Just turn up at Ferry or Euroshuttle

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am thinking of taking the Pajero and one of our dogs on a camping (heresy) trip to Spain in September. The plan is to travel to northern Spain by ferry and then after exploring the Spanish north country to wend my way back to the Channel through France. I dont fancy a long crossing with the dog just shut in the back of the car, so thought I'd just turn up at Calais or Dunkerque and get a ferry or the shuttle. What are the fares like for crossings where you just arrive without a ticket. The specific time can be flexible so I can avoid peak times. Alternatively do any of the crossings by ferry from St Malo and the western channel ports have kennels?

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
In May 2012 we travelled back from Spain through France, and just turned up at Eurotunnel without a booking at 4.15pm. You have to have the dog checked in a separate area, and after the all clear the staff there will book you onto a train. We just opted for the next one available which was 17.50pm. We were in a small campervan and the cost was 272.00 euros. I think booking before you travel would be cheaper, also during the night the same. It is effortless and the dog didn't even notice the journey, just slept. We haven't come through France since, as we prefer to sail straight to Spain and back.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I would book a return crossing when you've got approximate dates and then ring to 'amend' it when you've a clearer idea of when you'll get back to the port. You can bring crossings forwards so you could book several weeks later than the last date you intend to return, and just bring it forward to your actual date. It will cost you £10 to amend with DFDS which, when added to the (perhaps) £33.00 cost of the return crossing, is much, much less than it will cost you turning up 'on spec'. I'm sure you could do something similar with Eurotunnel, which lots of those with dogs use, as the dog stays in the car with you.
Have a great trip - and if you're 'wending' when we're in France in September we may bump into you somewhere!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Val that sounds a good idea. I have used DFDS Dover Dunkerque quite a few times when we take the van and dogs and they travel fine in the car as its only a short crossing and the ships are fine too. For £33 or so its a good option even if the trip didn't materialise.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Val, it is usually better to book and change rather than just tun up. If you want to test this go to the eurotunnel website and try some 'dummy' bookings for a week or so ahead against the same or next day. You may be surprised at the difference.

Also look at times of crossings. ET is very much cheaper midnight to about 0600, but if you don't fancy this then around 10.00 is usually cheaper France to UK and around 16.00 UK to France.

I usually book towards the end of the cheaper period. If you arrive early and tghere is space they will usually let you travel early for no extra charge. i understand they allow you to 'miss' you booked trian by one (i.e. about 20 minutes) without further charge but have never put this to the test.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ray we took the car over to Krakow in 2012 and arrived at Coquelles about two hours earlier than planned (1330ish) and as we drove up the electronic signs welcomed us by name and gave us the option to catch the next available train at no additional cost. We'd used ET before when travelling solo and do like its efficiency and speed. Although with a wide car experience tells me to retract the mirrors before boarding, the scratch luckily buffed out!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Just a thought re DSFDS return tickets I will need to check the T&Cs to make sure that they are not like airlines, where on special fare deals if you do not use the outbound ticket then the return is cancelled and you have to pay the fare applicable at the time you purchase your inbound (single) ticket.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.......if your itinerary involves you wending your way back through France in the latter part of September then only a few campsites will be open. Some research might be needed before you leave to locate suitable sights. I would then personally check directly with the site that they are open.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Bill, we have travelled through France at that time of year with the van and havent had any problems finding nice places en route. But I would always think about the route anyway even when wending! I have friends in the Dordogne, Limoge and south of Paris so I might just shock them by arriving late and pitching up!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Clive you don't need to buy a 'return' ticket. You can buy single journeys. We take our caravan to storage in France in May, so we booked a single outward crossing with car and caravan, and quite separately, once we'd decided when we wanted to come back, we booked a homeward car only crossing. There's no problem in doing this, and the homeward cost was just £33.00 - but at the moment (of course just after we booked) there's a 20% off for early bookers. At certain times this brings down the homeward leg to £23.30 on some dates!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts