Keeping a tow car on the road for 6 months and SORN for 6 months

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I am looking for a way to keep monthly motoring costs down and one way I am considering is by only using the 4x4 from April to Sept and then SORN for 6 months and having a wee run around car for the daily run to work and back.
Does anyone else do this? Or can anyone see any pro's cons's that I might not have thought about?
All thoughts appreciated.
Marie

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
the act is not made easy by the DVLA as I laid my car up for 4 months when I went to NZ. What you have to realise is that damp air can play hell with your brake discs by pitting them to such an extent that they may have to be replaced =£600...then your push button electrics don't like being 'unpushed' ..causing contact probs and finally you MUST have a good condition battery 'cos all those little devices on board are constantly draining the electrics. Go for it and good luck.

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
Marie,
I was in a similar situation as you. I had a Discovery 3 and the day to day running costs were getting out of hand. I bought a 125cc scooter for work and general running around, I saved mega bucks on fuel (about £5.50 for 110 miles). I did keep the Disco in a ready to use condition for shopping, long distance family trips and of course the bad winter weather. I have since replaced the Disco and have a less costly towcar, but have continued with the scooter, because I enjoy riding it. This may not be a feasible option for you, but is worth the consideration? I did have to take a CBT(£99) to ride the scooter as I never bothered to take my test back in the Mod days. SORN is ok, but the recent changes to legislation means you still have to have the vehicle insured?
OS

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
So long as the car is not parked or used on public roads there's no need to have it insured when SORN'ed. You have to decide for yourself if that's a risk that you want to take.

Mar 29, 2005
Visit site
As regards insurance you will not need liability insurance when the car is off the road. That is the insurance that covers you if you have an accident and were to injure another road user and be sued for damages/compensation. But a laid up vehicle could still suffer from fire or theft - would you be able to replace it if it was stolen from a garage or off the drive...?
I would say it still needs insuring for fire & theft.
Phil

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Unless i have read it wrong, you cannot have a car sorned and insured,you herd me right, you see you need to have a car/bike insured and taxed,you cannot have one without the other,therefore you cannot have sorn and insurance,because every insured vehicles needs roadtax too.. get it...

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
........I actually do with my 4x4 what the OP is thinking of doing, but for only one month of the year whilst we take a fly/drive holiday.
The 4x4 is Sorned off the road in my garage for at least a month but it is still fully insured.

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I hadn't thought about the mplications of it not being insured and whilst it would be parked up on private ground it would be next to the pavement so I have changed my mind and gone and bought a new tow car that might just be a little bit cheaper to run day to day! Thanks everyone!!
Marie

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I used to do this with my MGB before I sold it and I can confirm that you DO require insurance even when the vehicle is SORN. It's a moot point in classic car cirlces that even when a car is being restored it is still required to be SORN and insured, it's in bits for crying out loud!! But that's another story and forum...

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Cruzer said:
I used to do this with my MGB before I sold it and I can confirm that you DO require insurance even when the vehicle is SORN. It's a moot point in classic car cirlces that even when a car is being restored it is still required to be SORN and insured, it's in bits for crying out loud!! But that's another story and forum...
According to DVLA it does not have to be insured when it is SORN'ed.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
A SORNed vehicle definately does NOT need to be insured. What the law now says is that if a TAXED vehicle is taken off the road, (but still has a current tax disc), then it must be insured.Once the tax disc expires, then the vehicle must be retaxed or SORNed, and if SORNed, the insurance can lapse.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
emmerson said:
A SORNed vehicle definately does NOT need to be insured. What the law now says is that if a TAXED vehicle is taken off the road, (but still has a current tax disc), then it must be insured.Once the tax disc expires, then the vehicle must be retaxed or SORNed, and if SORNed, the insurance can lapse.
You can take a taxed/insured vehicle off the road and then - a) get a VED refund - b) declare it SORN - c) suspend/cancel the insurance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts