Leaky roof strap

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
Hi. just returned from Norfolk where the weather was atrocious and have suffered a water leak on my Bailey Phoenix which is coming from the rear roof strap. What is the best sealant/ mastic or method to repair this?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This might help Damian was a caravan engineer and Moderator to this site. Alternatively Eternabond orc Rooflock butyl tape is another option.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Baileys were known for leaky roof straps. Ours was repaired under warranty. If yours is still in warranty check with the dealer. It “required a part”; but goodness knows why.
Mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
What year is your Phoenix Skinnyshins? Water ingress warranty claim maybe? 6 year and 10 year s were available at new .

The Alu-Tech has a slightly different strip to the earlier models like mine as described by Damian.
Whilst mine is bonded and screwed I think yours is just bonded.
It is not a difficult job, more time consuming and working at a height . Cleaning off all the old sealant is crucial to avoid further ingress and ensuring a good bond. The new strips are inexpensive available from Bailey.

Some people have taken a different route and used the commercially available overlap tape strip seals. The tape covers your existing rail.
Make sure too the awning rail seal is good.
Use Sikaflex or Soudal RV61

Jul 13, 2024
Visit site
What year is your Phoenix Skinnyshins? Water ingress warranty claim maybe? 6 year and 10 year s were available at new .

The Alu-Tech has a slightly different strip to the earlier models like mine as described by Damian.
Whilst mine is bonded and screwed I think yours is just bonded.
It is not a difficult job, more time consuming and working at a height . Cleaning off all the old sealant is crucial to avoid further ingress and ensuring a good bond. The new strips are inexpensive available from Bailey.

Some people have taken a different route and used the commercially available overlap tape strip seals. The tape covers your existing rail.
Make sure too the awning rail seal is good.
Use Sikaflex or Soudal RV61
Thanks Dustydog.
Van is 2019 but it was a private second hand purchase 2 years ago so don't think I have much chance with a Bailey dealer.
Have had a look and there are brackets and bolts, 7 of, attaching the strap.
I'm going to tackle the job myself so thanks for your info

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Thanks Dustydog.
Van is 2019 but it was a private second hand purchase 2 years ago so don't think I have much chance with a Bailey dealer.
Have had a look and there are brackets and bolts, 7 of, attaching the strap.
I'm going to tackle the job myself so thanks for your info
Even though it was bought privately,i f you transferred the warranty and had it serviced annually, you may be able to claim?

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts