Le Vieux Port - Gascony

May 9, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Getting very excited about our first trip abroad with a caravan (Third trip in a caravan full stop!!). Has anyone been to Le Vieux Port before?

Last year we camped at Du Jard, La Tranche Sur Mer and loved it.

Regards

Anthony

Sep 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Anthony,

we went to messanges a few years ago and stayed in a mobile home(life before caravan!).it`s a large site that gets very busy peak season but it seems to cater quite well.Direct access to the sea is great... if you like surfing, not so good for young kids!there is a large supermarket a mile down the road with an excellent cycle route behind it(an old railway line)leading to towns ,villages and swimming lakes.the site is fine as long as you don`t mind it busy.The only warning i would give is to stay away from the stables as when we turned up the flies were unbearable...so much so that we complained and were moved...may not be a problem for tourers as you may be elsewhere on the site.

regards,

Dave.

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi Anthony

Went there about 10 years ago. Lovely area, not too busy even in high season. Campsite is though. We too stayed in a mobile home but the thing I do remember is the ants, just could not keep them out of the mobile home. I wonder if its because this site is basically all based on sand.

Nice walk down to the beach with a mega up and down hill (sand dune) that should do your thigh and calf muscles the world of good.

Also, good walk into the local village (cant remember the name now) and walk back along the beach.

Best sunset I ever saw here whilst walking back with the fam, carrying a buggy....

I'd go back

G

We stayed at Vieux Port last June

Its a large site with good size pitches and good facilities plus direct access to the beach (big waves quite rough)

Dont know what its like in peak but in June it was 70% full, the only issue we had was that we fancied a dip in the pool but it was extremely busy, couldnt get a sunbed or actually swim !

However the facilities were all clean and well looked after

Anything else you want to know please ask !

May 9, 2008
Visit site
Thank you very much Dave, Ian & Simon,

What were the roads liek leading to the pitches? I have not mastered the art of reversing onto a pitch yet so should be very interesting!!

We can't wait to go, don't mind it busy as had alot of hol's on Haven sites were you end up queing for everything.

Regards

Anthony

Sep 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

i`m sure you`ll be fine.Failing that there are a load of people that will push you for beer!!On a serious note,i can`t remember where the tourers were, but the site is not too bad for tracks etc.(they got the big statics in !).Just watch out for the trees,there are hundreds of them!!

regards,

Dave

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Hi Anthony, our family of four stayed there last summer and had a great time. Kids 13 and 11 loved the facilities and the beach is fantastic, though current and waves strong. The site is large, very busy and the ptiches irregular (ie random shapes among the trees) and getting into some could be difficult for bigger outfits - our twin axle 28ft only went on with aid of the mover. Suggest you do what I did and when arriving leave the van and car with the Mrs have a bike handy and cycle with the guide to look over your pitch before taking your van in. Also, the trees drop cones and lots of sap that can be a ****** to get off the windows! Great place tho and would go back but this year fancied Italy and South of France. Enjoy. Michael

May 9, 2008
Visit site
Hello Michael,

Should be no problem for me then as my twin axle is only 26ft!!! What motor mover do you have for a 27ft twin axle? Might be worth me investing in one...

I look forward to the challenge of getting onto the pitch, I will certainly leave the van with the Mrs and have a look first.

Thanks for the advice

Anthony

Jun 4, 2008
Visit site
Had truma caravan mover fitted by Miriad Products just after we bought twin axle 4 years ago - Mrs thought my reversing not up to scratch! Not cheap - over a grand - but has been very uiseful. Dont get me wrong the pitches arent small and Les Vieux Port but if the site is very busy it can be an issue getting a good reversing path that avoids other vans, awnings, cars etc - not to mentions the many trees. Ive been told the pitches in Italy are small so the mover may come into its own this year!

Also - a drive down to Biarritz is well worth a day out and the local market is only a short cysle away and worth a visit for good local produce - but cant remember what days its on.

Michael

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts