Lakes site for new year

Mar 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi all, Have looked at a site called Wild Rose in Ormside, westmorland. I am thinking of booking this for New Year and would appriciate any info you have, what kind of amenities are close by, shops, pubs etc etc. Also have never ben on a site at New Year just wondering what happens, hoping it will be a good atmosphere. failing that does anyone know of any other sites.

Thanks

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Troy

I stayed at this site in June whilst visiting the horse fair held in Appleby. I saw the site at its maximum capacity and apart from myself, friend, daughter and her friend, the rest of the caravanners were travelling people from all around the country and Ireland. Not an issue for me, I have romany blood in me!! I can honestly say there was no feeling of overcrowding at all. If a site can cope with that amount of people and the rather bad reputation travelling people have, it can cope with anything. There was no trouble at all.

The site was superbly maintained at all times during that period, toilets and showers in plentiful supply, clean at all times. There is an outdoor pool which will be closed when you visit. There is an information room, excellent shop which stocks groceries, magazines, camping items. It sells alcohol (necessity for me!)at competitive prices. Also sells gas.

There is a takeaway selling food a very reasonable prices and you can have a full cooked breakfast in the eatery.

They have several washing machines and two industrial dryers which are excellent plus an iron. In the laundry area they sell caravan/camping items seconhand on behalf of residents of the statics. I missed a bargin whilst I was there.

There are quite a few statics which are well maintained.

Appleby itself is quite small, it has a Coop, newsagents, several pubs, chip shop and police station along with a couple of touristy type shops. There is a swimming pool in Appleby too.

There's not much to do in the area in my opinion but as I only go for the horse fair, it suits my needs. Penrith is about 18 miles away and is a good shopping area with a Safeway (Morrisons)too, also a couple of small retail parks.

I haven't stayed in the area in Winter so can't comment on that. It was classed as peak season during the horse fair so it was a bit pricey but I thought the facilities and the helpful staff outweighed cost. The hookup is 10amp.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Regards.

Lh

Mar 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi Troy

I stayed at this site in June whilst visiting the horse fair held in Appleby. I saw the site at its maximum capacity and apart from myself, friend, daughter and her friend, the rest of the caravanners were travelling people from all around the country and Ireland. Not an issue for me, I have romany blood in me!! I can honestly say there was no feeling of overcrowding at all. If a site can cope with that amount of people and the rather bad reputation travelling people have, it can cope with anything. There was no trouble at all.

The site was superbly maintained at all times during that period, toilets and showers in plentiful supply, clean at all times. There is an outdoor pool which will be closed when you visit. There is an information room, excellent shop which stocks groceries, magazines, camping items. It sells alcohol (necessity for me!)at competitive prices. Also sells gas.

There is a takeaway selling food a very reasonable prices and you can have a full cooked breakfast in the eatery.

They have several washing machines and two industrial dryers which are excellent plus an iron. In the laundry area they sell caravan/camping items seconhand on behalf of residents of the statics. I missed a bargin whilst I was there.

There are quite a few statics which are well maintained.

Appleby itself is quite small, it has a Coop, newsagents, several pubs, chip shop and police station along with a couple of touristy type shops. There is a swimming pool in Appleby too.

There's not much to do in the area in my opinion but as I only go for the horse fair, it suits my needs. Penrith is about 18 miles away and is a good shopping area with a Safeway (Morrisons)too, also a couple of small retail parks.

I haven't stayed in the area in Winter so can't comment on that. It was classed as peak season during the horse fair so it was a bit pricey but I thought the facilities and the helpful staff outweighed cost. The hookup is 10amp.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Regards.

Lh
Thank you for the quick response, that has really helped. Alcohol is a must for us too, and as long as their is a shop, and a pub in walking distance, clean showers - its sounds like a done deal. Thanks again

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank you for the quick response, that has really helped. Alcohol is a must for us too, and as long as their is a shop, and a pub in walking distance, clean showers - its sounds like a done deal. Thanks again
Troy

The shop is on site. There isn't a pub within walking distance you would have to drive Appleby is probably about one and a half to two miles away. They do sell a good selection of booze. I forgot to take my wine with me and was pleased with their selection and prices.

If you need to know anything else, let me know I know the area quite well.

Regards

Lh

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts