le Grau du Roi

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Been to Boucanet a couple of times but that was in September. It has a nice loction and facilities are not too bad. Nice pool. Pitches are very sandy so you need to select carefully. Site staff always willing to come and help if you get stuck.

David

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We might just be there too! It's a site we've been back to several times, and although it's now more 'statics' than it used to be, the beachside location and the light in the evening, plus the on-site facilities, more than make up for the more crowded nature of the site. Le Grau du Roi is fantastic.

Boucanet takes Camping Cheques in May - but I presume you already know this. If not, you could save quite an amount.

Mar 23, 2006
Visit site
Many thanks for the replies.

Hooking up on monday and away we go!!

Cannot wait to get away from all the doom and gloom, no Tv and papers ----BLISS

John

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Another nice Camping Cheque site (seven nights for six cheques, or 14 for 11), down that way, is Camping Neptune, at Agde. It's on the route from the old town of Agde, to Grau d'Agde (not Cap d'Agde of the naturist beaches fame). It's alongside the Herault river, with a cycle path to both Agde (and the Canal du Midi) and Grau d'Agde. Nice beach at the Grau end, small market there once a week, and a good market twice weekly in Agde. The restaurant, Lou Pescadou, where Rick Stein ate, is nearby. Pitches are a good size, hedged between, there's a smallish pool, and the sanitary facilities are fine. There's an enormous Super U nearby, with absolutely everything you could need (including a cement mixer, should you be so inclined!!!)

Have a good trip. We're off to Egypt shortly, and then France in early May - and I'm looking forward to France with the caravan, more than the flight to Egypt to stay with friends.

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
Hi, we had 10 days at this site in September last year but didn't like it. It certainly has a lovely pool and the location is fine. It seemed to us that if you didn't have a beach side pitch you'd be crammed in like sardines and would be struggling with a van more than 20' long. We did have a beach side pitch and my 4x4 struggled so much in the deep, loose sand we had to use the on site help to get pitched (brute force and smelling clutch on their 4x4). The sand is very fine and we found it really dusty. By the time we left everything was filthy. I sound like a real misery (and I'm really not)but the final straw was the inability to peg down the awning in the loose sand. I had to move large boulders from the sea wall just to stop it blowing away in the Mistral. Several awnings took off while we were there. We'll be looking for grass this year. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it - most people do - it must be me.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I think it's a question of 'expectations' Homer. I agree with everything you say about the site - but then we didn't go to a beachside site anticipating grass pitches. There's something about the sand between your toes..... and we don't really mind that the sand gets everywhere - it's easy enough to sweep up when you get home. We've been back several times - and each time say 'It's getting more crowded ....we'll not come back.....' - but keep being drawn back by the location, the light in the evening over the beach, the sunsets, the Camargue nearby, the walk along the beach into Grau du Roi, the market, the bull-festival in early September, no killing, just cowboys running the bulls through the streets and street entertainment everywhere, the fresh fish available on the harbour, and the weather!! We're 'weather-followers' and go where the sun is forecast, and each time it's forecast in that area!

We've been lucky and not had strong winds - but we only use our awning as a sunshade anyway - we rarely put the panels in these days, and just use a storm strap over the top to hold the canopy in case of winds.

We're off again in May - and it's already 'calling us' back!

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
I think it's a question of 'expectations' Homer. I agree with everything you say about the site - but then we didn't go to a beachside site anticipating grass pitches. There's something about the sand between your toes..... and we don't really mind that the sand gets everywhere - it's easy enough to sweep up when you get home. We've been back several times - and each time say 'It's getting more crowded ....we'll not come back.....' - but keep being drawn back by the location, the light in the evening over the beach, the sunsets, the Camargue nearby, the walk along the beach into Grau du Roi, the market, the bull-festival in early September, no killing, just cowboys running the bulls through the streets and street entertainment everywhere, the fresh fish available on the harbour, and the weather!! We're 'weather-followers' and go where the sun is forecast, and each time it's forecast in that area!

We've been lucky and not had strong winds - but we only use our awning as a sunshade anyway - we rarely put the panels in these days, and just use a storm strap over the top to hold the canopy in case of winds.

We're off again in May - and it's already 'calling us' back!
Hi, you're absolutely right. The site was as advertised and the location is superb. Plenty to do and see. I guess I just prefer grass, rivers and trees as a change to the beach where we are lucky enough to live. Just had a lovely 10 days on a farm in Pembroke - if only we had Med weather. I'm slightly envious - have good holiday.

TRENDING THREADS