Keeping warm, working in the awning

Nov 22, 2023
Visit site
I like making things, so I've put a workbench into my awning. The problem I'm finding now is how to keep warm when I'm working. It's not practical to heat the whole awning. I have ordered small polytunnel that will fit inside and provide plenty of room to work, whilst allowing in as much light as possible. I will let you know how well I manage to heat it without breaking the bank.

Reactions: toad a caravan
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
I like making things, so I've put a workbench into my awning. The problem I'm finding now is how to keep warm when I'm working. It's not practical to heat the whole awning. I have ordered small polytunnel that will fit inside and provide plenty of room to work, whilst allowing in as much light as possible. I will let you know how well I manage to heat it without breaking the bank.
A kettle would be a priority for me,complete with supply of tea bags ☕..Gary

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
What's wrong with wranglers open Face helmet goggles gauntlet s ha ha...I remember when.. just Gary 😊
Went on my Wednesday Motorbike ride to a fairly local pub, lightweight thermals under my leather jeans, then two thermal layers and a Textile jacket. Full face helmet. Nice and toastie, Heated handlebar grips.
8c , and dry roads.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
Went on my Wednesday Motorbike ride to a fairly local pub, lightweight thermals under my leather jeans, then two thermal layers and a Textile jacket. Full face helmet. Nice and toastie, Heated handlebar grips.
8c , and dry roads.
Hailstone and open faced helmet..ape hangers with jacket sleeves collecting the hailstone that missed your face..oh the fun..2 Bob in jukebox 7 tunes Eddie .Jerry lee.buddy n bill.gene oh the fun of it all

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Sep 23, 2023
Visit site
A friend of mine has a small diesel heater I think it cost £100 pounds or there abouts..I would ask if anyone has first hand info on them and actually bought installed and used one if your lucky you may get a valid response.Gary

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You might discern some views on these heaters from this recent link. But it’s very much a Marmite situation 🤣

Reactions: toad a caravan
Nov 22, 2023
Visit site
Thanks for all the weird replies. You should go on the stage.
In fact the polytunnel idea has worked brilliantly, and I now have a perfectly warm workshop despite freezing weather. The tunnel cost £35.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I do not know how well sealed your polly tunnel might be, but you should give serious thought and action to ensuring you do have sufficient free ventilation. If the ventilation is severely restricted or even closed off completely, the air condition inside a polytunnel will deteriorate and could seriously harm you or anyone in side the tunnel.

Especially whilst working and giving your attention to the job, you can easily miss the signs of reduced oxygen levels.

Nov 22, 2023
Visit site
I do not know how well sealed your polly tunnel might be, but you should give serious thought and action to ensuring you do have sufficient free ventilation. If the ventilation is severely restricted or even closed off completely, the air condition inside a polytunnel will deteriorate and could seriously harm you or anyone in side the tunnel.

Especially whilst working and giving your attention to the job, you can easily miss the signs of reduced oxygen levels.
Thanks for the word of caution but I have to ask are you serious? This is a £35 polytunnel in windy North Yorkshire. Definitely well ventilated.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for the word of caution but I have to ask are you serious? This is a £35 polytunnel in windy North Yorkshire. Definitely well ventilated.
Yes I am deadly serious! I NEVER make fun of safety matters, especially when it might relate to combustion used in the living space.

There have been too many instances of caravanners and campers who have underestimated the effects of how well awnings and tents can actually seal against safe level of ventilation. Admittedly the problem is usually connected with also using an open flame heater (including charcoal BBQ's) of some sort. but you should also be aware that cabinet heaters (with a gas cylinder inside) and even catalytic heaters which claim to heat without a flame are all open flame appliances and will risk depleting oxygen from the livinare and replacing it with both Carbon Dioxide, and Carbon Monoxide (the invisible silent killer)

But as you have not defined what if any heating you might try to use I consider it sensible to advise you just in case.

I note that someone has suggests using a diesel heater. I have seen Youtube videos of some recent Chinese models which being sold as "mobile heaters" giving the impression you don't need a flue system, Any heater that burns or chemically reacts fuel with oxygen from the air will always need a raised level of ventilation or system separate combustion tract from the living space.

Jul 12, 2023
Visit site
A friend of mine has a small diesel heater I think it cost £100 pounds or there abouts..I would ask if anyone has first hand info on them and actually bought installed and used one if your lucky you may get a valid response.Gary
I was going to suggest one of these. That with some deft draft killing (which your tunnel may fix for you) should be fairly warm for minimal running cost. The advantage of the diesel heater is it sits/vents outside so no nasty gas/exhausts inside the awning.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was going to suggest one of these. That with some deft draft killing (which your tunnel may fix for you) should be fairly warm for minimal running cost. The advantage of the diesel heater is it sits/vents outside so no nasty gas/exhausts inside the awning.
In the examples I have seen, the temperature of the flue pipe close to the heater would be more than enough to melt or even set on fire, polytunnel or many fabrics used for awnings and tents. The installation of such an appliance would need to be very carefully done to ensure the exhaust pipe is nowhere near any meltable of flammable material. It's not impossible, but not something that should be attempted casually or on an adhoc basis.

Jul 12, 2023
Visit site
In the examples I have seen, the temperature of the flue pipe close to the heater would be more than enough to melt or even set on fire, polytunnel or many fabrics used for awnings and tents. The installation of such an appliance would need to be very carefully done to ensure the exhaust pipe is nowhere near any meltable of flammable material. It's not impossible, but not something that should be attempted casually or on an adhoc basis.
Ideally the heater sits outside the awning and you run flex pipes into the space you want heated.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts