Kettle

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We replaced our previous 800w Quest kettle with a 800w Kampa Kettle. One thing that is very obvious is that for some reason the Kampa kettle takes a lot longer to boil the water. I am not sure why as it does not make sense?

I guess we will be looking at purchasing a 2000w kettle later today to use when on 16amp sites as no fun sitting on hands waiting for kettle to boil when you are gasping for a nice cup of tea. LOL! 😂 😂

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We do have both the 800 and 2,000 watt kettles to use as needed. The 2,000 one came after our daughter and her friend borrowed the caravan and the 800 watt one was so slow they thought it was broken.
No idea why the newer one should take longer to boil though.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Collapsible hob top kettle. Minimum space usable anywhere.
Thanks, but looking for an electric kettle that we can switch on to boil and do other things while it gets to the boil and switches off automatically if we forget about it which is quite possible these days. LOL! 😂 😂

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
We replaced our previous 800w Quest kettle with a 800w Kampa Kettle. One thing that is very obvious is that for some reason the Kampa kettle takes a lot longer to boil the water. I am not sure why as it does not make sense?

I guess we will be looking at purchasing a 2000w kettle later today to use when on 16amp sites as no fun sitting on hands waiting for kettle to boil when you are gasping for a nice cup of tea. LOL! 😂 😂
I thought you would use a gas kettle, instead of electric, as you don't like paying for the power !!! As for taking longer to boil, what is the fluid capacity of the kettle 75cc or 1 litre

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
We have an 800 watt Quest kettle and it’s fine if only half filled (2 cups), any more in it and it’d be quicker to heat it by leaving it out in the sun!

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Your still going to use the same amount of power to boil a quantity of water.
Let's say 1 liter of water, 800 watt, in theory 10 minutes .
1 liter of water , 1600 watt, probably 5 minutes .
Cost will be the same.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, but looking for an electric kettle that we can switch on to boil and do other things while it gets to the boil and switches off automatically if we forget about it which is quite possible these days. LOL! 😂 😂
If you use a whistle kettle on a gas hob you can boil 4 regular size eggs in the kettle and still make a cup of tea or coffee.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’ve gone soft in old age. We have to this day stuck to our gas job whistle kettle. I really can’t be bothered switching stuff off just for a kettle. Never mind the power bill to me or the site.

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I get on very well with my Russel Hobs 1KW travel kettle. Although I must admit I find the "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" of the stove kettle rather satisfying when I am off grid.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Cost will be the same.
Both kettles have the same capacity and it was OH who noticed the difference. Nothing to do with cost, but issue is gasping for a cup of tea. However sourced a 2200w kettle yesterday from Tesco so all is good.😆

As we use the CL regularly for our stay we paid the owner and extra £10 as we understand the use of EHU bites into their little profit margin and we have our family from SA staying with us in the caravan for 2 nights.

Whether it is just a single person, 2 people or 6, I suspect the difference in electric consumption will not differ very much Also the extra payment we offered helps keeping us in their good books. (y):D

Reactions: otherclive
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
Cost will be the same.

No, you are not going to use the same amount of power - you will use the same amount of <energy> to effect the boil, but if one kettle takes 800W and the other takes 1600W then the latter takes double the amount of power of the former albeit for half the time.

No-one has mentioned in this thread anything about current usage. A 2kw kettle will pull 2000/240 or just over 8 amps. Add to this the water heater that may be active (450W (2A) for older types, 850W(3.5A) for such as an Alde), the fridge (120W (0.5A) under surface or 180W (0.75A) tall) and you may exceed 10A. If your caravan or the pillar has a 10A breaker you may trip it. Be aware.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Our previous Swift had an ammeter in the display so you could see just how much current you were drawing, some appliances were a bit of an eye opener and careful management of what was switched on and when was necessary. One of the highest consumption accessories was my wife’s hair straighteners.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No, you are not going to use the same amount of power - you will use the same amount of <energy> to effect the boil, but if one kettle takes 800W and the other takes 1600W then the latter takes double the amount of power of the former albeit for half the time.

No-one has mentioned in this thread anything about current usage. A 2kw kettle will pull 2000/240 or just over 8 amps. Add to this the water heater that may be active (450W (2A) for older types, 850W(3.5A) for such as an Alde), the fridge (120W (0.5A) under surface or 180W (0.75A) tall) and you may exceed 10A. If your caravan or the pillar has a 10A breaker you may trip it. Be aware.

Our caravan has a load monitor fitted so should cut off the heating or the hot water heating. We have managed on Spanish sites with only 4amp and had the air con running. Hot water off during day and fridge on gas.

By the way the post was only a light hearted post about the urgency of having a cup of tea as soon as possible. LOL! :D

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
.....don't get me started on 2kw kettles :confused:.

I have been verbally obused by both the site owner and an English couple on a French campsite.
The site has 8 amp pitches.
I arrived on site and connected to a post that an English couple were already connected to.
Everything was fine and I was only using the fridge....the post tripped after around 5 minutes.
The English couple complained to me and assumed my arrival was the problem.
I asked them if they had a 2kw kettle..and their reply was sowhat!
I pointed out the site supply was only 8 amps.
They complained at the office and the irate owner appeared and gave me a verbal tongue lashing.
I then reacted to the stupidity of the situation having driven 300 miles that day.
I removed my ehu from that post and plugged into a post 2 pitches away with no problems.
At least the English guy, a bit sheepishly, came to apologise saying he didn't realise the French owner would react like that.

Reactions: Hutch

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
We have a French 1.2 kW kettle and another kettle suited to the gas hob.
We just use a bit of sense how we use our electric kettle and all the other mains electrical consumer kit bearing in mind the rating of the EHU.
Never considered any of this required " rocket science" levels of understanding to use kit within the particular capabilities of the supplies.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
Just checked ours and it’s made by Quest, 900 watts. It isn’t the fastest boiling kettle for sure but I prefer a more leisurely pace when away in the caravan!

Reactions: RogerL
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our first overnight stop in France was always on a site with only 6 amp EHU , it got my wife to learn what to turn off in the caravan when she wanted to use her hair drier. The next trip over she had her hair cut very short so didn't need the hair dryer.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Don't mention kettles please!!
On site yesterday morning our trusty 15 year plus sun camp 900w kettle kept tripping at the bollard. Reverted to the gas hob whistling one.
On our travels yesterday bought a new Russell hobs 1000w travelling kettle, perfect for two. Boiled afternoon and evening no problem. 1600w hairdryer no probs. Boil new kettle this morning and yep, kept tripping the bollard.
Will turn heating off tomorrow before boiling. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Don't mention kettles please!!
On site yesterday morning our trusty 15 year plus sun camp 900w kettle kept tripping at the bollard. Reverted to the gas hob whistling one.
On our travels yesterday bought a new Russell hobs 1000w travelling kettle, perfect for two. Boiled afternoon and evening no problem. 1600w hairdryer no probs. Boil new kettle this morning and yep, kept tripping the bollard.
Will turn heating off tomorrow before boiling. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I turn off the water heater after Elaine has had her shower , but make sure she as her cuppa first.
You don't need a kettle for a Bloody Mary for a Breakfast warmer, and your not driving anywhere.

Reactions: GaryB
Aug 5, 2022
Visit site
I got so fed up with remembering what breaker we were on and what else was in use I gave up on maximising heating economy. Gas is Safefill so is not a crazy price. Just use that to heat the van then we can do pretty much as we please to make the tea,

Steve

Reactions: Gagakev and JTQ
May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our first overnight stop in France was always on a site with only 6 amp EHU , it got my wife to learn what to turn off in the caravan when she wanted to use her hair drier. The next trip over she had her hair cut very short so didn't need the hair dryer.
That's what is known as thinking outside the box.

Reactions: Buckman and SteveW
Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I turn off the water heater after Elaine has had her shower , but make sure she as her cuppa first.
You don't need a kettle for a Bloody Mary for a Breakfast warmer, and your not driving anywhere.
So I turned heating and water off.
Lovely cup of tea with no problems.
BUT...
Mags jumps into shower, half way through shouts it's freezing. Only forgotten to put water back on.
I'm in the doghouse today.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts