Kampa awning exploding

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
We were at trevornick caravan park in June the ind got high and awning started to fold in checked pressure with electic pump had been blown up to 8psi read 7 topped up to 9.5awning stopped folding closed all internal valves next morning the wind had eased and sun was shining at approx 9am the center leg explodedripping the awning material on roof section about 2foot not the stitching contacted kampa who gave me list of repairers (awning 4years old out of warrenty) sent them photos and discription was told that the awning was not repairable made a claim on insurance (caravan guard) the loss adjuster is now wanting a report of kampa as to why the tube exploded who are now dragging their feet with a reply has anyone had similar happening to them any advice would be great fully recieved

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have seen a Kampa Mersea 4 person air tent with a ruptured tube. It happened on a campsite during a day when temperatures were in the high 20s. What I don’t know is whether the owners overinflated it so creating the conditions for it to rupture.

Guess they are like car tyres where pressure varies with temperature and sunlight directly on the tyre can lead to a mismatch across the car if you are inflating them at the time. What is the max pressure for your awning?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The awning has been damaged and it is not up to you to explain the reason for the part exploding, you only have to show it happened. If the insurer wants to investigate the cause then they should do so but it is no reason to delay your claim unless they think the damage was deliberate.
If they will not progress it write a formal complaint to the insurer based on the above, not the adjuster, and say you will be referring the matter to the Ombudsman if the claim is delayed further without a reasonable explanation. Do make sure that you say it is a formal complaint.
Accidentally over inflating it would not be a reason to turn the claim down.

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Kampa now recommend 8/9.5psi when l first had the awning most people were quoting up to 12psi on forums kampa say the tubes are tested to 22psi which they also say is impossible to get with the hand pump and their electric pump they also have a guide in the latest brochure which shows how the difference in temperature affects the pressure from 9psi

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
According to kampa the awnig was not over inflated at 9.5psi they state they test them to 22psi in Australia which would be far hotter than Cornwall in our summer

May 12, 2014
Visit site
One of the beams on my Vango Kalari did the same thing in Cornwall in May. Had been inflated to the recommended 7psi, went to beach on a hot sunny day and when I came back just the one beam had deflated. I got it out to repair, and it wasn't a puncture - the tube had split at the very end where it was stuck together, so I can only assume in the hot weather the pressure got too high causing this.

Fortunately I always carry spares, and Vango replaced the one that ruptured without quibble under their 3 year extended warranty. I've seen quite a few collapsed beams on tents and awnings though, and don't think I'd buy an inflatable one again - lesson learned!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Kampa poled awning for last 5 year no punctures !! :p

Must admit they are all lovely , looking at them when we were in France the other week but that's what puts me off , the punctures and if it deflates !

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Ha, I spent my last holiday looking longingly at the poled Isabellas on the site thinking "wish I'd bought one of those"!
The major advantage of the air one though is that after a little help feeding it through the awning rail, I can put the whole thing up myself without any help. This does ensure that me and the Boss at least start the holiday on speaking terms!

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Slightly off Topic Tufty but also when we were in France we were talking about getting a bigger awning because for what we put in for it on an annual trip eats up the space on the inside but after looking about a lot of people seem to put up these 'event tents' so we are looking at keeping the same awning which is big enough for us but getting an event tent for next time we do our annual holiday back to France .

Not an expensive one or something along the lines of something big enough where we can put our tables and chairs and have our meals in there ... https://www.google.com/search?q=kampa+event+tent&oq=kampa+event+te&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j33l2.8299j0j4&client=ms-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Yes, we regularly go away with some friends who have the Coleman version of that. It's brilliant, usually goes up between the two vans and plenty of room for all 8 of us to eat come rain or shine, adults to sit around in evening when kids are in bed etc.
It's pretty big though! We can get away with it when we have two pitches booked, but I reckon you'd struggle to fit it and a caravan on a standard sized pitch.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
The pitches where we have been on last 4 sites in France , you'd off gettin 2 caravans with awnings on plus the event tent ! There huge . About 11o m square'ish

May 12, 2014
Visit site
Oh right, you'll have to let me know where! This year's site in Switzerland and last year in Germany and Netherlands were all significantly smaller than UK pitches, even after paying extra for the "comfort" pitches. I'd assumed this was just the way it was all over Europe!

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
One reason why we bought Outdoor Revolution over any other make; there is a pressure relief valve as well as the inlet valve-pump it up till it blows off and it self adjusts if the air heats up and increases pressure-VERY clever and no problems with it so far-lifetime warranty on the frame against defects too!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
On our last trip our Kampa Rally Air went Bang :( In it’s defence we have had it 8 years: Used it many many times a year, Used it in all weathers including very strong winds, and left it on the seasonal pitch for 6 weeks at a time. When we put it up this time a roof seam parted along the stitching. We put tape on it and all was well for a few days. Then we went out and came back to a collapsed awning. There was a hole you could put your fist through in one air tube, but the inner fabric that goes around the air tube was also split along the stitching as was the outer fabric seam ( not where we had taped it).
What we suspect happened was that the outer seam split, taking the inner fabric with it. As this was now not maintaining constant pressure on the air tube, it ruptured.
So, in our case it we think it was the fabric of the awning that eventually failed, not the tube; that was just a casualty of the fabric failure.
We had it relatively cheaply as it was among the last of the Rally Air model stock before the Rally Air Pro came out. We are therefore not complaining.
Mel

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Kampa now recommend 8/9.5psi when l first had the awning most people were quoting up to 12psi on forums kampa say the tubes are tested to 22psi which they also say is impossible to get with the hand pump and their electric pump they also have a guide in the latest brochure which shows how the difference in temperature affects the pressure from 9psi

I had exactly that problem with an exploder. On contact Kampa told me what pressures to infalte to, vastly different to the info in the manual and indeed on their website. I questioned if they had issued an addendum to the manual, or contact those that registered their awnings. The answer was no, and they hadnt even updated the website with the new info.

On a plus side, they shipped a new tube overnight to Cornwall, but one event was enough and it was sold after its first outing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts