Large van

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Does any body have any experience of using a large van in this country, 20' plus in length? I have just retired and want to enjoy the luxury end of the vanning game. I wondered if any access problems, or bias against long vans was a problem. Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive, I guess you'll be considering a twin axle 'van, as most singles are not much over 20' overall towing length, with body lengths of about 17-18' max. In which case you'll need to be an accomplished reverser as twins are virtually impossible to turn by hand, or you'll need to invest in a motor mover of some sort. You'll also need a substantial towcar, as most 20'+ vans are 1500-1800 MTPLM, so a 4x4 is virtually essential or very large heavy saloon/estate with at least 180 BHP to cope with pushing 3-4 tonnes of 'van & car about. UK sites have no problem with twins, but some French sites won't admit them as they think you may be a traveller! Have great retirement!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clive

I bought a 25 foot twin axle at the beginning of this year, i haven't had any trouble on any sites we have visited bar one. No problem with Caravan Club or any number of private sites. Windy Harbour near Blackpool said they had no pitches big enough for my van, I questioned this as they said they had super pitches. I also emailed the site questioning the decision, they did not reply to me.Regards Jim

May 21, 2008
Visit site
We have a twenty foot twin axle Link 575. Funnily enough we had our first restriction of use in Blackpool. Must be the water! We have toured thousands of miles over the last three years and had no refusals. Some pitches have been tight so being proficient at reversing is a help. We tow our's with a Renault 25 (130 BHP) at 100% of the car's tow capacity. I did check the van weight loaded on our local weigh bridge to make sure all was legal. Being a two wheel drive car we do have to be carefull to pitch the van leaveing the drive wheels of the tow car on firm ground in the wet, otherwise we get stuck, but that is the only thing we have to be attentive too. The outfit tows very well. We have invested in a motor mover mainly because I suffer from tendonitis which has gone through both elbows and into my shoulders, making physical pulling very painfull. The mover does the job so long as you don't expect too much of it. We liken it to having two strong men helping with moving the van. You just have to take your time and plan the manouver, as half a mile per hour is slow. Having said that I can put our van away at home going up a slope and parking very tight to one side of the drive against a wall (within 6 ins) in about thirty mins. We enjoy the space of our large van and I'm sure you will too. The main towing advise I can give is the motto we live by, "the house is on the back so don't worry about time, take things easy leave plenty of room cos if we are late or tired we can always stop and have a sleep anyway". Have a great time with your van.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts