Ladies towing

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

Just wondering how many ladies actually tow a caravan?

My husband thinks it would be good if I would tow. I must say

I'm not keen, would love to hear from any ladies that do.

Cheers

Lisa

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa,

there are lots of women that do tow, it is a good idea to learn how to because you never know when you may have no choice. Although i don't tow all the time, my husband had an accident so I had no choice so I had to tow, luckily enough I'd had a bit of practice.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi lisa, i do tow our caravan not done it too many times but get a bit more confident each time, i am not so worried about it now ,you should give it ago...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We've always shared the driving so naturally did the same with the caravan and my wifes never had any problems. Then again she's always had to drive due to work, were I've been luck that I'm only 10 mins from the office by train.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Lisa

Have a go

One thing that might help you to build your confident up would be to go on a caravan moving cores. These are put on by both the Caravan Club & Camping & Caravan Club.

I went on one leant a lot

Mark

Oct 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa,

I have been towing for years and I love it. Each year I go to Lac Annecy in the French Alps a distance of 850 miles each way (approx). I have been towing to the French Alps since 1983 sharing the driving, then between 1999 & 2004 I did all the driving. This year I was sharing the driving with my new partner which was his first long distance tow, after only two short runs.

Go on give it a go you'll love it

Happy towing

Cheers

Joyce

May 21, 2008
Visit site
As a male with over thirty years of towing experience, i applaude any lady drivers who tow.

My wife is not frightened to get behind the wheel and tow our twin axle van. The overall length of the outfit is as big as a 52 seater coach.

She has in the past towed with a VW LT35 curtain side truck and trailer at a max wight of 5500Kgs and towed a 3500Kg Ifor williams trailer with a 4x4.

Actually i think weomen make better tower's as they are more thoughtful before acting and always thinking of what could go wrong.

Men on the other hand tend to be macho and want to prove they can go faster and often see 60mph as a pre-requisite of towing, where as weomen stay a bit below that for safety.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As a male with over thirty years of towing experience, i applaude any lady drivers who tow.

My wife is not frightened to get behind the wheel and tow our twin axle van. The overall length of the outfit is as big as a 52 seater coach.

She has in the past towed with a VW LT35 curtain side truck and trailer at a max wight of 5500Kgs and towed a 3500Kg Ifor williams trailer with a 4x4.

Actually i think weomen make better tower's as they are more thoughtful before acting and always thinking of what could go wrong.

Men on the other hand tend to be macho and want to prove they can go faster and often see 60mph as a pre-requisite of towing, where as weomen stay a bit below that for safety.
Go for it

my wife has been towing our rig

LWB SHOGUN + 6 berth for years

Reversing, hitching parking, etc.

As quoted prior you never know when

it may be necessary.

A sensible question from a mature adult.

roger

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa

I was just discussing this with my husband last night. I have towed all round Germany and France using both a trailer and a trailer tent. I never experienced any problems at all.

Unfortunately, to date I have not towed our caravan and have decided that it is about time I took up this challenge. It cannot be a great deal different from other towing, as you can see the caravan attached to the car where trailers are not visible.

Thanks for your replies ladies (and gents!) will go for it!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, My husband doesn't like driving , so when we got our caravan it was just assumed that I would tow it, and I do , its a twin axle, combined length of 41 feet, .I just love it when I turn up at a site and the watchers are gob-smacked when I have no trouble reversing it into position . My rule is -I do the towing , my husband and children do the setting up. Give it a go because it allows you a greater freedom, for weekends for example,it means you can take it away and set up before the other half finishes his work. Mo

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa

I've towed our caravan since the year we bought it (9 years ago)I have towed every year in France and at home. With hubby or with out him. The last four years I've managed to sneak an extra week in France, this year I went down to the Pyrenees and waited for hubby to arrive.

Quite different towing on ones own, theres no hubby to think he's the boss all the time!!!!!

Jun 28, 2005
Visit site
hi,do you not get tired pulling the caravan,i would use the car if i were you,its much easier.seriously i have been trying to get my wife to drive with caravan,but she wont.i had to drive the 11 hours to cornwall myself this year while she slept.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks guy's for your replies. I may give it a go still undersided! The thing that bothers me is reversing,roundabouts and non-caravan drivers. May try one of those courses.

Cheers

Lisa

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
We have always shared the driving (usually 2 hours turn and turn about) and I have towed both in the UK and on the continent - mainly France, including on quite minor roads, wiggly mountain roads etc. etc. Easy peasy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lisa

My wife has towed both in this country and on the continent for years. On long motorway runs I even grab a snooze - is that not confidence for you!

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ladies must tow.

My wife tows our rig, 4x4 plus 6 berth, reverses, hitches up

no problems, we can share the driving, its not a macho thing, plus if the only driver was to be injured and unable to drive, what next.....

roger

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Towing has not been the problem that I thought it would. I sometimes think that the chaps make it sound more mysterious than it actually is. Reversing has not been a problem - I gained a lot of confidence though by going on the CC towing course, where you spend most of a day reversing round cones into spaces far narrower than the average site pitch. Generally I have found most drivers to be reasonable considerate - the occasional person allowing me to pull out in front of them (!) - as long as they know where you are going, so signal in plenty of time before you manoeuvre. I've found that 'thanking' drivers - a wave or indicator flick - goes a long way. There are idiots though who will do anything to get past you.

Something I did when I first got the van was to hitch up and just drive around for a while on familiar roads. This helped me to get a feel for how the van behaved at different speeds and on differing road surfaces without the pre-holiday 'got to get to the site early to get a decent pitch' pressure.

I tend to regard towing as a means to an end - towing means holidays!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa - Anne went on a CC towing course years ago. Just as well she did, because shortly afterwards I suffered a head injury & couldn't drive for about 6 weeks, just before we were due to go to France on hols in 1992. Thanks to the excellent course - no problems at all. We went to Switz this year for our 30th anniversary. As it was a 600 mile drive through France it was great that we were able to share the driving in 2-3 hour "shifts". Anne was a bit unsure at first, but now has no worries at all. Towing can be quite relaxing as you know you can't exceed 60mph in the UK, therefore you mentally slip into a more relaxed state. So come on ladies - take the plunge and give the old man a break!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lisa go for it my wife tows our big twin axle and does a sterling job,she also drives a 17ton lorry

just remember you can do it but you have to want to

TRENDING THREADS