L shaped lounges

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone on here have any recommendations or dislikes about an L shaped lounge. We have just viewed an Eldiss with that arrangement, but worrying a little whether there are any drawbacks we have not thought of.

Steve

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi steve, when me and OH sit in the lounge (parallel sofas) in the evening we each sit with backs aginst the corner cushions and feet up, both facing the TV. I have never had an L shaped lounge and so could be wrong, but I don't think we could do this. Perhaps you need to think how you use your current lounge and what difference an L shaped one would make.
mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, Yes we had a L shape seating our last van was a Bailey Mossell, we had it for 11 years load of room in the front for us and two dogs, but making up the bed at night the seat need to be put the right way round and the little piece of foam just fit in, but we found that you will need a memory foam a good 2in thick to get a good night sleep,
But had to down size the van due to careless people parking where I live, Now got a 2 bert Coachman and love it to bit so no more makeing bed we just sleep single or make it up to a double and no memory foam to use, Best van we had for sleeping and sitting around and Good Luck with your if you go a head with it, Trevor123

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
Whilst I haven't owned a caravan with an L-shaped lounge, I've been in one or two over the years. It is all down to personal choice, but I wouldn't have one for the following reasons.
  1. It's difficult to make use of single beds if required.
  2. The slope of the front of the caravan in some cases restricts how upright you can sit.
  3. Mael times around a table can be problematic - with three, one person has to wrap their legs around the table leg, and then play "footsie" with whoever they're sitting next to.
  4. Although you usually gain a corner cupboard and TV point, I much prefer the usefulness of a front centre chest - occasional table adequate for two for meals, somewhere to put drinks etc, plus a couple of drawers.
Nigel.

May 1, 2010
Visit site
During our 40 years of caravanning we have had 2 L lounges. We liked them because they gave more room for our 2 dogs that we have had most of the time. The first was a Bailey brilliant. The next was a new Abbey that we liked for the layout. Unfortunately we did not spend time sitting in the front seat next to the front window. When we bought the van we found that when sitting in the front with back to window our heads, particuarly mine as I am 6'3", was jammed against the front window. Not good after 3 years we changed the van.
Make sure that you sit for a while in all places that you would expect to sit, and that you are confortable. L shape longes can be more complicated if you need to set them up as a double bed for sleeping and can be no go for separate bunks.
We now have a van with fixed bed. Would we buy a new van with an L lounge? May be we enjoyed our first one and you can get a feeling of more space. To sum up spend time sitting in the van and try making up beds.
What ever you decide enjoy your ne w van.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have ordered our last two caravans with L shaped lounges as we prefer them. Basically they make the lounge area more open and we feel look better. We have been able to feed four round the table and find them better for watching TV. The main downside is that making up the bed is a bit more difficult but not enough to be a problem. If you are happy with the appearence then I would go for it but it is just a matter of personal choice.

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
As a beginner, although having a twin axle with that extra bit of room we found our L shape lounge great as one of our dogs was in a crate as he is only a pup while the other could lay down on the floor. this would have been difficult in a parallel configuration as there was 4 of us humans as well.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
We had an L shape lounge in our caravan and it was brilliant as so much more room in front and the Tv is in a better position. Great for a couple but probably not if you have kids.

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
I really love the L shape sofas. As we have had both versions our last van had 2 single sofas and I always found it awkward for leg room when others sitting opposite you or wanting past you if your on the end. You don't have none of this with the L shape sofas which we have now plenty more leg room and when it's only hubby and wife it's lovely to be able to actually be on the same sofa. Wouldn't change it in fact we were thinking of uppi g the years of ours God willing next year but if I can't get another with L sofas along with an island bed the we won't be changing as I won't part with these shape of sofas.

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
As a beginner, although having a twin axle with that extra bit of room we found our L shape lounge great as one of our dogs was in a crate as he is only a pup while the other could lay down on the floor. this would have been difficult in a parallel configuration as there was 4 of us humans as well.

Could you tell me the make of your van and year I findING it very hard to find that shape in a newer van ours is 2007 Compass Rallye 634 but maybe thinking God willing next year to buy newer but not if can't get same shape sofas.

Aug 24, 2015
Visit site
My last post up there might seem complicated. The first paragraph is written by Grahame NOT ME.
Grahame could you tell me the make of your van seeing it has the L shape.

About making up the bed we have never had to so I can't comment how easy or diffI cult it is but the sofas can be used fine as we have had our Grandson and his girl sleep on it and he was 18yrs and 6ft tall. He slept on the 1 under the front window his girl on the other one ..No problem.

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Wondered why I got a message on my phone about this, Our van is a 2004 Elldis Crusader Super Sirocco , I think the last of them with L shaped lounge is up to 2007.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think most caravans with this layout are the result of purchasers taking the option which is what we did. The dealer who ordered us our Eldiss with one was very impressed with it and ordered another for their site. Because they were an option I suspect trawling through the adds on the internet is the best way of finding one.

TRENDING THREADS