Keepng Caravan Healthy

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
The thread re May PC magazine content has brougt up a few isssues, Emmerson mentioned his vintage van and we do not buy new vans.

OK if your van is newish and under guarantee and if you trust dealer servicing to stop any potential problems.

We are all aware af damp and spongy floors etc.

I just thought it might be an idea to have a few ideas on preventative care.

Over the years I have added extra fibre glass mat layers to the inside of front cowls and the fibre class lockers and doors where they look thin or prone to split. Never had any problems doing it or with panels after the application compared to like models of the same age.

Getting under the van with a hot power washer and then sealing along all the edges where the floor meets the chassis and on any dubious looking gaps where various parts meet.

To my mind if water gets between floor and chassis frame, as the whole thing flex's it could cause floor problems. My old vans have never had floor problems. May be I was just lucky or maybe my ideas worked.

On our old split roof style Swift years ago I removed the alli joint covers and the edge capping come awning rails and sealed all the edges with Sikaflex 221 before refitting with the alli parts with 221 and stainless boat screws.

Sikaflex 221 is used to Bond Windscreens and other things and remains flexible but is an adhesive, if you damage the rail the 221 would be a pig to get of if you need to repair. Some dealers would not be happy !!!!!!!!!!

I've also used it under window seals to coat raw finishes. The more permanent Sikaflex has never caused any stress problems to my knowlege but in twenty years we have never found any damp problems and even impressed dealer at trade in as no damp showed in the "normal" places.

Years ago I was advised by an "old Hand" to drill a small hole in the bottom of the caravans outside light covers to let condensation escape and prevent water filling.

Spray coating with an industial electrical waterproofer on all electrical (WHEN NOT CONNECTED) contacts has also prevented any electrical problems and shorts.

No doubt someone will have a moan about something not being wise, but Caravan build Quality lacks something as current posts show with leaking windows and cracked panels etc.

So maybe Emmerson and a few other have a few other ideas to keep your older pride and joy healthy.

There are other good and cheaper equivalent mastic gun adhesives like Sikaflex 221.

So may be a few more tips or product suggestions to keep it looking like new can help others :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Gosh cris, you do go to town on your van! I must cofess that I don't go to those lengths. I do use solid wax polish once a year on the old girl, and work the wax into all the seams before polishing off. When I bought the van 5 years ago, as it was my third Royale, I had a fair idea of where any damp problems would arise, and resealed all of these points. So far, so good. The under side had been undersealed from new, and isn't yet showing any signs of trouble.One of the beauties of buying an old quality van, of course, is that they are cheap! Mine only cost me

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Our old wift years ago had a liitlre damp and I realised through others tales thatI could have other probs. Looking at what elsewhere and at what the caravn builder used I guessed at built in shelf life and easy repair option.

Solved the small prob myself and went to town. Took a weekend but got double what I expected when we came to trade it in. Dealer could find no damp!

The next van , as soon as the used van guarantee period was up I did the same.

Now the A frame cowling on our Senator had signs of cracking and I resined the inside and reinforced it, you can now sit or stand on it and the weight difference is next to nothing, ideal when delving in the front locker ;-)

Have plans for the window seals as well and I also wax it like you.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts