Ld linesvBrittany ferries

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
This year we travelled from portsmouth to st malo then on to brittany,i am pricing up for next year we are going to the vendee, Brittany ferries are quoting £624 with caravan and family to st malo,ld lines are quoting £420 to le harve,i know ld are cheaper but it will be a longer drive from le harve which do you think is the best route and why ta andrew.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
You do not say what tome of the year you are going but we have always found sailing into St Malo more expensive. We would normally sail into Cherbourg (Poole / Cherbourg). Ring Caravan Club for a price and ask them for their special ITX fare which would include at least 7 nights on a booked site or 7 camping cheques. You could also get a ferry price from Camping Cheques - I think they are all waiting for the special offers from Brittany Ferries to come out for next year - should be out by end of month if not already.

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi. Never been to Brittany so cannot comment on the route. I have sailed with both companies several times and at the end of the day it depends on what suits you best. LD Lines offer a more basic service in terms of restaurants only having one self service one but have some very comfy lounges, they currently have only one boat on this route but this will change in November so there will be more choice of crossing times. I personally find them fine, on there website the chairman actually deals with any points raised and is open and honest.

I would prefer to save the substantial difference in cost and sacrifice a few trimmings that Brittany offer.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi lesley we are looking to go end of july 2009 the prices i was quoted are for midweek sailing ta andrew
You should have the better deal midweek however, unless you book your site with the CC you will not get the ITX fare. We travelled this August and booked with the company "Camping Cheques". The price with Brittany in/out Cherbourg was about

JTS

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi All,

You can now check Brittany Ferries sailings for 2009. They updated their website yesterday. Quite a few changes from the past few years.

Good luck.JTS.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Appears to be improvements on the sailing times both to and from (Cherbourg and Caen roytes) but as yet do not seem to have any special offers. Just had a quote for over

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
We have already booked LD lines Ports/Le havre for next June. Last night I went into Brittany ferries website and compared Ports/Caen, the times and accomodation were the same. LD were

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Andrew

Looded at LD website to night and I think I might book with them on the Portsmouth to Le Harve crossing.

What are the cabins like, we are looking at a 4 birth outside with facilites, they look as good if not better than Brittany Ferries, also we are going to book 2 sleeper seats for my daughter and her boyfriend.

Am I right in saying you are also going to the Vendee?

If so have you found a good route down?

Many thanks

Allyson

What is the deposit?

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
Hi allyson

We have not booked for the ferry yet due to having to pay the full price when you book with LD Lines unlike Brittany Ferries who only need a deposit,we have a expensive month with car tax(4x4 car don't get me going)kids birthdays etc so may need to wait until payday,not looked at cabins,we are going to try day sailing,we tried the sleeper seats this year on brittany ferries and found it quite difficult to sleep.I have not planned the route or site yet but looked on via mitchellin for the recommended route seems pretty straight forward.

andrew.

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Andrew

Sorry I should have addressed this to Andrew (Wimborne)

Like you we booked Britany last year, we had a cabin due to the over night crossing, could have a saving of

Dec 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Allyson.

We actually used the Sleeper beds on LD in Sept as we changed a booking and the cabins had all gone. It is a seperate lounge and we found the beds comfortable. You are supplied with a blanket but you need to take a pillow if you use one. It was all very clean and the lounge has its own refreshment area and toilets. The only negative is that there is a bit of noise due to people going to the loo and a bit of snoaring. The beds go completely flat. Whilst LD have only been operating one boat on the crossing cabins have been in short supply as the boat used to be used on the Kent crossing therefore not many cabins required. A second boat will obviously be built to suit the crossing and comes into service in November i believe. We have only used the two birth cabins and they have been the same as any other ferry.

We are going to the Dordodgne next year in June.

You do have to pay in total when you book with LD but the savings are so big that I can live with that.

Andrew

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Allyson,

We've Travelled both Britany & LD Le Havre or Caen in practical terms very little distance difference.

Book Early for cabins on LD, If you use the sleeping seats they are very good and comfortable, well screened. REMEMBER if you use them Take Your Own Pillow and ear plugs essential if any one else snoores.

Jul 6, 2008
Visit site
Allyson,

We've Travelled both Britany & LD Le Havre or Caen in practical terms very little distance difference.

Book Early for cabins on LD, If you use the sleeping seats they are very good and comfortable, well screened. REMEMBER if you use them Take Your Own Pillow and ear plugs essential if any one else snoores.
hi we have just booked through camping and caravan club portsmouth to le harve we travel on a tuesday in late may and return late june we are going with ld ferries and the total return crossing including caravan with a lunch time out and a tea time back was 275.00 return hope this helps franklin

TRENDING THREADS