Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi We’ve got a 2015 Bailey Valencia just had it serviced and engineer found water ingress from roof cross strip over the bed. The van is still under 12 month warranty period from dealer and they have agreed to carry out repairs but unable to take it into workshop for 2 weeks with wet weather we are having we want to try to prevent any further damage any advice on any tape etc we can use that will not mark the top of the van when it’s removed. Any advice appreciated

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For such a short period Duct tape will be fine. You can buy silver, clear or white. I used some fir five months whilst awaiting a new rear panel that had cracked. Any residue remove with white spirit or sticky stuff remover.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Same as OC, but I have used Clear GORRILA TAPE. Any PVC tape would work well , just be careful up there, use a ladder with protection around the awning rail area

Reactions: Annie3
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
For such a short period of time I wouldn't bother!
There is no wood in the roof and nothing to absorb, and therefore be damaged, by the small amount if water that is getting in. However if you feel you want to pretty much anything other than sellotape will do the job short term. Also, if you want to, raise one side of the caravan so any rain water runs off the side. As if you lower the front or back, because the roof strap runs across it, and is higher than the surface of tge roof, water will pool against one or other edge. If you do tape the strap be sure to use a spreader board to minimise the chances of you damaging the roof with a knee etc.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
For such a short period of time I wouldn't bother!
There is no wood in the roof and nothing to absorb, and therefore be damaged, by the small amount if water that is getting in. However if you feel you want to pretty much anything other than sellotape will do the job short term. Also, if you want to, raise one side of the caravan so any rain water runs off the side. As if you lower the front or back, because the roof strap runs across it, and is higher than the surface of tge roof, water will pool against one or other edge. If you do tape the strap be sure to use a spreader board to minimise the chances of you damaging the roof with a knee etc.
The vans I’ve had with a cross van roof strap have been accessible just by using extending step ladders which I lay against the roof using foam pipe insulation or a foam kneeling mat. I’ve not had need to go onto the roof.

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
A caravan is at least 2.1m wide, are your arms over a metre long? If not how do you reach the middle AND be able to apply sufficient downward pressure to fix any tape in place?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A caravan is at least 2.1m wide, are your arms over a metre long? If not how do you reach the middle AND be able to apply sufficient downward pressure to fix any tape in place?
By putting my ladder near the Center of the rear panel access is easy.

EDF8E9FD-EDD6-4CF7-9998-3BAEE9D3EC3E.jpeg

Last edited:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We had water ingress from a roof strap. 2018 Bailey Pegasus. Waited months for a part. Don’t ask me which part, I didn’t think it need one but what do I know. Tried to tape across the roof strap but it didn’t work. Less worried about water ingress causing damp; much more worried about the water that was pouring into the van and developing into a swimming pool in the end bedroom. It was saturating the plethora of incontinence bed mats that we had spread everywhere. So do bother to do something about it. This was all during 2020/21 lockdowns as well. We were on a seasonal pitch in North Wales and the lovely owner and farmer, John, put the van into a barn otherwise it would have been a right off, Good luck
Mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts