Kittens Galore

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Well, maybe not galore but three anyway.

I have, how shall we say acquired a mother and 3 kittens from when they were 2days old. At the time of the rain and floods.

Hubby has now settled to the shock of them in the house!!

I cannot keep any of these kittens, at the moment they are three weeks old, and here is my problem.

How do I wean them.

By this I mean where do I put them and how do I deal with their pooping. Up to now its been a breeze, I haven't got a clue what to do now, how to house them for instance, how to control their pooping when they start, what to put them in etc etc etc.

HELP HELP

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Smiley

Get a litre tray and put cat litter in it and take them to it to show them were you are put it and they will son learn to use.

Mark

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mark

At the moment their in my wardrobe.

I made a little house thing for mommy and babies but after 2 weeks of her moving them I gave in and let them stay in the wardrobe.

I don't understand why she wants to e there, when she can have the spare room all to herself, but there is where she is happy.

I have to move them downstairs this weekend as hubby won't entertain litter upstairs (he won't entertain them at all) talk about the fur flying I didn't know he had so much !!!

So when I move them downstairs I know I will have to be running up and down all day, will she let them stay down if I start weaning?

May 10, 2007
Visit site
We had a pregnant mother cat adopt us when we lived in Italy and she had six kittens.

You don't wean them, mother cat will do that. Don't give kittens milk or cream, the kittens will move on to mothers solid meat food quite fully at around seven to eight weeks old or when they and mothers had enough.

We used a litter tray and the tiny babies were soon in it digging like adult cats after they had got past mum cleaning up for them.

At around 3-4 weeks they will be moving on to solid food in my experience, pouches of whiska's kitten food is ideal at first as adult food may be harder to digest.

Ria

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Kittens are not like puppies - they don't actually need litter-tray training. Mum should clean them up until they are old enough to be walking about - and then if she's using the litter tray they will too! We had five kittens and never had any problems with the 'house-training' issue. Similarly with weaning. When you feed mum, and the kittens are mobile, they will graduate to firstly smelling the food, then they'll 'explore' it - getting it all over their noses, and then they'll start eating it themselves. At the same time the amount they need to feed from mum will reduce. Don't put the food dishes too near the litter tray if you can possibly avoid it.

If you put a small advert in a nearby newsagent or supermarket you will get people ringing up offering them homes - but 'vet' them well, don't just give them to anyone - ask if they've had cats before, try to ensure the kittens don't go to anyone living on a busy road, and make sure they know what they're going (even if you don't!!!). I do some voluntary work with the Cats Protection League and if you have a branch locally they may offer advice or help in finding homes for the kittens.

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Smiley,

First off thanks for looking after the strays. Just wondering if the mother seems domesticated or does she behave like a feral cat !!! maybe someone locally is looking for their cat ?.

You could try your local Cats Protection League to see if they will take the cats off your hands. Recently there has been a shortage of kittens available for good homes, so pleases try your local CPL or your local pet shop.If the mother looks realy well she may have been chipped at the vets,which would give you an address for the cat.

Good Luck

Val & Frank

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts