Laptop WiFi

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi All

Whilst I'm not new to using computers I have only just got myself a laptop with built in WiFi. Now this may sound a daft question but what exactly do I do if I go to somewhere that offers (hopefully free) wifi ?

Do I just switch on the computer and open Microsoft Outlook or Explorer or what. I guess it will be something simple but I just don't know. Any help will be very welcome.

JohnM

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi John,

What operating system does your laptop have?

Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Apple, Linux?

It will help with an explanation of how to get the wi-fi going.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
most new laptops pick the wi fi up immediately and show it on the task bar,all you need is the password from the source provider

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi try going to the start button bottom left on the task bar, box opens goto connect too in control panel section and tap mouse.

Will open a box showing all available signals, choose the one most applicable if multiple signals detected.

will then highlight as connected.

Close box and open internet as usual, will either connect you if wifi is free and unsecure or might take you to a log in page where you need to enter a password usually given by reception on most sites.

p.s if your computer has a switch to turn on the wifi make sure its on.

hope this helps

John

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
As Tony said it really does depend on what OS you are running.

Generally you are looking for a command which states "search for networks" and the command comes in many flavours.

Once you have found the command it should then show a box displaying all available networks and there should be an indication showing if they are secured (locked) or unsecured (unlocked)

Obviously you are looking for the unlocked and if you click on one your PC should connect.

G

Just remember to ensure that you have a good virus software and a spyware checker installed on your machine. Do not trust Macafee and Norton 100% as they do miss certain 'beasties'. It is not unknown for uncontrolled services to be carriers of little 'nasties' that will infiltrate your machine, and be even more careful of anything that warns you your machine has been 'infected' as it is the warning that is the infection. This may happen when you are browsing a seemingly innocent webpage such as a caravan supplier for example. Some 'trojan's, viruses etc' are sent out on random addresses a bit like cold calls at home. They keep trying until they get a hit. If it happens, disconnect immediately, restart without internet and clean the system.

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Hi John,

To some extent it will also depend how the laptop has been configured and if it is using Windows own wireless controller software or that supplied with the laptop.

If you look on the right hand side of the thin task bar at the bottom of the screen (the task bar may run down one side of the screen if that is where it has been positioned) you may see a small symbol that looks like a bar graph with increasing sized bars. Or a small symbol that looks like a monitor with a satellite dish or aerial on it.

If you have either of these logos, or anything else that looks similar and they have a cross through them (Or possibly the bar symbol is red) then this indicates that the wireless is enabled but that there is no connectivity.

If you aren't using wi-fi at home and you can face the ordeal of a trip to Mc'Donalds (or somehere else that offers free wi-fi)then go there with your laptop and observe the symbols.

The symbol should change to show that wi-fi signals are available in the vacinity. Click on the symbol and it should open a screen that shows all the available access points that have been detected. Select the one you want to connect to by double clicking on it. If it says "secure network" then this means it is password protected and you need the password key from the network provider.For free wi-fi you need an unsecure or open connection.

If you don't have the symbols on your task bar as described above then try the following :

Left click on the START button bottom left.

Left click on the NETWORK option in the list on the right.

(If there isn't an option Network) then select Control Panel instead, then Network & Internet, then Network & Sharing centre).

Left click where it says Network & Sharing Centre

Left click to the left where it says Connect to a Network

Select Wireless in the dropdown box where it says Show

A list of available wi-fi networks should then appear and you can click on the one you want to connect to.

After doing all of this, open the internet browser and go to a page like www.google.co.uk.

If you are in Mc'Donalds then instead of google you will get a Mc'Donalds wi-fi page where I think you have to register your email address to get the free wi-fi access. Once you have done this you can surf as normal.

Have to say that I am no expert and the above may not be 100% right and there may be a quicker way. But you can't do any damage by trying, so have a go and come back to us if you hit any problems.

Anyone else reading with more knowledge, then feel free to chip in !!

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Tony

Thanks for your comprehensive reply. I might have to go to McDonalds for the first time in my life and give it a try. Then again, I think Wetherspoon pubs also have free wifi !

Seriously, one of the reasons for getting the laptop is for when we go to France / Germany for three weeks. It will enable me to keep in touch with home but also be useful for checking places out on the web before we travel to them. Does the same connection sequence apply in France / Germany ? I guess it probably does.

Thanks again

JohnM

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
Wetherspoon sounds like a better bet!

Yes, if you can get the connection sequence working in the UK, then it will be the same overseas.

Just a thought but do you have broadband at home and if so did your broadband service provider supply a wireless router when you signed up? That being the case, you could test your laptop at home, even if you have the main PC plugged into the router using a cable.

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
better still ,go & buy a dongle from one of the mobile providers,alot of the sites that do have wifi charge you for using it by the hr,so better to pay

G

Just one other suggestion. If you have a desktop at home fitted with a USB wireless adapter then try this as well on the laptop. Sometimes the laptop adapters seem to be poorer at picking up the signal than the USB ones. Take both and be safe than sorry.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The idea of a USB dongle receiver is good as using the laptop inside the caravan may be quite difficult - the body shell and certainly the window blids if down will severely limit the signal. A 3m. USB extension cord is a good idea too it means you can put the dongle on the end of the cord out through a window (and still be able to get the blinds down). Wrap the think in clingfilm or put it in a food polybag for weather proofing.

French and Spanish sites are increasingly having wifi but it can be very expensive - where I am it is 1 euro/day minimum 30 days. Not good for one or two nights. Some French sites last year were asking 1 euro/hour - much the same as internet cafes.

If you are going with friends, take out one subscription and share it, say odd and even dates.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts