Kerb weights

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Anyone know of any websites that quote kerb weights for older vehicles?

We've just bought a 1999 Volvo V70 2.5 10v estate with a view to getting our first caravan. The dealer had already seperated the relevant bits of the V5 so I never got to look at the kerb weight on that. I thought it would be a simple google search to find it, but I seem to be struggling.

If not, does anyone own the same model, and if so can you tell me what the kw is please?

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
Whattowcar.com quotes this car as being 1453kg kerbweight.

I'd have thought it'd have been slightly heavier than that, but there you go.

I don't know what the max tow is for the car, probably about 1500kgs, 85% of stated kerbweight is 1235kgs.

Hope this helps a bit, Lutz may have more accurate information.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Finding data on cars no longer in production is often a matter of luck. Up to about 7 years old, information on most models can be found on the cuddles.abelgratis site. Beyond that it gets more difficult. With a bit of luck one can find references to the same car in road tests which were carried out by the motoring press at the time and which are still stored somewhere in the internet. Another possible source of information are owners' clubs and their forums. It often requires a bit of googling to find them, though. Manufacturers tend to delete all information as soon as their models go out of production.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
The simplest, quickest and most accurate way is to do what I did. Put it on a weighbridge.

Your Local Council will have details of weighbridges with public access in the area.

I found with our new car that the kerbweight stated in the sales brochure AND the V5 were different AND both wrong lol.

At least by going to the weighbridge I am confident that I have the correct weight so that I can accurately calculate 85% which I dont want to exceed at this time as I am new to towing.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Although the 85% recommendation makes some sense, there's no need to get too concerned about knowing the kerbweight absolutely accurately. I challenge anyone to tell the difference in the way an outfit 3% either way handles, all other conditions being equal. Besides, the ratio is based on a virtually empty car towing a fully laden caravan - a condition that, in itself, is not normally very realistic.

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
Well said Lutz!

I actually tow a Bailey Ranger 470/4 with my Picasso 2.0 Hdi. The match is approx (according to whattowcar) 93%.

Whilst towing, our car is laden with 3 adults, a child and numerous camping items which are not calculated in the whattowcar match. I reckon the passengers alone weigh approx 230kg. I am in no way reckless, in fact a very careful and considerate driver who abides by the speed limit at all times, towing within my limitations and load the caravan and distribute the weight with great prescision.

Obviously I would rather tow within the 85% rule but sometimes it's a luxury that not all of us can afford.

Andrew

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts