Just suppose....

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
OmOnWeelz said:
Dustydog said:
Perhaps your dealer could explain which part of the " money laundering laws" he referred to. In the UK to the best of my knowledge there is no Law that says "cash " cannot be accepted. I can understand a dealer's unwillingness to accept cash at the weekend when the banks are shut and the amount involved may exceed his insurance safe limit. Most banks seem to abandoned the old night safes.
Who really cares, by the laws of this land a business can be asked to supply proof that cash comes from a legitimate source and a bank can ask the same for its own protection. What business wants to store thousands of pounds of cash or send staff waltzing off to the bank with bundles of cash. Faced with answering questions from HRMC or a bank re large cash deposits compared to taking some other form of payment such as a debit card, bank transfer or bankers draft most sensible business people will take the easy option.
It's more likely that businesses are protecting themselves and taking the easier less trouble option. Live with it
smiley-smile.gif

Unless you store cash under the floor boards why would you want to carry 10K plus cash around in your pockets and risk being relieved of it?
You are still supposed to be able to write a legal acccetable cheque on anything providing you give the correct details and sign it, but who wants a scrap of paper or lump of drift wood to present to a bank. Lots of places no longer accept regular cheques, we move on, just like it or lump it
smiley-smile.gif

Paying with your phone works pretty well, as long as you get a good deal why worry about cash!
I always pay with cash,and why shouldn't I. I don't want to give anybody my card details regardless of how safe it supposedly is, don't want to pay by cheque for large things because it means I give them my money and then have to wait to rescieve my goods? don't think so, what happens if they go bust in the meantime?
If I buy something I give them money [cash] they give me the goods, I have never come across anybody who point blank would not take the cash when I have made it clear its cash or no sale.
So next time the dealer or whoever says sorry cannot take cash, tell them its cash or no sale, and tell me they would say "ok no sale and loose out a 10 or 20k deal! rubbish they will bit your hand off.........

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
602 said:
Hi,
So, if I walk into a caravan dealer looking to buy a brand new caravan, clutching (figuratively) a bundle of cash ...... what sort of discount should I expect off list price? Presumably I would get a bigger discount if I took it in accessories?
Specifically? I'm thinking Wednesday, but my wife isn't. We are both thinking the "bivie" end of the market, not a "country cottage on wheels".

Hi '602'
It's not unreasonable to expect a discount on list price when there is no part exchange. I can't remember the exact figures and I don't have them to hand but when we bought our caravan three years ago we negotiated a good deal with no delivery charge and there was an added discount because there was no part exchange. In addition to that we were lucky enough to have happened to go to the dealers just after one of their sales push weekends so we copped for an extra £800 off in addition to what we'd negotiated by telephone! I noticed the banner and just as we were about to shake hands on the deal I asked if the £800 applied to us. The salesman swallowed hard and disappeared to 'ask his boss' (a well worn tactic) so we sat impassively and didn't say another word. The salesman then said that we could have the extra discount "this time", I kept a straight face somehow and we shook on it and I paid up.
My figures would have no relevance today but dealers might just be hoping to clear their premises of older stock to make way for models being launched at the various caravan exhibitions which are due to open soon.
Why not decide on what model(s) you are interested in and phone round or email caravan dealers who stock these models to find out what's out there?
Explain that you have no part ex but are a serious buyer and ask for a few figures, ask if there are any discounts available and if any accessories will be part of the deal. Don't be shy, you have absolutely nothing to loose!
You can only ask, don't worry about being seen as 'pushy' because you are not there to make friends with the salesman who you won't see after the sale is completed anyway. Be prepared to be a bit 'cheeky', if you never ask you won't get!
If they won't play ball on the price how about a couple of free services, an awning or even a motor mover?
You might be surprised at what you can do but if all else fails then you can always go along to the Caravan,Boat and Outdoor Living exhibition at the NEC in February.
A visit when sales staff are hoping to notch up early sales at the start rather than the end ought to secure a discount if you have the plastic fantastic with you to pay a deposit.

Good Luck

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi all,
The reason businesses are reluctant to take large wads of banknotes is the Money Laundering legislation.
If the business takes money which later proves to be dodgy and the dealer has not reported his suspicion of same, he can be prosecuted for aiding money laundering, and sentenced to seven years imprisonment. First of all the business does not want to waste his time looking for the correct authority to make his report, and why put himself at risk. So Bankers draft, debit card etc is simpler, audit trail, no risk.

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
JonnyG said:
I always pay with cash,and why shouldn't I. I don't want to give anybody my card details regardless of how safe it supposedly is, don't want to pay by cheque for large things because it means I give them my money and then have to wait to rescieve my goods? don't think so, what happens if they go bust in the meantime?
If I buy something I give them money [cash] they give me the goods, I have never come across anybody who point blank would not take the cash when I have made it clear its cash or no sale.
So next time the dealer or whoever says sorry cannot take cash, tell them its cash or no sale, and tell me they would say "ok no sale and loose out a 10 or 20k deal! rubbish they will bit your hand off.........
JohnnyG most businesses will of course take cash, but many will expect to make arrangements to take large sums it and check it's source and some businesses will refuse over 10K and the staff have no say over that even if they lose the sale!
I paid £1300 less for an item last week as I could pay on the spot, no cash wash involved. How much cash do you carry in your pocket JohnnyG? I doubt that many people walk around with more than a few hundred cash in their pockets. If you rely on cash to do business and purchase you either have to be rather silly and carry a lot of cash or miss out on good deals
smiley-frown.gif

Spending £22k in a caravan dealer on a debit card has what risk? Putting your card in a reputable dealers card machine is not handing over all you card details and a darn sit safer and sensible than getting £22 k out of the bank in cash and wandering around the countryside with it
smiley-embarassed.gif
The statement that you always pay with cash is an easy one to make when most of your purchasing is probably less than 10k Johnny, if you'r advising us that walking around with bundles of cash is safer than using a card. Bonkers and stark raving mad are terms that spring to mind.

As for negotiating a final price, tell the salesman that you expect a good discount from the start.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
"Unless you store cash under the floor boards why would you want to carry 10K plus cash around in your pockets and risk being relieved of it"?

I have been relieved of more money by having cards cloned, than I ever have from being mugged or robbed by any other means.

Steve W

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When I bought my last caravan from one of the biggest dealers, I asked if I could pay cash but he said they could not accept more than £3000 in cash. So I paid for it all on my debit card. They did phone my bank when I made the payment and then i had to speak to the bank to anser some security questions, then the bank authorised the transaction to go through.

Lisa

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I'm slightly baffled as to why members replying to this topic are so fixated on whether or not the o.p. could pay in cash or not.
If people replying had read the original post properly 602wrote:
602 said:
Hi,
So, if I walk into a caravan dealer looking to buy a brand new caravan, clutching (figuratively) a bundle of cash ......

Figuratively has a completely opposite meaning to literally, he wasn't actually suggesting that he was about to wander around caravan dealers with over ten grand in his trouser pocket
rolleyes.gif

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
steve w77 said:
I have been relieved of more money by having cards cloned, than I ever have from being mugged or robbed by any other means.
Steve W

That happened in a reputable car or caravan dealer did it ?
"card S cloned"
happened more than once then! Did you not learn something the first time Steve or were you careless or at fault? We have no idea as to if it was your own fault.
I've used cards since Barclaycard were the only UK credit card and never lost a cent and used cards all over the world!
We have a friend who runs a car dealership and they will not take more tha token deposit ammounts of cash. Some years ago one of his salesman mentioned that a car was being paid for with cash, two members of staff were attacked on the way to the bank and both were injured one quite badly. A brother of a member of staff was behind the raid.

Same as with Lisa, paid by card, simple checks via phone.
My husband only sells racing cars, parts and equipment using direct bank transfers. Partly due to - http://archive.carkeys.co.uk/news/2005/july/22/6594.asp
dealing in cash can lead to some difficult questioning, we have friends who had that unfortunate experience.

Make any sales person aware that you are paying in full 'cash style' and that you want a large discount from the off.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Parksy - Moderator said:
I'm slightly baffled as to why members replying to this topic are so fixated on whether or not the o.p. could pay in cash or not.
602 said:
Hi,
So, if I walk into a caravan dealer looking to buy a brand new caravan, clutching (figuratively) a bundle of cash ......

Figuratively has a completely opposite meaning to literally, he wasn't actually suggesting that he was about to wander around caravan dealers with over ten grand in his trouser pocket
rolleyes.gif

Parksy, You're wasting your breath (figuratively). I made the same observation on the first page and it fell on (figuratively) deaf ears.
mel

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
No actually on all three times it has been a bank cash machine that had been tampered with, perhaps you think I should take these machines apart and examine them before I use them. Why do people like you take delight in trying to make people look stupid. I can assure you I am far from stupid and spotted the fraudulent transactions with 6hrs of them happening. You are obviously either very lucky or to perfect for words.Sanctimonious P**tt, Are the words that spring to mind.

Steve W

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
steve w77 said:
No actually on all three times it has been a bank cash machine that had been tampered with, perhaps you think I should take these machines apart and examine them before I use them. Why do people like you take delight in trying to make people look stupid. I can assure you I am far from stupid and spotted the fraudulent transactions with 6hrs of them happening. You are obviously either very lucky or to perfect for words.Sanctimonious P**tt, Are the words that spring to mind.
Steve W

smiley-wink.gif
That's a brave post for someone caught by the same scam 3 times.

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
Sorry SteveW. ATM card skimming is well advertised with warnings about checking machines etc.
I always check the machines and only use one local one near us that has a camera checking it 24/7 at my bank.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
From what i remember it is the The Money Laundering Regulations (MLRs) which came into effect in 2007 that prevents companies accepting over £10k in cash, although they can register to do so which involves a fee annually (I believe this is per site)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The statement was made that implied the cash purchase of a retail product may be refused. To clarify the situation if the price is quoted or agreed in pounds sterling then a cash offer is perfectly legal.

However whilst it is legal to offer a cash sum, the seller may be obliged to take steps to confirm the sum is legitimately the buyers to use. That in its self does not outlaw large cash purchases just that it is more difficult to manage it.

In practice the use of cash for high value purchases is very rare, Most buyers are happier to use other methods of funding purchases, Unfortunately it also means that there are greater opportunities for the financial service market to make money by encouraging buyers to use fund transfer services or HP arrangements where the charges they levy make money. The use of cash is not in their interests so they discourage its use.

There is another reason and that is from an accountants point of view, a paper or electronic transfer is physically easier to manage/control, and the loose notes don’t go missing.

This topic side line whilst interesting does not answer the OP. I believe the OP did not mean to imply the use of large cash sums, but more likely the lack of a trade in or any other loan/HP arrangements.

The ability to barter a better deal is dependant on several factors, and those factors can change with time. For example, when caravan sales are depressed and second-hand caravans aren’t moving from the dealers yards, deals without P/X will probably be favoured, but it seems at the moment s/h sales are quite buoyant and as such a PX may offer more leverage.

Other factors will also play their part, such as interest rates, obviously the make model and condition of any p/x, and the space the dealer has for storage and refurbishment of units taken in p/x.

What is certain is that the price in the window is not what you should pay.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Mel said:
Parksy - Moderator said:
602 said:
Hi,

rolleyes.gif

Parksy, You're wasting your breath (figuratively). I made the same observation on the first page and it fell on (figuratively) deaf ears.
mel
It looks that way Mel (figuratively speaking)
rolleyes.gif

It's a good job that I've got plenty of (figurative) monitor ink to spare.
Shall we talk (figuratively) amongst ourselves while the others f-f-f-f-figure out what figuratively means?
lol.gif

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
I'm still waiting for a definitive answer ..... 5% ... 10% .... 15%? Er, what does definitive mean?
I read recently that there is a legal limit to how big a cheque a bank may accept. Very worryingly, a big win on Lotto would exceed that limit. Does anyone have any experience? [and do you have a daughter? ;-) ]
If you pay more than a certain amount into your bank (used to be £3,000) the bank have to report it to HMRC.
Did you know that if your accountant or solicitor even only suspects you of concealing money/income, he MUST inform HMRC? Not only that, if you ask him if he has done so, he MUST deny it.
Whatever, the caravan we want is a Freedom Jetstream. We find the idea of a GRP monocoque shell (including the floor) to be reassuringly waterproof. We want a bivouac rather than a country cottage. I need a mover to negotiate my back-lane - about 100 yards long, cul-de-sac, narrow, unsurfaced, rough, unlit. List price seems to be £9,190. Main dealer has a 2006 model in his yard at £6,000 (what did that cost when new?). I'd rather pay the extra £3,000 and have a new one. Anything cheaper than that on Ebay is probably a 1991 Freedom Microlite at about £1,500. The Microlite has 3 berths but no toilet compartment .... and I have reached a certain age. It appears that depreciation is not something to worry about.
I emailed the importers yesterday, asking for their bottom line. (Remind me to check the exchange rates). And then there is the caravan show at Cardiff this weekend ......
Come on, anybody, suggest a target %.

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
come on forum. 602 asks a simple question , and he did mention cash but only figuratively, and he gets all the legal jargon of money laundering, and all the downfalls of paying cash etc.
602 if you have a no part exchange, cash (sorry bankers draft, check,debit card etc etc] deal, you should be able to negotiate a 7 to10 per cent discount if not try another dealer,
good luck
kind regard
andre

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
602's choice brand new is only available from Freedom Caravans Stafford. Sorry if that's wrong.
According to Freedom's web site they have 50 new models in stock. Not sure how many of those are 602's choice.

I'd expect the VAT to be kept at 17.5%
With their high stock holdings I'd also want 15% discount.
So with the VAT reduction overall I'd try for 17.5% discount off the gross bottom line.

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Firstly let the salesman know exactly what you are purchasing on the day. If it's just the caravan that's fine. if you want a bundle of other stuff like battery, aquaroll and more make it clear so you get the best price for the bundle. Spend and hour haggling over the van and then starting again for extra's will wear the salesman sense of humour down.
How much discount? If the sales person thinks they can get away with 5% they will. We always joke about 1/2 price and aim for a 1/3 off and have done that on some goods. Start low and you may not get much off. Play nice and be friendly and just genty keep pushing. If they say "we could offer 5% discount if you buy today" and you grab at that they have you in their sights. Aim High and never seem keen over an offer, ask to see the boss as they can often sanction a better price.
Last week we paid £2400 for goods that were on sale for £3750, the poor sales woman stood looking shell shocked as we drove away with the goods.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
When I was at RAAF Butterworth, it was quite usual for a gang of the lads to catch the ferry over to" the island", (ie - Penang) and visit the camera shops. They would introduce themselves by saying .... "We all buy, or none of us buy"
The salesman sudenly became very attentive.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Last week we paid £2400 for goods that were on sale for £3750, the poor sales woman stood looking shell shocked as we drove away with the goods.

Funny that, one of my staff just last week i sold some tat to a couple who though they were getting a bargain. They thought the price was 3750 , but it was actually 1750. Silly buggers pad 2400 for it all.

That was not shell shock, it was her trhying to hold back the tears and laughter.

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Philspadders said:
Funny that, one of my staff just last week i sold some tat to a couple who though they were getting a bargain. They thought the price was 3750 , but it was actually 1750. Silly buggers pad 2400 for it all.
That was not shell shock, it was her trhying to hold back the tears and laughter.
There's always one numpty, may be you would like to tell everyone what we bought Philspadders
smiley-laughing.gif

Before doing the negotiation we'd checked a wholesalers (my son inlaws family business) purchase price and then took a trailer so we could take the goods away
smiley-smile.gif

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
OmOnWeelz said:
JonnyG said:
JohnnyG most businesses will of course take cash, but many will expect to make arrangements to take large sums it and check it's source and some businesses will refuse over 10K and the staff have no say over that even if they lose the sale!
I paid £1300 less for an item last week as I could pay on the spot, no cash wash involved. How much cash do you carry in your pocket JohnnyG? I doubt that many people walk around with more than a few hundred cash in their pockets. If you rely on cash to do business and purchase you either have to be rather silly and carry a lot of cash or miss out on good deals
smiley-frown.gif

Spending £22k in a caravan dealer on a debit card has what risk? Putting your card in a reputable dealers card machine is not handing over all you card details and a darn sit safer and sensible than getting £22 k out of the bank in cash and wandering around the countryside with it
smiley-embarassed.gif
The statement that you always pay with cash is an easy one to make when most of your purchasing is probably less than 10k Johnny, if you'r advising us that walking around with bundles of cash is safer than using a card. Bonkers and stark raving mad are terms that spring to mind.

As for negotiating a final price, tell the salesman that you expect a good discount from the start.
No wonder the countries in the shite, if "normal" people have 22k plus, limits on their c/cards in the first place.
Do i keep that sort of money in the house? there was a time when it could happen, sold something late in the day or was driving to buy something first thing in the morning, but not normally but then i didnt say "keep the dam money in the house" i said "i pay cash"
And i dont see how that means i miss out on a good deal?all it means is i dont do "compulsive buying" which i consider a good thing not to do anyway.
"you paid £1300 less for an item"? that makes me think if its legit it was merely overpriced anyway, like so much stuff is, and good on you for getting a good deal if it was lets say slightly iffy, then surely with cash I could have saved £1400? as there is no electronic trace for the seller to worry about showing up.
And I wasn't suggesting everybody goes back to handing over large amounts of cash, just infuriated that some/most dealers ect ect, would try to take that right to pay in cash away from you.And it seems more and more are doing it, till indeed every transaction will become electronic ....

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Hi,
Went to Stafford yesterday, visited the Freedom showroom. Very pleasant experience. Bought a caravan.
We chose the Microlite Discovery, which is smaller than the Jetsteam ..... also £1000 cheaper, but as I said earlier, we want a bivouac rather than a country cottage. We chose not to have the standard hot water system, but kept the room heater. Thetford cassette loo, and fridge come as standard, too.
Whatever, the dealer gave us a chassis upgrade, mover, leisure battery, wheel clamp, and locking tow hitch, all FOC.
The payload on Discovery is 170kg, but only 100kg on the Jetstream (same chassis, but Jetsteam bpdy is heavier). The standard MGW for both is 750kg. The upgrade raises that to 850kg. What am I going to do with 270kg payload?
The upgraded chassis has to come from the factory in Poland, so we will be twiddling our thumbs for a couple of weeks.
Salesman gave us a price. Barbara asked if that was the best he could do? Salesman went away for a chat with his boss, came back with a better figure. Barbara asked if cash would help? No! So I asked if it would make any difference if we paid by credit card? A very loud Yes!
smiley-smile.gif

I then said we wanted to pay at least £100 of the deposit by credit card. It is my understanding that the CC company security safeguards apply, even though you do not make full payment with your card. Can anyone confirm? They accepted the full deposit (£300) by credit card. The rest we will pay by debit card.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts