Lake Orta, Italy

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Can anyone advise on routes to Lake Orta? Our daughter is planning a summer wedding next year in Orta San Giulio. We will use the tunnel to cross the channel, since we use Tesco vouchers for this. If possible we would prefer to avoid having to buy a vignette for Switzerland.

Also, any suggestions for places to stop overnight there and back? We do not plan to take the caravan.

Jo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
hi Jo ,I am slightly curious why you wouldn't want to pay for the switz vignette. roughly £25, any other route option to get to lake Orta in a realistic time involves far far greater tolls by travelling through France.. indeed entering Italy and leaving Italy by mont blanc would involve steeper tolls than the switz vignette on the own. Although if your not in a rush and have an idea of what you want and an area you'd like to stop over, there's always a differing route availabe to get tolls down from the normal route.....

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
A good question! Truth is that OH seems to have a pathological dislike of all things Swiss. He also has a sister near Challons sur Saone, so that's a possible for a stop over. I shall have to look at the economics of it and argue the toss if necessary. We are a little unsure about using hotels due to both the price and possible security issues, as we will be transporting the wedding dress. Thanks for your input.

I checked viamichelin before I posted my original query and just wondered whether anyone has "ideal" or preferred routes to this part of Italy.

Jo

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
When we travelled to Italy we went via Austria and set the sat nav to avoid tolls, it was a little slower but went well.
Get an acsi card or camping cheques it you are travelling outside of hi season.
you can use via Michelin to plan your main route it is the better of the route planners for Europe.
If your route takes you close to Luxembourg make a detour for fuel it's the cheapest in Europe.

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
hi jo.. I understand your concern about staying overnight in an hotel whilst carrying the wedding dress but there are some decent reputable hotel chains ,and not too pricey, the Ibis range isnt badly priced and i dont mean there budget chain Etap... good choice especially in france have used them often the IBIS at Sallenches at the foothill of mont blanc twice. the one in Luxembourg and several times the one in Heidelberg. Germany . If you decide to visit the Sil at Chalons realistically then it is mont blanc and all the French tolls. by visiting your SIL at chalons its reasonable to assume you could reach there by nightfall..from there your 5 or 6 hours from lake Orta, no need to worry about an hotel so that would be a saving that would go a long way to off setting the tolls.. good luck..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts