Knocking noise when towing

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
I have just purchased an 08 Volkswagon Tiguan 2 litre diesel to tow my Bailey Ranger 460/2. We took it out last weekend for the first time. We were concerned to hear a double knocking sound (or banging) from the rear of the vehicle when we went over a pot hole or dip in the road. This didn't happen every time, but it was quite alarming, and we could feel it through the chassis. I have just had the suspension checked at the dealers and everything is apparently okay. It doesn't happen when we are solo.

Peter

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Peter

The same thing happened to us and it was our suspension. It didn't happen when the caravan was unhitched. It almost sounds like the electric cables banging against the A-Frame, it was a very worrying sound.

We took our car to peugeot and they told us that there was nothing wrong with the suspension and that it was the suspension springs banging against the stoppers (whatever that means). Needless to say, we are in the process of selling our car.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Have you checked to see if your towbar is loose?

I have had that happen, exert pressure up/down on the ball.

Other than that tow another van to eliminate your van, or get someone to tow your van.

This will at least isolte the problem

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
I have had a similar noise - I subscribe to Lutz theory if it is a detachable one - only noticable at low speed ?

Last time I towed to the Lakes and back not a sound !

Am convinced that the detachable part wasn't seated properly - it was certainly engaged and locked.

Jon

Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
It can be surprising, how small knocking noises travel and sound like something quite significant. I had quite a loud knocking noise on my Heritage whenever I went over an uneven surface. It turned out to be a plastic spatula and some tongs which were hanging on the utensil rack banging against the inside wall. I could not beleive how much noise it made outside the caravan.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
I had a knocking noise on the way to Anglesey the other week. When I stopped to check, it was my jockey wheel swinging around slapping the side of the a frame. But then I am a newbie.

TRENDING THREADS