Kwt v GVW

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can any one explain the differance between Kerb Weight and Grand Vehicle Weight?? Which is the value I should use to calculate the weight of the caravan.Bazz.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I think you mean Gross Vehicle Weight, not Grand Vehicle Weight. That is the maximum permissible all-up weight of the car when it's fully laden (including the noseweight, if hitched up to the caravan). Subtract the Gross Vehicle Weight from the Gross Train Weight (which you haven't mentioned) and you have the maximum permissible towload, which is the maximum allowable total axle load of the caravan.

With reference to the caravan, the only significance that kerbweight has, is to calculate the weight ratio. That is the total maximum weight of the caravan, divided by the kerbweight of the car.

The absolute maximum permissible all-up weight of the caravan (usually referred to as its MTPLM, sometimes MAW, although there are slight differences in definition there) is the specified towload limit for the car plus the noseweight, or the kerbweight of the car if you passed your driving test after the 1st January 1997, whichever is the lower.

However, it is generally accepted that the ideal maximum weight of the caravan should not exceed 85% of the kerbweight of the car, unless the specified towload limit for the car is even lower.

As clear as mud now? Sorry, but I don't know how to put it any better.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Bazz,

Kerbweight is the weight of the vehicle, usually in its delivery state, with a full tank of petrol, all oils and waters and an allowance for the drivers weight, normallly about 70kg.

GVW is Gross Vehicle Weight and is the maximum design weight the vehicle must not exceed fully laden with passengers, luggage, etc.

The "normal" weight used to calculate caravan weight allowance is the Kerbweight, and it is recommended that novice towers try and stay within 85% of the Kerbweight.

All weights must be taken into consideratio, and of course, the overriding consideration is the Train Weight, which is the total weight allowed for the combination of car and van

The vehicle itself will have a maximum towing limit, and wil have a maximum noseweight allowance for the weight placed on the towball by the van

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts