Keeping Track of Input & Responses.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi to you all out there and especially "The Tech Team"
How can a forum subscriber keep track of the posts that they make and the replies/responses that are posted in reply ?
Other forums have a tab such as, Follow/Un-follow. Short of keeping a pencil & notepad at hand I have not figured it out. Perhaps it is just not there.
Also,why can we not upload images from our own computer pictures/images libraries and post onto/into the forum.
The practice of having to go through the likes of Photo-bucket and others is not the most efficient and is another process needing completing before a post can be finally submitted.
Images into other forums are restricted by either maximum pixels or by kb sizes.
I used to enjoy using the forum and indeed have collected locally or subscribed to the magazine for many years now, but have found myself using other forums for no other reason than the ease of using and the other advantages that I have outlined.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi TR
At present there is no 'tech team' as such but I was told that sometime in 2013 there will be some major alterations to the website and hopefully there will be some improvements in the format.

Unfortunately the software used for this website does not support 'Follow / Un-follow' notifications at present.

The website was constructed in such a way that images and pictures are loaded onto the message boards using Uniform Resource Locators which are formatted text strings used by web browsers and other software. These URL's (often called 'links') identify a network resource on the intenet.

In the case of images or pictures it is much less complicated to use image hosting websites as the supplying internet resource because the pictures or images are converted to URL's by the external host programme rather than the website or forum.
To put it simply the website doesn't need to include software which would convert your pictures to link format because it's done by an external picture hosting website, this system is commonly used by many internet websites.

Technically this website and forum fell short of forum members expectations when it was constructed because of the lack of an email and private message resource, but it is light years ahead of the old Practical Caravan forum and there are plans afoot to make improvements.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi Parksy. Thank you for your reply. I am not totally PC & Techno Savvy but improving by the month. There is far to much technology on the average PC or Mobile Phone for that matter for anyone older than a 10yr old to get their heads around.
I take it that by using Photobucket or similar I would be using a URL !!!??

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Yes TR, Photobucket and similar picture hosting websites convert the host 'address' of your image into a line of text (which is called a URL) that the forum software can use to visit the address and copy the picture from.
Unless you knew how to create a similar line of text with your computers 'address' in a format that the PCv software can understand, including the exact place where it is stored on your own computer, copying pictures direct from your computer would be difficult.
Host websites such as Photobucket or Flicker simplify the whole process so that it can be done with a couple of mouse clicks.
Another positive point about using host sites such as Photobucket etc; is that it safeguards your computer.
It is often possible to gain access to a computer through pictures and images which you have sent from your computer. (commonly known as hacking)
Use the privacy setting on Photobucket and the chances of somebody hacking into your computer are greatly reduced.

To activate your Photobucket account privacy setting:

Log in to your Photobucket account Home Page. Across the top just below your name will be:

Latest Activity All Albums Recent Uploads Tags Stats Account Settings

Click on Account Settings and scroll down to
just below the Personal Information box to the Album Settings box. At
the top of the Album Settings box is written 'My album is' and you can
select Public Or Private.

Select private

Please note that this will not prevent others
from viewing your pictures or documents, those which you need to protect
should be deleted from Photobucket completely.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts