keeping my dogs secure on the beach

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Hello,can any dog owner please suggest a way of keeping my two Labradors secure on "a dog friendly" beach,they were new to us last year and it does not work when you're trying to relax on the beach when the dogs are running away with the chair they're chained to,many thanks.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Apart from a variety of useless stakes and having seen a beach tent dragged by a dog having great fun as his family chased him and his "kite".

The best we've seen is about ten metres of seat belt webbing and about the same of some light haeavy gauge polypop rope with the endstied making a loop that the dogs owners circled around quite large roack or looped to good sized bushes etc.

A few years back at Crantock a family arrived with two German Shepherds and a a large fold up water carrier that was fiiled by the dad with sea water whilst the kids quckly dug a big hole, the water carier was put in a canvas bag ( I guess to protect the water carrier) that went into the hole and the kids then covered it. The dogs were harnessed to the attached line for thwe day when needed and it held them.

End of day, the kids had a few minutes fun digging away the sand on top, bag pulled out sea water then dumped and away they went.

Good luck if this is any help, but can anyone tell us how to stop our dogs barking. If we try and leave them for a swim they just bark non stop as they want to join in.

Fine until we get "raked" by their claws nd paws ;-0

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Apart from a variety of useless stakes and having seen a beach tent dragged by a dog having great fun as his family chased him and his "kite".

The best we've seen is about ten metres of seat belt webbing and about the same of some light haeavy gauge polypop rope with the endstied making a loop that the dogs owners circled around quite large roack or looped to good sized bushes etc.

A few years back at Crantock a family arrived with two German Shepherds and a a large fold up water carrier that was fiiled by the dad with sea water whilst the kids quckly dug a big hole, the water carier was put in a canvas bag ( I guess to protect the water carrier) that went into the hole and the kids then covered it. The dogs were harnessed to the attached line for thwe day when needed and it held them.

End of day, the kids had a few minutes fun digging away the sand on top, bag pulled out sea water then dumped and away they went.

Good luck if this is any help, but can anyone tell us how to stop our dogs barking. If we try and leave them for a swim they just bark non stop as they want to join in.

Fine until we get "raked" by their claws nd paws ;-0
cris

The water container idea is good, I think I'll try that.

You'll both have to separately to stop the dogs barking.

Lisa

May 25, 2005
Visit site
I understand, from a friend, that you can easily stop dogs barking unnecessarily just by using a childs water pistol!!! She has two dogs who are not other dog/cat/bird friendly and she has cured them by this method. I haven't tried it but it might be a solution. Just a thought!

Mar 24, 2006
Visit site
Hi Cris,thank you for the good ideas,i was having a laugh picturing this dog running away with the beach tent,my retreiver barks he is very vocal,my black lab has only barked twice in the twelve months we've had him,i know exactly what you're going through though,my vet suggested tranquilizers but i though that was i bit extreme,i suppose i'm quite lucky in the fact that my dog calms down once we're on the long journey but my black lab tries to get in the front of the car eveytime we stop at lights etc,what shall we do??? hope you have nice holidays this year anyway,Heather.

TRENDING THREADS