Kids Sleeping in Awnings?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Sep 25, 2005
Visit site
Our sons loved it!! It also gave them an area of thier own which they need as they get a bit older - plus it gives Mom a bit of peace!!! Ours slept out - either in the ridge tent or an awning annex even in january!

In fact our eldest son was just 6 weeks old on his first trip out and slept in the awning!

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
some body creeping in the awning is not the only risk ,my cousin was staying at the C Club Cirencester park site ,when there daughter came running into the caravan screaming there's a car coming ,some women never put the hand brake on her Range Rover properly allthough she swore that she did, but by sheer luck the car veered away and just pulled the pegs out of the corner of the awning ,you could see the tracks in the grass where the car went ,i dread to think what over 2 ton rolling over an awning would have done .

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
It's called an "accident" joby. They happen!

I've seen kids run over on camp sites as well. Their own fault and both times with minimal injury! Plenty of other accidents happen on camp sites as well.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
cris you call it what you like ,but i would call it neglect,i was just pointing out the other risks that can be involved ,while every body was just pointing out one risk ,if i wanted to point out the other incidents, i have seen i would be on here all night

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I used to be a youth leader with a DA of the C&CC and used to take 20 or so kids of 12 and over away camping. I beleve you have to be sensible and you have to be aware of potential problems but you have to put them into perspective.

I cannot see that there is any substantiated risk in allowing children over the age of 12, or possibly 10 if there are more than one, sleeping in the awning either in a bedroom annex or internal tent in the awning. Kids have also been sleeping in pup tents for generations.

I cannot see the difference in a child sleeping in the awning and a child in its own bedroom in a large family tent. If your worried leave the van door open.

I was once on the organising committee of a large ralley held by the C&CC. The vans were parked back to back and there were pup tents down the middle between them. It would have been impossible for a car to get in between the vans but we hadn't counted on a motor bike. A local lad used the field as a short cut every night, and on entering the field in the dark, and seeing lots of vans on his normal route across the field, went between the vans and run into a pup tent with 2 or 3 kids in it. There was no injuries but a lot of commotion as the bike became tangled with the tent.I don't know point I am making but you cannot worry about everything and children have to become independant.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
I used to be a youth leader with a DA of the C&CC and used to take 20 or so kids of 12 and over away camping. I beleve you have to be sensible and you have to be aware of potential problems but you have to put them into perspective.

I cannot see that there is any substantiated risk in allowing children over the age of 12, or possibly 10 if there are more than one, sleeping in the awning either in a bedroom annex or internal tent in the awning. Kids have also been sleeping in pup tents for generations.

I cannot see the difference in a child sleeping in the awning and a child in its own bedroom in a large family tent. If your worried leave the van door open.

I was once on the organising committee of a large ralley held by the C&CC. The vans were parked back to back and there were pup tents down the middle between them. It would have been impossible for a car to get in between the vans but we hadn't counted on a motor bike. A local lad used the field as a short cut every night, and on entering the field in the dark, and seeing lots of vans on his normal route across the field, went between the vans and run into a pup tent with 2 or 3 kids in it. There was no injuries but a lot of commotion as the bike became tangled with the tent.I don't know point I am making but you cannot worry about everything and children have to become independant.
Joby get a grip, there is risk crossing the road. It is neglect to leave a hand brake off. But somebody getting hit would still be an accident. Thousands sleep with kids in tents, the Awning is as Ok as anything else.

What happens about the fire in the Caravan from the smoking parent where the kids were saved from injury by being in the Awning ?

The Range Rover could have crashed into the Awning missing sleeping kids and blocked the door out of the van leaving those inside to be burnt to death as the chip pan spilt oil and caught fire ;-)

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
joby get a grip, there is risk crossing the road. It is neglect to leave a hand brake off. But somebody getting hit would still be an accident. Thousands sleep with kids in tents, the Awning is as Ok as anything else.

What happens about the fire in the Caravan from the smoking parent where the kids were saved from injury by being in the Awning ?

The Range Rover could have crashed into the Awning missing sleeping kids and blocked the door out of the van leaving those inside to be burnt to death as the chip pan spilt oil and caught fire ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts