Leaking Door Frame

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Gosh I haven't posted on here for ages. Need a bit of advice. I seem to have a leak between the external door frame and the wall of the caravan. The door is the Hartal type with screw fixings on small brackets on the inside of the caravan. These are then covered by a large white lip seal again on the inside. The caravan is a 2007 Vanmaster, but I have seen the same door on many other makes of caravan. I want to take the whole frame out and reseal it but am not sure whether this is possible. If it's bedded in with non setting mastic then I guess it is. But maybe these frames are bonded in in which case I think I might damage something getting it out. Can anyone offer an opinion? If it is mastic should I reseal with a tape or use a round section of mastic? Many thanks.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
At 2007 it probably uses non setting mastic, but even if one of the bonding mastics it will come out, just take your time freeing it up.
To reseal, clean all old mastic off both frame and van, use a good bead of gunned mastic such as Soudall Fixall., or Sikaflex (Soudall is easier to use and finish, and is cheaper)

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Damian. Since the post I've taken the big white seal off the inside and I think I can see what looks like the edges of grey mastic tape in places which would make sense.

I've also got a tiny leak, 18% moisture at a bottom corner of the battery box. Can I use the Soudall Fixall for that as well?

Is Soudall Fixall permanent or can it be removed if necessary at a later date?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts