late arrival at Caen

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I've booked a crossing to Caen in September which arrives at 9.30pm so should be off the ferry by 10.00pm. has anyone any suggestions for a place to stop near the port?
Thanks in advance.

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
We always head for Chateau Martragny to the west of Caen Ring Road. However this site does close approx mid September so depends when you are going. There is a municipal site which takes single axles only - Les Pommiers - 5 mins from the port but I do not know up to what time you can arrive. With Martragny you do not need to book in at that time of night - just pull up on the drive on any of the grassy pitches either side and plug in. Pay in the morning. It is however very dark so make sure you have your torches at the ready.

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi
Last year we did that crossing and stayed at a site near Pegasus Bridge, less than 10 mins from the ferry. Would use again, we faxed the booking to the site and the lady owner stayed in the office until we arrived. There's a few details on Eurocampings website and I used google maps to work out how to get to it.
Campsite Les Capucines
route de la Côte Fleurie
14860 Ranville
France

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
We are going on the sme crossing in June and have decided to stay in the Car Park just outside the port. I can't see the point of paying €17 for 24 hours and only staying for about 10 hours.
I know people wil say that it is not safe to stop on a car park, the same as they say it is unsafe to stay on a services on the motorways.

Les

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Carper, why pay for a whole day and only stay a few hours. We've never had any problems with parking overnight in the car park outside the Caen port gates (except on July 14).

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
i use the caen crossing quite a lot these days since we bought our property in brittany when we take the caravan we always use this saite http://www.campinghautescoutures.com/ it clean and tidy has lots of good walking on the canal and as another poster has said you are a leisurly 10 min strole to pegasus bridge.
book direct with the site though (they do speak english) as we booked through select sites once and ended up paying a large premium.

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks you all for your suggestions. We'll robably have a look at the car park and, if it feels OK, use that. We'll have a site to aim for as Plan B.
Thanks again,
Jaffa's dad.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts