Kandersteg ( near Berne, Switzerland ) to Iselle ( Italy ) by...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alison

We have been through the tunnel with our car but not with the caravan. People on other groups have but in the end I am glad we went through with the car without the van. These are my thoughts in comparision with the Channel Tunnel. On the Chunnel I can open my car doors wide and get out and walk around. On the Kandersteg I could not open my doors wide enough to get out. Obviously people do get on the train wit no difficulty but I would be a bit nervious. Be interesting to hear the views of those that have used it with the van. The approach road to the Kandersteg is fine although the last couple of miles has quite a few mountain type bends(above Frutigen). There is a nice campsite at Frutigen called Camping Grassi.

David

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Alison

We have been through the tunnel with our car but not with the caravan. People on other groups have but in the end I am glad we went through with the car without the van. These are my thoughts in comparision with the Channel Tunnel. On the Chunnel I can open my car doors wide and get out and walk around. On the Kandersteg I could not open my doors wide enough to get out. Obviously people do get on the train wit no difficulty but I would be a bit nervious. Be interesting to hear the views of those that have used it with the van. The approach road to the Kandersteg is fine although the last couple of miles has quite a few mountain type bends(above Frutigen). There is a nice campsite at Frutigen called Camping Grassi.

David
Thanks for this - when you say you could not open your door, would you have been able to get out of the car in an emergency?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alison

I accept what Andrew (swanseajack) says and I am sure it was him who kindly me a photo of his van actually on the train! Regarding the door, I may have just been too far over but it was much tighter than I had imagined. We did go through on a Sunday so I don't know if they use different carriages. If you look here you will see a picture I took on the train. Lotschburg

David

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
Alison

I accept what Andrew (swanseajack) says and I am sure it was him who kindly me a photo of his van actually on the train! Regarding the door, I may have just been too far over but it was much tighter than I had imagined. We did go through on a Sunday so I don't know if they use different carriages. If you look here you will see a picture I took on the train. Lotschburg

David
Thanks David and Andrew for the advice and for the photo - I think this must be a different wagon - doesn't look as if it would take a caravan! Did either of you go all the way throught to Italy?

Alison

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts