Land Rover Defender

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Would anyone happen to have an opinion on this as a towcar?

My husband would like one as a "toy" (greenlaning, mud-clubbing etc) but also it would be used as a second towcar.

Thanks in anticipation

Lolly x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Many years ago I borrowed a Defender and a farm trailer from a friend to go logging. I towed back a huge amount of wood, and it was very capable - solid, torquey, very safe and steady.

The main disadvantages for towing a caravan are the noise and the lack of refinement and comfort. Personally, I wouldn't like to try several hours of autoroute in one.

It all depends what you're into. It is definitely a capable towcar with a fine pedigree. Just ask any farmer ...

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for your reply Mike.

It would only really be used for a towcar if the Disco was poorly - more for playing with really - so I guess we could put up with the noise, just have to turn the stereo up louder!

Lolly x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Lolly - Agree totally with Mike P

I would add that whilst they are probably the ultimate off-road car and superb at towing they are very agricultural compared to a Discovery or Range Rover.

However for serious off-roading (Have you guys joined Glass after the Easter event????) none better! - tho' the smaller lighter Suzuki's are excellent and equally competent but for different reasons. But for towing it would have to be a Defender out of those two.

The biggest problem my son had when trying to buy a 90 was finding a decent one. The good ones are amazingly expensive. In comparison a good Disco or RR of the same year is far better value.

But I admit the looks and ability of a 90 or 110 make it the one to beat.

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive

No, we havn't joined any off road thing yet - we have just had the AT tyres fitted and it's on my list of things to do in the New Year.

Merry Christmas to you and your wife

Love Lolly x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Same to you and yours Lolly

Hope you have a good one.

Well done on getting the AT's - I am about to have a set of Scorpions fiited to mine next week. I am about 1mm above the tyre wear indicators and the ABS is clicking in, in even the mildest of muddy conditions. A sure sign of reduced grip.

Feb 21, 2006
Visit site
We tow with a 110 which does take some time to live with, due to noise ,but soon came to like very much indeed We tow a 1600 KG caravan with 5 canoes two of which are 3Ft wide and 12Ft long on the roof of the car plus some bikes then two bikes on tow bar mount.this year we took it to the Dordogne from St Malo About 11 hours , It tows Great and you do not worry about walking all over it. Rob

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Lolly,

The defender, as everyone has said is a strong work horse,

my experience of driving one was at work for about 18months prior to retirement, I felt as if everything was to far over to the right. It would have been more comfortable with my right arm cut off, I wouldn`t like to go far in one the seats are as thin as sheets, and does it have suspension, it played havoc with my back.

As for Greenlaning leave the car on the tarmac and walk down them,this has the effect of leaving them green, then everyone else can enjoy walking down them aswell.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts