for all the extra’s that were included in the sale (actually would say demand!!) as was told was arranged with previous company!! was it a long time between sale and collection – No just three weeks!! - 6 months later branch was closed down..... 18 months later we changed van to Sancerre, bought from dealer in our area and can only say how fantastic they have been..... They walked us through everything on the new van, the few issues we have had over the past two and half years have been sorted without any quibbles the staff are always on the end of the phone to give advice and answer any questions. Don’t be afraid to ask you dealer for references they may look a bit surprised but its a big purchase your making and a lot of hard earned cash!! I have recommended our dealer to four of our friends who have also purchased their vans (not always new) and have said how happy they have been with the service. Believe word and mouth far better than glossy ads
Hope this helps you
Di

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
There are only the two of us and we have a twin axle with an island bed. An island bed allows you to get out either side without having to climb over your partner. We also have a rear bathroom with a nice size shower. As someone asked, any reason for a 6 berth or are you planning to have the grandchildren with you every weekend?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
RogerL said:
Dustydog said:
Sorry but can't help being cynical - that implies that there are still unreputable Bailey dealers around - I knew one but thankfully they went bust.
Well Roger
You're a clever bloke. Perhaps you can tell them where not to go before they waste their money.?
smiley-wink.gif

Conversely, as my pot is always half full , not half empty , I can tell them where I would go.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
l agree with Dusty, don't make the mistake we made we have had 3 new vans in 4 years the first one was AceFirestar a fixed bed side wet room but had a reasonable front lounge, second was Lunar Clubman SE fixed bed end washroom but the lounge was to small for her indoors, finally we have gone back to the more traditional layout Unicorn Madrid Side Dinette, which we are now happy with. Wished we had really thought things over more and looked all the layouts would have saved us thousands. Can't impress on you enough to make sure the layout is for you.
NigelH

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Perhaps you can tell them where not to go before they waste their money.?
smiley-wink.gif

Conversely, as my pot is always half full , not half empty , I can tell them where I would go.
No I can't - the good one I used no longer sells Baileys and the bad one I used afterwards went out of business.
My pot's 3/4 full - there's plenty of good ones out there, the problem is telling the difference.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
I am sorry that it has taken me so long to thank you all for all the information that yous have posted.
The reason we were looking at the double axle were incase my other-half and i had a wee tiff or 50, not being so close together
for such a long time. Apart from that i think my daughter who has two kids has had a word in my wifes ear that it would be handy
for you no what!! I really do not think my nerves could put up with it especially when we have 5 grandchildren if we took two the
rest would want to go as well.
As yous have said it is a difficult decision to make. We went to our local bailey dealer at the weekend about 60 miles away we took
your advice about having taking our time choosing, anyway while i was outside checking one of the vans over my dear wife was
talking to the sales man, eventually i went inside the showroom my wife looked a bit excited,i said whats wrong and the answer
was i have paid £200 deposit.(sorry im not going to swear) i then asked the saleman what extras if any they were going to through
in and the answer was zero.
But the bottom line is we still have not decided which one to go for.(the salesman is on the phone almost every day)

Anyway i am sorry about the long winded story. and i would like to thank each one of you for your information.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts